General Boxing (worth mentioning, not thread worthy)

The_budweiser

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan Garcia won't fight on Saturday's undercard after his opponent gets arrested

Touted boxing prospect Ryan Garcia (18-0, 15 KOs) from Victorville stepped on the scales Friday afternoon ahead of his clash against Avery Sparrow on Saturday night in Carson, but his opponent was nowhere to be found.

I just want to know where [sparrow] is at. He talked a lot, and I don't see him here, Garcia said shortly after he successfully made the 135-pound weight limit. I just wanted this fight. Somebody call him. Somebody ring him up. Let's fight. Let's get it on.

Sparrow was not in the building and nowhere ready to fight because he was arrested Friday afternoon by U.S. Marshals hours before their Mexican Independence Day weekend clash at Dignity Health Sports Park.

Sparrow, from Philadelphia, had a warrant out for his arrest stemming from an April domestic dispute in which he allegedly brandished a firearm after a woman threw his clothes out of a window.

Sparrow was not aware that he was in legal trouble until he landed in Los Angeles on Tuesday for his fight. According to Sparrow's Philadelphia-based promoter Russel Peltz, a warrant was never served to Sparrow back home because he was not listed living under any address.

Source/Full story: LA Times

Katie Taylor vs Christina Linardatou headline a show in Manchester on Nov 2nd. Linardatou will defend her WBO 140lb strap but her manager Brian Cohen during today's press conference (perhaps having seen Chisora snap a couple of weeks back) voiced his dissatisfaction at the fact that Hearn wouldn't allow the champion a rematch clause in the contract but then successfully insisted on one for the challenger. Hearn didn't deny this but instead tried to suggest that if Team Linardatou are confident in themselves then it shouldn't make a difference. Cohen then retored "Don't be cute with me I'm not the one" as if ready to step outside and settle the issue lol.

If anyone sees a YT interview with Cohen PLEASE let me know :haha:

Boxing is a horrible business sometimes, what kind of nonsense is this where the challenger is bullying the champion like this. Making her come to your country, drop the rematch clause, name second on the poster, take the smaller share of the money and give you a rematch clause if you lose, it doesn't sit right with me, especially as Taylor should be fighting Persoon, she shouldn't be fighting anyone else until that unfinished business is taken care of.

• 4 months later...
Just had the opportunity to watch the fight between Clay Collard and Raymond Guajardo and it was far more entertaining than I expected it to be. Guajardo's ring profile said that he dropped out of high school to pursue boxing, but I'm pretty sure Collard just took him back to school.

• 4 months later...
There are some rumblings of a possible clash between Ryan Garcia and Luke Campbell. I'm not really sure how I feel about this one if it happens. I feel like Garcia has the power, but Campbell has the skill to potentially make that power irrelevant. Campbell was able to hang in there with Lomachenko, so it might stand to reason that he could hang in there with Garcia. This is all if Garcia's handlers even let him take the fight.

There are some rumblings of a possible clash between Ryan Garcia and Luke Campbell. I'm not really sure how I feel about this one if it happens. I feel like Garcia has the power, but Campbell has the skill to potentially make that power irrelevant. