Which of these Heavyweight prospects will reach the top?

WelshDevilRob

I didn't know that Roy was a promoter now. That's pretty interesting.

I assume he's partnered with some large, already-established firm, yes?

It's hard to get excited about "son of Hasim vs the lesser son of Tommy Gun," but it's still good to see a new player in town.

• Like 1

I didn't know that Roy was a promoter now. That's pretty interesting.

I assume he's partnered with some large, already-established firm, yes?

It's hard to get excited about "son of Hasim vs the lesser son of Tommy Gun," but it's still good to see a new player in town.

--- Roy been a promoter since his p4p LH days, what, 20 years?

• Like 1

I never knew this.

Then again, Roy doesn't have a single recognizable name on his roster, so no wonder.......

MW Connor Coyle might have some small potential, though. Maybe he can be Roy's break-out guy. But I doubt it.

Also, Roy needs to update his website. It seems about 3 years out of date. Sheesh .....

• Like 1

I never knew this.

Then again, Roy doesn't have a single recognizable name on his roster, so no wonder.......

MW Connor Coyle might have some small potential, though. Maybe he can be Roy's break-out guy. But I doubt it.

Also, Roy needs to update his website. It seems about 3 years out of date. Sheesh .....

--- Roy was known for his rap recordings, not his silky software skills.

Sounds like a fun youtube quality bout, so looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Granit Shala. This German has some nice tools. Light on his feet - all things considered - fast hands and some thunder in his fists when he lets his punches go. Unfortunately he carries a lot of extra weight so his skills show out only intermittently because he fatigues so easily. So far it's been enough to get the job done but as he moves up the heavyweight ladder he'll have to work on his conditioning in order to enable himself to utilize those skills on a more consistent basis rather than the infrequent explosion he's presently limited to.
  • Like 1

Granit Shala. This German has some nice tools. Light on his feet - all things considered - fast hands and some thunder in his fists when he lets his punches go. Unfortunately he carries a lot of extra weight so his skills show out only intermittently because he fatigues so easily. So far it's been enough to get the job done but as he moves up the heavyweight ladder he'll have to work on his conditioning in order to enable himself to utilize those skills on a more consistent basis rather than the infrequent explosion he's presently limited to.

That's not a German, but an Albanian, obviously. The syndrome for Albanian fighters so far has been-at first they look promising, but then they fall short of getting anywhere. There hasn't been one that has fought for the world title, to my knowledge. I guess they get too aggressive and don't think enough of defending themselves.

• Like 2

That's not a German, but an Albanian, obviously. The syndrome for Albanian fighters so far has been-at first they look promising, but then they fall short of getting anywhere. There hasn't been one that has fought for the world title, to my knowledge. I guess they get too aggressive and don't think enough of defending themselves.

Based in Germany I should have clarified. He's with AGON Sports. Thanks for the heads-up, Boz.

• Like 2

The syndrome for Albanian fighters so far has been-at first they look promising, but then they fall short of getting anywhere. There hasn't been one that has fought for the world title, to my knowledge. I guess they get too aggressive and don't think enough of defending themselves.

You don't wanna' f#ck with Albanians !

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 2

Ivan Dychko finally has a bout scheduled, for April 16th.

Sadly, again due to his lousy management, he's facing the dreaded "TBA," at only three weeks out.

Just more lost time .........

No good...seems like he really can use better management. He only has 9 fights so far and he's been a pro since when, 2016?

• Like 1

So what do we make of Lerena as a heavyweight? Is he an instant contender coming off stopping Dinu? I've never bought the concept of a fighter's accomplishments at a lower weight having a bearing on his place in a higher division. The alphabets disagree because brand name is taken into consideration when ranking a fighter moving up in weight and granting him opportunities. At times based on one nondescript win or even none. But it's a separate division; an entirely different set of opponents.

That being said, Lerena's accomplished more in one heavyweight fight than Usyk did. Remember Chazz Witherspoon? Neither do I. For a high level prospect - that's the category I'll place him in at heavy - he's got a lot of experience and savvy. He knows how to use his tools to get the job done and compensate for the physical disadvantages he'll face against most opponents. But in order to make some real noise he's going to have to venture outside is home cocoon. He's had only two remotely significant fights outside RSA - one in Azerbaijan and another in Germany against washed up Firat Arslan. Making a splash in Britain or America will give us a better idea of his ceiling. A southpaw not yet 30, he's got a promising future.

• Like 1

Josh Pretorius Another guy who fought on the Lerena-Dinu undercard. I had to be reminded of this guy's ups and downs; yeah he's had some losses. Tian Fick beat him twice, the second time for the South African title. But then Fick lost to Juan Roux. Now Pretorius outpoints Roux for the African and RSA titles. So for all his past setbacks, Pretorius now sits atop the heap. Do we see a third fight with Fick who won a wide points decision the last time? What would be different? Pretorius appears to have taken some lessons since then. He's a smallish heavyweight. Got a Canelo-esque look and style. Stands in solid position to get his punches off against bigger opponents - which most will be - and initiates the exchanges. Not much foot movement - perhaps because he hasn't needed it much yet - but keeps his head off the line and rolls with punches. Still just 28 with solid fundamentals and room for development potential.
  • Like 1

Lerena definitely looks to have high-level boxing skills.

Problem is, he has average-at-best power, even at CW. His only chance even at Bridgitteweight ( :haha: ) is to win on points. - But how is he going to win on points against top opponents who's management has the judges in their pockets?

• Like 1

Lerena definitely looks to have high-level boxing skills.

Problem is, he has average-at-best power, even at CW. His only chance even at Bridgitteweight ( :haha: ) is to win on points. - But how is he going to win on points against top opponents who's management has the judges in their pockets?

- - Man, all these years and you ain't yet figured out how lucrative trilogies work?

30455435198.jpg.34c5c54ac9a931f788c0c25a6962325b.jpg

​​​​​​​

• Like 1

Keep an eye on this kid!

Matty Harris. 6'7 and 22-years-old. Not great amateur background but tried out for the Olympic GB team and passed. But has decided to turn professional.

Just scored a stunning right uppercut Ko, over a novice journeyman (on SkyTV Savannah Marshall card). Mait Metsis had taken three other UK Heavyweight prospects, the full four rounds.

Matty Harris impressed me. Has charisma. Needs to get in better physical shape but in the ring was fine holding, blocking and then throwing. Seems to have good movement to go with the size. Could be a real gem, in the right hands.

• Like 1

Keep an eye on this kid!

Matty Harris. 6'7 and 22-years-old. Not great amateur background but tried out for the Olympic GB team and passed. But has decided to turn professional.

Just scored a stunning right uppercut Ko, over a novice journeyman (TV Savannah Marshall card). Mait Metsis had taken three other UK Heavyweight prospects, the full four rounds.

Matty Harris impressed me. Has charisma. Needs to get in better physical shape but in the ring was fine holding, blocking and then throwing. Seems to have good movement to go with the size. Could be a real gem, in the right hands.

- - Good to see you out and about.

Sounds impressive. Hope he's got a good mgr to leverage his talent. Keeping my eyes open for Matty Harris now.

• Like 2

In other news: (A True Story)

Earlier today, my doctor diagnosed me with mild asthma. He prescribed a daily inhaler with something called "Trelegy Ellipta."

Good thing my insurance covers it, because the bloody thing costs $725 for a 30 day supply.

Now THAT'S what I call a "lucrative Trelegy!" d35383db-00e9-4644-bee6-b7f9dab3f9e6 :haha:

• Like 1