Does anything ever happen in our sport anymore?

davemurphy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Does anything ever happen in our sport anymore?

Depends how you're judging it and which audience you're catering for, and also your location......

I'd say it's been rather a shit year for your actual boxing fans who is interested in the whole scene.......

For your average British knuckle-dragger who likes watching the boxing with his pals down the Nags Head, it's been a great year purely because of AJ...."Beast that lad"..."a monster"....."will dominate for years" they say in their expert analysis, but answer "Who?" if you ask them about Marco Antonio Barrera....:whistle:

The Yanks will somewhat be less fortunate.....they have Wilder of course but he hasn't done a great deal in 2016....and any other of their top talents are seemingly in stale divisions with no much happening....

New Zealand fight fans might be excited by Parker......

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Didn't feel this warrented a new topic on it's own but this a well laid out article by the usually mongy Ben Dirs, the BBCs boxing man, about the farce of boxing in general but notably the WBA.

His articles can sometimes be a load of Oscar Wilde tripe, but he has put it better than I could have done in this one.

Anthony Joshua, Wladimir Klitschko and the 'fumble in a jumble sale' - BBC Sport

A match between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko may seem as natural as ham and eggs. But boxing dishes, concocted on the hoof by a chaotic confederation of quarrelsome cooks, too often make no sense.

The day after Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn announced the deal with Klitschko was virtually done, he announced the dish had been removed from the oven. And fans were left frothing at the chops and whining like dogs.

When Tyson Fury gave up the WBA and WBO heavyweight titles, citing mental health issues, Joshua-Klitschko seemed inevitable. But 'boxing' and 'inevitable' don't belong in the same dictionary, let alone the same sentence.

Fury won the belts from Klitschko last November, but when the troubled Mancunian pulled out of a scheduled rematch, the Ukrainian was at a loose end and seemingly ready for action. Meanwhile, Joshua had picked up the IBF title which Fury also won from Klitschko but was stripped of for not defending against the mandatory challenger. What could possibly go wrong?

Hearn explained that both camps had submitted requests to the WBA to sanction the fight. He assured us that any potential conflicts between various broadcasters had been sorted. It was reported a match between the unbeaten Joshua - the coming man in the heavyweight division - and the veteran Klitschko - a man some believe to be past it - was worth in the region of £25m.

It then emerged Klitschko was refusing to sign unless the WBA belt was on the line and the Panama-based sanctioning body was stalling. More than a fortnight later, the WBA still hasn't made a decision as to whether to sanction the contest. World Boxing Association? More like What Blessed Anarchy is this?

Last Tuesday it was reported that Klitschko had suffered a minor calf injury and wouldn't have been able to fight Joshua on the suggested date of 10 December anyway. But a day later, Klitschko's manager Bernd Boente said his charge would have been ready but actually the fight needed more time to marinate.

Both camps suggested they should meet next spring instead, although presumably only if the WBA has seen sense by then.

Joshua will now defend his IBF title against American Eric Molina in Manchester on 10 December, because New Zealand's Joseph Parker chose to fight Mexico's Andy Ruiz for the vacant WBO belt instead. Molina was knocked out on his pro debut, again in one round by Chris Arreola in 2012 and again by WBC champion Deontay Wilder (who is currently injured and inactive) last year.

According to Boente, Klitschko is desperate to regain the WBA belt he lost to Fury in Dusseldorf. "Wladimir has always been a very loyal and committed WBA champion," said Boente, "and the WBA has always been a very important belt."

But Boente's explanation is dubious, to say the least. During his two reigns as a world heavyweight champion stretching back to 2000, Klitschko held the WBO title for 121 months; the IBF title for 115 months; and the WBA title for only 40 months. Perhaps more pertinent, the WBA is widely regarded as a shambles.

The WBA believes having one title holder in each weight division is not enough. So if a fighter owns a WBA belt in addition to one or more of the other 'big three' world title belts - WBC, IBF and WBO - he is elevated to 'super' WBA champion. Below that is the WBA's 'world/regular' title, meaning some boxers masquerading as world champions don't even top the WBA rankings.

An example of this is British super-bantamweight Scott Quigg, who 'reigned' as a WBA world champion between 2013 and 2016, despite the inconvenient fact that gifted Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux - the man nobody wanted to fight - was the WBA's 'super' champion for much of that time.

Some boxers even claim to be world champions by virtue of owning a WBA 'interim' belt, which is effectively the EFL Trophy of WBA titles.

There are also WBA 'continental' champions (for those who live on a continent, presumably), 'inter-continental' champions (fought for by David Haye and Dereck Chisora in 2012, despite the fact they are both British), 'international' champions (nope, haven't got a clue either) and 'inter-planetary' champions (I made that last one up, although it may only be a matter of time).

WBA president Gilberto Mendoza has vowed to clean up this mess and return to a situation where it only has one champion in each division.

But nature abhors a vacuum. So while the WBA is silent, rumours swirl that Australia's Lucas Browne will fight 44-year-old American Shannon Briggs for a WBA heavyweight belt. For which WBA belt, nobody seems to know.

Meanwhile, Cuban Luis Ortiz, who recently signed with Hearn, is scheduled to defend his WBA 'interim' title on the Joshua-Molina undercard. By dint of being its 'interim' champion, Ortiz is ranked number one by the WBA. Browne is ranked number five and Briggs number eight. If it's of any consolation, I'm almost losing the will to live having to explain all this.

Some have accused Klitschko of attempting to duck Joshua and bringing shame to himself and the once great heavyweight division. But the real problem here isn't Klitschko - or any other boxer accused of taking a path of less resistance - it is the lawless world of boxing, in which sheriff's badges are handed out like Smarties and anyone with a bit of bling around his waist can claim to be king.

