Do you think Daniel Dubois will be ready for a world title shot next year?

The_budweiser

Promoter Frank Warren expects to have his undefeated heavyweight Daniel ‘Dynamite’ Dubois in a position to fight for the undisputed world championship by the end of 2021.

Dubois 14-0 (13) will face late replacement Ricardo Snijders 18-1 (8) at the BT Sports Studio in London on Saturday night after original opponent Erik Pfeifer 7-0 (5) was forced to withdraw.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2020/08/28/frank-warren-predicts-daniel-dubois-will-be-ready-for-a-world-title-shot-next-year-as-new-joe-joyce-date-is-announced/

Definitely. I think he steamrollers everyone up to the top 4-5 guys and probably a few of those could go over easy!

That said we haven't seen his chin properly tested yet, or what happens when someone doesn't just roll over. He could come a cropper.

Edited by Ton

I don't think he's ready. He has the power to KO all of them but he's still very raw and wild at times and he leave himself open to punches which better opposition would land.

What happened to Whyte from Povetkin, I could see the same happening to Dubois at this stage.

He's got time on his side. If I was his promoter, I wouldn't be in any rush. I'd let him continue to improve and develop to put him in the best possible position for when he challenges for a world title.

I don't think he's ready. He has the power to KO all of them but he's still very raw and wild at times and he leave himself open to punches which better opposition would land.

What happened to Whyte from Povetkin, I could see the same happening to Dubois at this stage.

He's got time on his side. If I was his promoter, I wouldn't be in any rush. I'd let him continue to improve and develop to put him in the best possible position for when he challenges for a world title.

Maybe you're right, but he can't keep fighting tomato cans either. Sooner or later, he has to take that big step. I mean, SOONER. Even if he gets iced, it will be a valuable lesson.

Maybe you're right, but he can't keep fighting tomato cans either. Sooner or later, he has to take that big step. I mean, SOONER. Even if he gets iced, it will be a valuable lesson.

Exactly.

Dubois has excellent skills and obvious power, but he still hasn't fought a single credible opponent

And I still say he's a bit too stiff to ever become an elite boxer, though he HAS loosened up a little in the last few years. I think he's sort of a tall version of David Tua. - And he's going to need Tua's chin if he hopes to survive against top-ten opposition.

'

The standard of the heavyweight division is utterly shite don't forget.

He needs to up the calibre of opposition if people are to stay interested. Warren is historically guilty of feeding his unbeaten prospects utter shite while they rack up the wins to 25-0 or 30-0 records, then they get beat at the next step up.

I don't think people have that kind of patience these days for the slow build up, especially when there's all the hype and he has been featured on TV from after just a few victories, whereas in yesteryear prospects would often go 12-15 fights unbeaten on untelevised undercards before they got their push to the limelight.

He needs to up the calibre of opposition if people are to stay interested. Warren is historically guilty of feeding his unbeaten prospects utter shite while they rack up the wins to 25-0 or 30-0 records, then they get beat at the next step up.

Joe Joyce is a step in the right direction. If he comes through that fight id will be interesting to see whos next. I can see Warren giving him a low risk fight like Hughie Fury.

• 2 months later...
When Dubious lands with something big, he's used to fighters crumbling. Joyce has a good chin so he was able to soak it up. Dubious didn't seem to have a plan B and just ate solid jabs all night.

All true.

The Dubious One also isn't used to opponents actually fighting back.

So as you say, no plan B.

He needs a new trainer.

• Like 1

Definitely. I think he steamrollers everyone up to the top 4-5 guys and probably a few of those could go over easy!

That said we haven't seen his chin properly tested yet, or what happens when someone doesn't just roll over. He could come a cropper.

First line aged badly, second line aged well

He needs a new trainer.

IF, and that's a very big IF at this stage he does come back, he needs to ditch the London armed robbers and get his ass over the pond to some trainer that can bring out the best of his talent and develop him further.

Both Frampton and Haye (clearly off his head again on coke on tv), and then later, Tony Bellend all accused him (Daniel) of quitting. Disgracefully irresponsible statements. All 3 of them complete clowns. And does boxing's case for continuing as a pro sport without headguards no good whatsoever to the naysayers who would ban our sport tomorrow at the drop of a hat if they had their way.

Latest Injury News:

Brain injury charity calls criticism of Daniel Dubois 'irresponsible' | Sport | The Guardian

Addendum:

I too have never seen Joyce fight so effectively as he did. I never envisaged Daniel losing to Joyce in a million years. Its the first fight I have ever seen Joyce actually not step over his own front foot, leaving him ripe for a right hook or uppercut. And that lazy flicky jab he normally uses got exchanged for a ramrod, so fairplay to his coaching staff and fairplay to Joyce for listening and executing instructions.

Pity I didn't fancy a bet as Joyce was a massive 4/1 against for most of fight week, only shortening to 3/1 on fight night.....doh.

Dubious needs to lose some bulk and work on his stamina as well as technique. He unloads 7 or 8 punches in 20 seconds and then needs 2 minutes recovery time. Appalling.

I was surprised how horribly exposed he was to be honest. One paced, no tactics beyond landing a big right hand, minimal body work, hardly threw a left hook to the head, no head movement, slipping punches or blocking shots. Once he realised he was being out jabbed he should have tried to get inside and work the body but no he just stayed at the end of Joyce's jab and got busted up. There's a lot to work to do.

Dubious needs to lose some bulk and work on his stamina as well as technique. He unloads 7 or 8 punches in 20 seconds and then needs 2 minutes recovery time. Appalling.

I was surprised how horribly exposed he was to be honest. One paced, no tactics beyond landing a big right hand, minimal body work, hardly threw a left hook to the head, no head movement, slipping punches or blocking shots. Once he realised he was being out jabbed he should have tried to get inside and work the body but no he just stayed at the end of Joyce's jab and got busted up. There's a lot to work to do.

He was not "horribly exposed", he simply was unable to break down Joyce because Joyce is a big mammoth but was the better man thruout. Knock off that nonsense. Joyce got lucky. He was absolutely crap! Dubois just got unlucky. And he is still green. He provided all the action. But he isn't used to having to fight so long or against guys like Joyce.

He was outboxed, beaten up and shown to be one dimensional by an opponent with a fairly limited skill set. How can you possibly say he wasn't exposed? There was literally luck involved. It wasn't just that Joyce was bigger, he came in with a plan to expose Dubois's inexperience, lack of defence and over reliance on power and executed it perfectly. If Joyce was absolute crap what does that make Dubois?

He was outboxed, beaten up and shown to be one dimensional by an opponent with a fairly limited skill set. How can you possibly say he wasn't exposed? There was literally luck involved. It wasn't just that Joyce was bigger, he came in with a plan to expose Dubois's inexperience, lack of defence and over reliance on power and executed it perfectly. If Joyce was absolute crap what does that make Dubois?

Outboxed? No. Beaten up? Just because his eye swelled up? COME ON! What were you watching ffs?! That's a LAUGHABLE statement. Go back and rewatch it, will you. Dubois was beating up Joyce from round 2 to round 7.

--- Joe with more proven credentials an easy pick for me no matter any style criticisms, so he weren't lucky but rather more experienced at this level. No quit in dub until that final jab that well scraped over his busted orbital that caused an odd dance away from Joe that fighters often do before going down. Dub faught the last five rds with only one good eye, so it's was never from want of trying that he lost. Ali tried to quit twice in title fights vs Liston an Frazier and many other examples. Time to move on as both still in the mix for a title.