Which of these Heavyweight prospects will reach the top?

WelshDevilRob

A couple of good ones there.

It will be fun to see Ortiz humiliate Martin. - And if Martin somehow is an improved fighter these days and pulls it out, then that's a great win and good for the division.

(Just don't put any money on that happening.)

Negron is a good test for Sanchez.

The rest don't wow me, but heck, ANY HW bout is a good bout, IMO.

• Like 1

Another loss for Dominic Breazeale will finish his career. Good timing by Ali Eren Demirezen. A win for the Turk, can get him some more paydays.

Good to see Michael Polite Coffie trying to avenge a defeat, and swiftly. Think he's found his limit and wouldn't be surprised to see Rice complete the job.

Viktor Vykhryst could become a contender, he has decent amateur pedigree. Iago Kiladze is the right opponent, at the right time.

A bit of Heavyweight action tonight, in New York. Only the Chaney vs Arias fight looks competitive.

Michael Hunter 222 vs. Jerry Forrest 231

Cassius Chaney 249.4 vs. George Arias 225.6

Trey Lippe-Morrison 236.2 vs. Mike Balogun 235.2

Venue: Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC

Promoter: Triller

TV: FITE

Wow.

Nice heads up!

Hunter is WAAAY to good to be wasting his time with Forrest, but maybe a fan-friendly KO will get him back into the mix, where he belongs. I'd LOVE to see him rematch Usyk, only this time at HW.

Love me some Georege Arias. He's not very good, but his style is so bizarre that he's always fun to watch.

And Trey is back. Yowsah !

Edited by Cableaddict

I'm watching the Hunter fight right now.

Forrest appears totally outclassed in terms of skill, but Hunter doesn't look good. His arms seem very slow, especially his jab. And he doesn't seem very motivated.

Maybe he's getting old?

Forrest is a caveman, but he has tons of power and looks motivated. Hunter had better be careful here.

Edited by Cableaddict

Well, that sure was uninspired.

Two lethargic sea lions, wrestling on the beach.

And a terrible decision.

Sad to see Hunter has faded so badly, but that was embarrassing. The draw was a gift. Neither of these guys deserved to have their names remembered.

Oh well ................

US Heavyweight prospects like Stephan Shaw (13-0), Trey Lippe (17-0) and Cassius Chaney (18-0) not on the list and understandable.

Darmani Rock (17-0) and Sonny Conto (6-0) might be better bets.

--- Trey Morrison 1st rd KO blowout loss in Triller card and Chaney a load of shut out. Maybe they can stage a comeback, but in the meantime Josh/Usyk where the heavy action will be.

^ Probably the best thing that could have happened to Trey Lippe.

Sometimes huge-power fighters need a wakeup call.

I still think he's a very serious prospect.

----------

I still can't get over how bad Hunter looked. That draw was a gift from the corrupt boxing gods.

I think he's done at the elite level, sad to say.

This is a much better matchup than the original

https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/12/9/22826211/carlos-takam-injured-tony-yoka-vs-martin-bakole-set-january-15-paris-boxing-news-2021

I'm going for a Bakole win or a bad decision in Yoka's favour.

Wow. That's some fight. A real test of the French Olympian. Takam made sense cos of the French angle but he's seen better days. Bakole is very alive and hungry.

Woo HOOOO !

Bakole gonna' make Yoka wish his people had never paid for that Olympic gold medal he "won."

Yoka moves well, and he has a really solid chin (why he's still undefeated) but his defense is pretty awful. He gets tagged a lot, by guys that shouldn't be able to. Heck, even David Allen was teeing off on him.

Bakole is not a complete fighter, but his defense is "good enough" and he's a MONSTER puncher, and with an excellent variety of punches to choose from.

Yeah, he lost to Hunter, but A: Hunter was at that time very underrated as a HW (though I think he's mentally done now) and B: Bakole hurt his shoulder halfway through that fight, and survived by basically only jabbing.

If Bakole has a serious weakness, it might be his (lack of) desire to stay in shape. Yoka might have a chance if he can survive to the very late rounds, but I seriously doubt he can do that.

