Which of these Heavyweight prospects will reach the top?

WelshDevilRob

• 3 weeks later...
Trevor Bryan isn't even on my radar.

How did he look?

--- Looked like one would expect 91 yr old DKing lingering stink to look.

Tubby Cajun on short notice quickly adapted to the modest Bryan pace and style to do some ransacking.

At this point, Canelo would have an easier adjustment to Byron's heavywt title than that of Maka.

• 4 weeks later...
Lenar Perez. He's a Cuban cruiserweight based in Russia. Hasn't even had a 10-round fight yet. 6'5" and 24 yo. Plenty of time to add bulk and be an Usyk-sized heavyweight. Moves well and punches from a wide variety of angles. At this early stage of his career I'd only question his competitive motor as he seems to be a "tapper" meaning that when he gets in close he's not inclined to punch but rather tap his opponent on the shoulder as if to say "ok let's break." But he's still at the development stage as a pro. Get in on the ground floor on this guy.
  • Like 1

Lenar Perez. He's a Cuban cruiserweight based in Russia. Hasn't even had a 10-round fight yet. 6'5" and 24 yo. Plenty of time to add bulk and be an Usyk-sized heavyweight. Moves well and punches from a wide variety of angles. At this early stage of his career I'd only question his competitive motor as he seems to be a "tapper" meaning that when he gets in close he's not inclined to punch but rather tap his opponent on the shoulder as if to say "ok let's break." But he's still at the development stage as a pro. Get in on the ground floor on this guy.

Good call. I just watched Perez vs Vilchitsky. An excellent fight, BTW!

Perez has excellent hand speed and throws aggressive combos. He also uses angles well, as you wrote. Nice.

His balance seems great (Was he a Cuban amateur?) And overall not making any glaring mistakes.

I see what you mean about not going for it on the inside, though he did throw a few nice body shots at one point. He should be doing more of that.

My reservations:

Despite that hand speed, and despite his record, (which probably has a lot of "paid for" TKO's) he may not have enough power for HW, though. Hard to say, but he landed flush on Igor quite a few times, and didn't seem to stun him, until the end.

Another issue is his defense. Despite being Cuban, he doesn't show much of that Pedro Diaz legacy movement, preferring to block punches with his arms & gloves. - An odd style for a fighter that doesn't like engaging on the inside.

And finally - This fight was excellent because the 2 men seemed almost evenly matched. - And then I checked Boxrec and Igor is currently 5-3, so not likely a serious contender.

Makes you go "Hmmmmm...."

Still, Perez is a real firecracker, and that speed is really fun to watch. With the right trainer, he could definitely go places.

- Also note that I'm very often completely wrong about these things. :wave:

Fun to be "in on the ground floor," though that usually ends in heartache. lol.....

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

Update:

I just watched Perez' KO of Vilchitsky again. I think it was a dive. That left hook looked like a love tap.

Perez' amateur record was 32-7 with only TWO KO's. Yeah, I know, the ams is different, but still.....

I suspect his pro record is being paid for, and he'll eventually be cashed out against some top fighter. Prior to Igor, he didn't face a single opponent who didn't have more losses than wins, except three guys who had never even fought pro before. (and two of THEM with zero ams experience) - And one of those guys never even fought again. The second of them is currently 0-4, and the third is currently 1-3. Clearly the type of guys that get paid to lose. - As is Perez's seventh opponent, who currently has lost his last 15 bouts in a row.

And again, Igor took some fast & flush shots for 3 rounds, then went down when Perez apparently tried to lightly brush some soot off of Igor's face with his left hand.

Well, Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Perez is legit. I have to watch some of his earlier fights.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

Couple guys I saw this past weekend...

Demsey McKean. Australian southpaw. Getting spots on Matchroom cards lately. He's been the Australian and Asia Pacific champion. KO'd Johnny Rice who went on the beat Michael Coffie twice. 21-0 but had just six scheduled 10 rounders. Quick hands, active jab, moves well for a big guy. Southpaw stance gives opponents an extra piece to the puzzle to solve. Needs to improve his punching accuracy and overall fluidity which should come with more experience against higher level of opposition and more sophisticated training.

Nick Campbell. The Scottish champion. The rawest of prospects with just five pro fights. Scottish champion doesn't carry a high degree of prestige tbh. But that's what he is and he should get some consideration for a shot at the British title down the line if he keeps winning and shows he can hang with the upper level English guys. Big, strong guy. Good athlete. Moves pretty well. Still in very early developmental stage. Physical specimen with tools to mold into a more polished fighter.