Fury's victory over Klitschko looked like it would bring continuity and clarity to the heavyweight division. But Fury's fall from grace - if you could ever call him gracious in the first place - has created an unseemly, confusing free-for-all.

Forget the Rumble in the Jungle, this - to borrow a quote from a TV executive from another era - is more like a fumble in a jumble sale.

Luis Ortiz gave up the 'interim' probably on the advice of Eddie Hearn - it's a nonsense belt and stops Ortiz forcing other champions to fight him (he won't get ranked by other orgs).

I would be hugely surprised if David Haye fought for the 'interim' WBA while Briggs vs Browne is for the 'regular'. It rubs Haye's face in shit. He has to beat Ustinov for a pretend title? I can't see him going for it - where is the money?

Luis Ortiz gave up the 'interim' probably on the advice of Eddie Hearn - it's a nonsense belt and stops Ortiz forcing other champions to fight him (he won't get ranked by other orgs).

I would be hugely surprised if David Haye fought for the 'interim' WBA while Briggs vs Browne is for the 'regular'. It rubs Haye's face in shit. He has to beat Ustinov for a pretend title? I can't see him going for it - where is the money?

good points, but let's not get ahead of ourselves:

Ustinov is still considering fighting Manual Charr. (I smell PPV gold! )

Old Usty probably looking for an easy path to a title bout, following the blueprint set out by Haye himself. (and also AJ )

Edited by Cableaddict

good points, but let's not get ahead of ourselves:

Ustinov is still considering fighting Manual Charr. (I smell PPV gold! ) Old Usty probably looking for an easy path to a title bout, following the blueprint set out by Haye himself. (also AJ )

Could see him try and make a move at the end of next year. Mind, I doubt anyone gives him a straight shot - he's likely got to work-up the rankings.

Usyk vs. Mchunu Added to Dec. 17 at The Forum

Newly crowned World Boxing Organization Cruiserweight Champion, Oleksandr Usyk, (10-0, 9 KOs) of Kiev, Ukraine will make his highly anticipated United States debut in his first title defense against world ranked contender Thabiso “The Rock” Mchunu, (17-2, 11 KOs) of South Africa on Saturday, December 17 at the “Fabulous” Forum in Inglewood, CA and televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT.

The Usyk-Mchunu 12-round clash is presented by K2 Promotions in association with Main Events and will open the HBO telecast headlined by the light heavyweight clash between Two-Division World Champion and Future Hall-of-Famer Bernard Hopkins, (55-7-2, 32 KOs) and hard-hitting contender Joe Smith Jr., (21-1 18 KOs) and a 10-round co-main event between Joseph Diaz Jr. and Horacio Garcia who will clash for the NABF Featherweight Title.

“This is a great opportunity, I’m very excited to fight for the first time in the United States and on HBO,” said Usyk. “After winning the world title in September, fighting in America was the next goal and I promise the fans in Los Angeles and those watching on HBO a great performance,” said Usyk, known for his world class performances, heavy hands and his memorable victory dances.

“Against good opposition, I ‘The Rock’ always rise to the occasion, “said Mchunu. “I’m eagerly focused on the throne!”

Read more: Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

--- Hmmm, Usyk vs Mchunu as the supporting undercard in a highly touted promotion, who knew 10 years ago that American boxing would've fallen so pathetically low they have to import decent fighters from abroad?

And that it's a more credible fight than the stinker Popkins has planned for the main event? That said, Mchunu is a dangerous underdog and though looking a bit amateurish against glowacki, Usyk looks like he could set some cruiser records and move up to heavy and win a title. Thank good es he ditched that moronic top knot to grow a normal set of hair. I figure right now he could beat every American heavy, but that would only net him the WBC. At least he adds to the few watchable fighters we have left in boxing.

He was already on for a title bout with Ortiz, then Ortiz pulled out.

Ortiz pulled out because Ustinov refused to allow VADA testing. He's a walking Russian lab experiment.

Of course, the WBA decided to penalize ORTIZ for this. :noidea:

--- Hmmm, Usyk vs Mchunu as the supporting undercard in a highly touted promotion, who knew 10 years ago that American boxing would've fallen so pathetically low they have to import decent fighters from abroad?

And that it's a more credible fight than the stinker Popkins has planned for the main event? That said, Mchunu is a dangerous underdog and though looking a bit amateurish against glowacki, Usyk looks like he could set some cruiser records and move up to heavy and win a title. Thank good es he ditched that moronic top knot to grow a normal set of hair. I figure right now he could beat every American heavy, but that would only net him the WBC. At least he adds to the few watchable fighters we have left in boxing.

Usyk-Mchunu is one of the best fights of the year. (that's not saying much, I know) Sadly, few casuals will even have a clue what's going on. (will the commentators?)

Usyk is fast becoming a God, possibly one of the best fighters to ever lace 'em up, (time will tell) but Mchunu easily matches him in skills & athleticism. Mchunu has flaws, but he has ASTOUNDING technique and speed.

Sadly, Mchunu seems to be prone to gassing early, hence the KO loss to Makabu, even though Mchunu had won virtually eery round until that last one.

Usyk, on the other hand, is a machine, and he has more power than Mchunu as well. I see no other possibility than Usyk slowly wearing Mchunu down, winning via KO in the late rounds of a high-paced, highly skilled, and extremely entertaining bout.

- Which sucks, because I'm a huge fan of both guys. This is going to seriously damage Mchunu's career.

Edited by Cableaddict

So maybe not much happens but at least from nothing happening it's given me a good thread to tell people I just found a fighter on a card tomorrow night called 'Joshuanthony Ortiz' lol I thought it was a joke when I first saw it but I boxrec'd him and he's a real person..

Real Person called Joshuanthony Ortiz

Is that only funny to me?