My prediction: Yoka is going to sleep, within 8 rounds.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Arslanbek Makhmudov:

Three decent wins post-pandemic, including dismantling Erkan Teper in one round. - And he’s scheduled to fight Wach on Jan 22nd, if Covid doesn’t screw things up.

I dunno if Wach is even a credible test these days, but at least it will be a recognizeable name on Mak’s scalp list.

——---------

Bakhodir Jalalov: They set ‘em up, he knocks ‘em down.

Three more KO’s since my last mention, and two of those opponents had pretty respectable records.

----------------

- And Sonny Conto continues to KO the stiffs they put in front of him.

He also continues to enjoy his pasta with clam sauce.

Fawgeddaboudit !

Arslanbek Makhmudov:

Three decent wins post-pandemic, including dismantling Erkan Teper in one round. - And he’s scheduled to fight Wach on Jan 22nd, if Covid doesn’t screw things up.

I dunno if Wach is even a credible test these days, but at least it will be a recognizeable name on Mak’s scalp list.

——---------

Bakhodir Jalalov: They set ‘em up, he knocks ‘em down.

Three more KO’s since my last mention, and two of those opponents had pretty respectable records.

----------------

- And Sonny Conto continues to KO the stiffs they put in front of him.

He also continues to enjoy his pasta with clam sauce.

Fawgeddaboudit !

- - Even at 90 yrs Arum still loves his "Boutique" fighters. He'll prop em up on undercards with the usual suspects that they will at least have to fight.

Then they want a title shot and it's cash out city.

• 2 weeks later...
Think we can rule Viktor Vykhryst out. Iago Kiladze put him down a couple of times, in a shoot-out. Viktor is big but his defence is terrible, he's rigid and easy to hit.

Hopefully, he's learned from this war. But, his chin looks of the David Price variety.

He's still undefeated.

THis guy wasn't even on my radar.

I just checked out a few of his fights (Not Kiladze) and he actually looks pretty decent. Nice footwork, excellent accuracy, the ability to land from way outside, and he keeps his head back & safe. Not all that different from Wlad, in many ways.

But yeah the rest of his defense seems lacking, and while he has good arm speed, his overall movement is a bit stiff.

But he's still "only" 29 y-o. I think he might have a serious career with the right trainer.

I'm watching Vykhryst vs Kiladze now, and I can't quite figure out what he's doing wrong in there. He mostly gets tagged when he attacks. I think maybe he's slightly dropping his left arm after he jabs.

Also he sometimes doesn't get out of the pocket as fast as he should, after a combination.

Also, to be fair, while Kiladze has huge holes in his game, he's extremely awkward, and has very fast hands.

He's exactly the kind if fighter that could catch anybody, on any given night, but has no hope of ever reaching the top ten.

Some North American Heavyweight's that are building.

Timothy Moten (10-0-1, 6 KOs) from Louisville, Kentucky. 29-years-old and only 5'9. Been sparring AJ a lot. A fun watch.

Hilarious! You gotta' LOVE a 5'9" HW, although this guy looks like a SMW who's had way too many chicken & bisquit dinners.

And not a whole lotta' skill going on there. He reminds me a lot of Chisora.

A really, really fat Chisora, who needs a ladder to reach the cookie jar on top of the refrigerator.

I'm watching Vykhryst vs Kiladze now, and I can't quite figure out what he's doing wrong in there. He mostly gets tagged when he attacks. I think maybe he's slightly dropping his left arm after he jabs.

Also he sometimes doesn't get out of the pocket as fast as he should, after a combination.

Also, to be fair, while Kiladze has huge holes in his game, he's extremely awkward, and has very fast hands.

He's exactly the kind if fighter that could catch anybody, on any given night, but has no hope of ever reaching the top ten.

Just watched it myself. Vykhryst has little head movement but actually the issue is probably he doesn't have a good chin. Those weren't flash knockdowns, he was genuinely stunned and hurt.

Just watched it myself. Vykhryst has little head movement but actually the issue is probably he doesn't have a good chin. Those weren't flash knockdowns, he was genuinely stunned and hurt.

I agree about his chin. He wasn't tagged all that hard, and yet he was indeed definitely stunned.

I guess he's even more like Wlad than his people would like. :laugh:

- But the guy still has serious potential. Definitely a fighter to keep an eye on.