• Like 1

Followup on Fabio Wardley. Matchroom fighter. Defended the English heavyweight title since last mention. Full size heavyweight with big power. Getting some buzz for a shot at the British title. Joyce is likely past being interested in defending, so now's as good a time as any to match Wardley with another top 10-15 British heavyweight for the vacant title.

Followup on Fabio Wardley. Matchroom fighter. Defended the English heavyweight title since last mention. Full size heavyweight with big power. Getting some buzz for a shot at the British title. Joyce is likely past being interested in defending, so now's as good a time as any to match Wardley with another top 10-15 British heavyweight for the vacant title.

+1

I'm very much a Wardley fan so far. He's amazingly fast & athletic for such a big guy. Nice feints, good ring generalship, etc.

• Like 1

Amazingly, it looks like Yoka vs Bakole is actually going to happen! Currently scheduled for May 14th.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ivan Dychko again with absolutely nothing on the horizon. Sigh.....

Lukasz Rozanski also MIA, since taking Szpilka out in one round, last May.

Same for undefeated Roney Hines,

Tyrone Spong is evidently leaving boxing (after being screwed out of the Usyk fight) for MMA. I can't say I blame him, given all the blatant corruption in our sport.

-----------------

Sonny Conto just UD'd some guy named Mike Marshall. I haven't seen the fight yet, but Sonny won every round on all three cards, so it should be an interesting fight to watch, so as to judge how his (already very good) skills are developing.

Big Mak also recently beat Wach, in another fight I haven't seen. Well, these days, who DOESN'T beat Wach? But I still gotta' check this one out.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 2

Felix Parada. Cuban based in the Dominican Republic. Good size and power. His weight has fluctuated early on in his career. Could stand to settle on an ideal fighting weight; perhaps replace the excess with more muscle mass. Would improve his speed and athleticism. Just a baby as a pro; plenty of physical tools for a competent trainer to work with.
  • Like 1

Jose Larduet. Another Cuban based abroad this time in Germany. Man-sized heavyweight with big power. Bit of a muscle-bound plodder ala Joe Joyce. If he can develop into a Joyce-level contender, he'd realize his ceiling.

I like how you keep searching the outer rings of our galaxy for young prospects!

Parada doesn't do much for me, but I see what you like in Jose Larduet. He has a sort of "Mike Tyson" thing going, although not as explosive. Even a bit of peekaboo defense and forward attack. Sadly, he's already 32 years old, and his promotor is some guy no one has ever heard of. I'd love to see this guy get pushed along quickly, but that's not likely to happen with such management.

BTW- Did you realize that Larduet fought Makmudov in the WSB?

( A pretty good fight, although you have to just laugh at the scoring for round #2. Same as it ever was.)

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 2

Floyd Masson. An Australian cruiserweight. He's the Australasian champion. He's weighed in over 200 lbs a few times so he could add bulk and pursue the greater riches that heavyweight offers. Southpaw. Good mover, as you'd expect from what may become a smallish heavyweight. Punches in decent volume and effective with both hands. I will say that his frame may be close to maxed out so how much bulk he can add may not be as much as some others. But any cruiser has got to be thinking about taking a shot at heavyweight. Will have to venture outside his cocoon Down Under if he has designs on making a mark.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Claudio Squeo. I tend to lean toward cruiserweights wanting to take a shot at heavyweight riches rather than languish in cruiser purgatory. This guy's an Italian cruiser. Tyson-esque in that he's short n squat and uber-agressive. Good variety of punches from multiple angles. Tough to tell how much more bulk he can add to give himself a fighting chance against the goliaths. He'll always be the smaller guy, but isn't it fun to see how guys of his stature make up for physical disadvantages with high energy and constant pressure.

Claudio Squeo. I tend to lean toward cruiserweights wanting to take a shot at heavyweight riches rather than languish in cruiser purgatory. This guy's an Italian cruiser. Tyson-esque in that he's short n squat and uber-agressive. Good variety of punches from multiple angles. Tough to tell how much more bulk he can add to give himself a fighting chance against the goliaths. He'll always be the smaller guy, but isn't it fun to see how guys of his stature make up for physical disadvantages with high energy and constant pressure.

--- If he's any good, the inaugural BridgetteWt champ Rivas looks ripe for the taking. That could set up a AJ fight since Usyk may not make it out of his Ukrainian War.

• Like 1

All American prospect Heavyweight clash on 29th of April. Two sons of former World Heavyweight champions. The fight takes place at Virgin Hotels Las Vegas, Las Vegas. RJJ is the promoter.

Hasim Rahman Jr vs James McKenzie Morrison.

Rahman, 30, is 12-0, 6 KOs. Started as a professional in 2017. Morrison, 31, is 19-0-2 17 KOs. Started as a professional in 2014.

• Like 1