RbyR: David Haye vs Tony Bellew - Thoughts and Predictions

WelshDevilRob

Re: RbyR: David Haye vs Tony Bellew - Thoughts and Predictions

Seems to me Bellew started well, Haye looked slow and sluggish and definitely rusty. Bellew was fight ready and game and won the early rounds. I think Haye was a bit surprised at his lack of speed and Bellew managing to counter him!

From round 3 Haye started finding a bit of a rhythm and was finding some bigger shots, probably expected Bellew to crumb a bit, as many others probably thought (me included).

Then came THAT round where everything changed. Haye's foot/ankle/leg buckles, he staggers and its clear something has gone a bit wrong. His foot was wobbling about, and stuck out to the right and he could hardly walk and keep himself upright and he straight away knew there was an issue and started going for wild hooks to try and blast Bellew out.

From here on in Haye was a sitting duck, with no power in his shots as he couldn't plant the foot. Bellew punched himself out somewhat before composing himself and putting Haye down, and then finally out.

The interviews were even more bizarre than the fight. Haye never mentions the injury, and is more pleading for a rematch, which oddly Bellew seemed rather oblinging about. Haye knew his history of blame on injuries so couldn't use it as an excuse but knows the only chance of more big paydays is for a rematch.

There's no way of any fix involved. There was the rumour of Haye having an injury but he never mentioned it being any issue before the fight, but the fact something ruptured that easily seems like it was an underlying issue.

Both of them gained some respect from me though to be honest. Bellew was pretty gracious in his victory and Haye didn't quit when he so easily could have done with that injury! And it was good to see them embrace at the end, although it did turn into a love in.

Only way Haye gets back in the ring is if Bellew gives him the rematch he desperately needs, and there might be a demand for it. Though maybe Eddie will swerve that and get Bellew milking the gravy train he's on.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haye was definitely injured, he tried acting and he's no good at it so no way that was put on, he looked very rusty but was starting to dominate when he got injured, i can see Bellew's bank manager fist pumping at the telly when Haye's injury happened, Bellew though is that bad he still made hard work of it and the proof of how bad he is came today when Deontay's team have been in touch to put the feelers out on a possible fight.

I actually don't believe now Haye's first two comeback opponents were actually boxers, more likely from some acting agency for big ugly ex cons

Haye was definitely injured, he tried acting and he's no good at it so no way that was put on, he looked very rusty but was starting to dominate when he got injured, i can see Bellew's bank manager fist pumping at the telly when Haye's injury happened, Bellew though is that bad he still made hard work of it and the proof of how bad he is came today when Deontay's team have been in touch to put the feelers out on a possible fight.

I actually don't believe now Haye's first two comeback opponents were actually boxers, more likely from some acting agency for big ugly ex cons

Haye was definitely NOT injured. I'm not just ragging on Haye, I'm 100% sure of this, and for good reasons.

See my thread on this subject.

Spot on in terms of Haye's injury, Bellew deserves some credit though.

Spot on in terms of Haye's injury, Bellew deserves some credit though.

What is wrong with you guys?

Seriously.

Watch Haye climb back into the ring, one of many moments that he forgot he was supposed to be injured. He puts his entire body weight on that right foot, and doesn't flinch:

TONY BELLEW KNOCKS DAVID HAYE OUT OF THE RING! 2017 - YouTube

Case closed.

Edited by Cableaddict

Spot on, Dave.

I can't get exercised about this, personally - Haye is a known bullshitter but also injury-prone, while Bellew is an overachieving dullard. If they both retire tomorrow, the only impact will be one more belt on the market.

Both looked like they really shouldn't be in the ring this night. Bellew should get back to CW. He doesn't have enough power, so even Haye who could barely move was close to hearing the final bell.

I can't get exercised about this, personally - Haye is a known bullshitter but also injury-prone, while Bellew is an overachieving dullard. If they both retire tomorrow, the only impact will be one more belt on the market.

I largely concur Gav, and where I was once a big Haye fan, he should probably disappear into obscurity from here. Bellew lives on but the circumstances in which he won shouldn't be forgotten. A lot of media seem to be ignoring Haye's clear injury.

