Which of these Heavyweight prospects will reach the top?

WelshDevilRob

Also, Matty Askin. Askin is the stand-out. Others all look decent.

?

Askin was a CW, and retired in 2018. Actually not a bad boxer. He held his own against Lawrence "The Octopus" Okolie. but...

Is there a current HW with the same name? I can't find him.

• Like 2

?

Askin was a CW, and retired in 2018. Actually not a bad boxer. He held his own against Lawrence "The Octopus" Okolie. but...

Is there a current HW with the same name? I can't find him.

My bad. It's not Askin...Doh. Matty Harris. Harris moves well for a tall guy. Nice looking power.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anderson, Ajagba, Torrez all TopRank fighters on the same card recently. Torrez still a baby. Anderson still in the developmental stage as a prospect. Ajagba, formerly with PBC, furthest along; came off an extended injury layoff so just getting his mojo back. All being matched softly as per TopRank-usual. Also typically the promotional hype outweighs reality but Ajagba should be at the 10-round level now. Take the reins off, let him spread his wings and make some noise that can be heard the TopRank bubble. He's got the goods in my view. Something along the lines of a Hrgovic-Zhang matchup, i.e. two buzz-worthy names where a win truly moves the needle. Not the type of risk Arum typically takes with his assets - unlike Hearn - but one can hope.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't fight each other!   lol.      (One could only wish....)

#########   SPOILERS    #########

Both fights went about as expected.

Ajagba plowed through a complete tomato can,  while Anderson did his sweet thing and completely dominated a seemingly decent opponent, who actually tried to win.

-----------------

Both of these guys are excellent fighters, IMO,  but Anderson is on a different level.  Combine Ali with Norton,  and that's pretty much him.  (but with much better defense than either of them.)

Yeah, he hasn't been proven yet against a top-tier opponent, but the skills and power are obvious.  (Plus, Fury said that Anderson gave him holy hell in sparring.)   I don't see him losing anytime in the next 5 years.  (Unless he faces Big Mak, in which case he'd probably still win but I would bet actual money on it.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SPOILER ALERT

/

/

/

/

Comments on Lerena vs Wach 17 Sep 2022

/

/

/

/

/

Never expected Lerena to be able to stop a guy the size of Wach. Prepared for 12 laborious rounds and that's what we got. However Lerena was impressive with the way he could land impactful punches and quickly get outta dodge. It was hardly Haye vs Valuev and more Usyk-esque. Mind, everything Usyk has, Lerena has in smaller proportions. But he's got a nice package of skills and brings enough power to make an impression on full-sized heavyweights. To be sure, he'll face quicker heavyweights than Wach and therein lies the peril of generating the necessary offense while avoiding getting whacked. But Lerena's performance against Wach was encouraging for his prospects as a factor as a heavyweight.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 3:42 AM, Ledhed1 said:

Gurgen Hovhannisyan Huge guy. Could drop some weight to get even faster afoot and improve his hand speed but not bad as it is. Considering he's just 24 with 3 pro fights thus far. Armenian being developed in Southern California. Been getting spots on PBC undercards from his debut.

Just watched his fight with Michael Polite Coffee and hugely impressed with him. Only his fourth fight but he looks a natural. Lot of ability and keeps coming. He'll get in the Top 10 at least.

• Thanks 1

Gurgen Hovhannisyan (4-0, 4 KOs), trained by Joe Goosen, is one to watch in the Heavyweight division. The Armenian is fighting in the USA and just stopped Michael Polite-Coffee.
Hovhannisyan is a big man, looks like something out of the Munsters, but only 24 years old. Has decent speed and work rate, he puts it on his opponents. His chin looks decent as well.

gurgen-hovhannisyan.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WelshDevilRob said:

Just watched his fight with Michael Polite Coffee and hugely impressed with him. Only his fourth fight but he looks a natural. Lot of ability and keeps coming. He'll get in the Top 10 at least.

I dunno.

I just watched the same fight,  and thought Gurgen was way too easy to hit, and had very slow feet when trying to back away.  He has huge, thudding power, but not much else.

Canon fodder for the top ten crowd, IMO.

Of course, Goosen is elite, and must see something in him, so let's see how "GHov"  develops......

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 4:22 AM, Cableaddict said:

I dunno.

I just watched the same fight,  and thought Gurgen was way too easy to hit, and had very slow feet when trying to back away.  He has huge, thudding power, but not much else.

Canon fodder for the top ten crowd, IMO.

Of course, Goosen is elite, and must see something in him, so let's see how "GHov"  develops......

Just power? I watched a guy with very good work-rate. Only his 4th professional fight. Wilder was beating nobodies, at this stage, and long after.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Mourad Aliev

This guy's a big dude. Southpaw. Turned pro after the Tokyo Games. Split 2 fights there with Frazer Clarke. Still a baby professionally but up to 10 round level now. Based in Germany. A bit slow and plodding but when put under pressure, he perks up. Has a solid skillset and ability to be light on his feet for his size. Should be brought along gradually in his Universum cocoon. Needs to develop more of a natural mean streak to inflict his power more consistently on his opponents. Good fundamental base to work from. May be a limited ceiling under his current management/promoter but given his background - he's been around; born in Moscow, represented France as an amateur - perhaps he's got a desire for upward movement and expands his horizons.

• Like 1

Well Lenier Pero got the win but it wasn't an impressive display. True, he beat a fellow prospect but he was behind on the scores IMO, in a competitive contest.
Viktor Vykhryst surprised me by how well he boxed and he had Pero in trouble at one point.

But, the ending reminded me of Andrew Golota. A swiping/stabbing body shot and the big Ukrainian surrendered. Strange one.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 4:59 PM, Ledhed1 said:

Mourad Aliev

This guy's a big dude. Southpaw. Turned pro after the Tokyo Games. Split 2 fights there with Frazer Clarke. Still a baby professionally but up to 10 round level now. Based in Germany. A bit slow and plodding but when put under pressure, he perks up. Has a solid skillset and ability to be light on his feet for his size. Should be brought along gradually in his Universum cocoon. Needs to develop more of a natural mean streak to inflict his power more consistently on his opponents. Good fundamental base to work from. May be a limited ceiling under his current management/promoter but given his background - he's been around; born in Moscow, represented France as an amateur - perhaps he's got a desire for upward movement and expands his horizons.

I still need to find and download this fight.
I watched some of these guys' fights in the build-up, as the fight was in a prediction league. Aliev seemed to make heavy work of veteran Yakup Saglam, while Kiydin had a slugfest with Hemi Ahio but was sparked in a round.
Agree with your assessment of Aliev. The potential certainly there, with the right development.

• Thanks 1