Shit, on TalkSport this morning top boozer Alan Brazil was proper perplexed at why the bookies have odds favouring Haye if there was to be a rematch.

Anyway, my issue here is the usual suspect, and others seeing a conspiracy that isn't there regarding a fake injury. Sure he's got previous for finding excuses on an injury, and there were injury concerns going into the bout. But he evidently got injured in there, there was no faking it, and he didn't even bring it up as an excuse at the end!

Injuries happen in the ring and its a fact of the sport...Haye was beaten fair and square, the injury was unfortunate and massively hampered him.

--- Pink knocked hard into the ropes at the start of the first rd. He subsequently mostly looked equally dire. No need to frost a turd for a treat.

Exactly. Haye looked like crap, sloppy clueless and desperate, right from the opening bell.

And this is the end of Haye, who will be surely mentioned among fighters who didn't achieve enough to meet expectations with Chisora KO being his most impressive win.

Exactly. Haye looked like crap, sloppy clueless and desperate, right from the opening bell.
To be fair he looked like exactly what he was, a fighter who has only had 2 glorified exhibition contests in 5 years. By the time the injury happened he was starting to look a bit sharper.

And this is the end of Haye, who will be surely mentioned among fighters who didn't achieve enough to meet expectations with Chisora KO being his most impressive win.

At heavyweight it will, but at cruiserweight there's the Mormeck fight and the Maccarinelli win.

--- Pink knocked hard into the ropes at the start of the first rd. He subsequently mostly looked equally dire. No need to frost a turd for a treat.

Except he could still actually walk at this stage!

He was piss poor, that's not in question. Then again neither is the fact he was injured unless you're a believer in fairytales and living in cloud cookoo land.

Haye was definitely sloppy at the start but to say all the way through is nonsense or blinded by hate because he was definitely warming up to the task and imo he would have stopped Bellew within the next three rounds.

I'm not a Haye fan at all as i think he's cheated the boxing public and could have achieved so much more with the talent and power at his disposal, i bet if he does fight again he won't be training on a yacht in Miami

Can David Haye Beat Tony Bellew In A Rematch? Haye's Keys To Victory

by Lee Skavydis

In what was one of the biggest upsets in British heavyweight boxing, David Haye sensationally lost to Liverpool’s Tony Bellew by way of an 11th round technical knockout when Haye’s corner threw in the towel. The Londoner became injured in the sixth after suffering an acchiles heel injury, which has now received surgical treatment. The former heavyweight champion is currently resting at home.

Eddie Hearn has hinted that winner Bellew may be able to fight for a version of the heavyweight crown in the not too distant future, although Haye wants a rematch and has stated that it can be staged in Bellew’s city of Liverpool. There is no doubt that Bellew’s name has now gained much more stock than it had on Saturday while Haye will probably remain a big name in the sport, at least for the time being while fans consider the possibility that the reason he lost was because of the injury. But how would a rematch fare for both boxers?

Read more: Can David Haye Beat Tony Bellew In A Rematch? Haye's Keys To Victory - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Bellew doesn't deserve a shot at any of the champions. He beat an injured guy who also didn't deserve his high ranking based on the two joke fights he'd had since his comeback. He needs to work his way into contention, but we all know that means absolutely nothing when big money is involved. He struggled to beat an injured Toefaker where any decent heavyweight would have had him straight out of there in that situation.

--- Bellew has entered into that rare zone that all boxers aspire to, that of being a celebrity fighter having dethroned the previous Brit celebrity champ.

The time to cash in is now because there is little money in the cruisers and he can make 10x that if he can maneuver a fight with the right heavy, and reports are he picked Wilder for starters, but Josh/Wlad winner or Parker may pay more. From all his talk it seems he's going the one and done route to retirement.

At heavyweight it will, but at cruiserweight there's the Mormeck fight and the Maccarinelli win.

Yes, I thought only about his heavyweight fights. His cruiserweight resume is impressive.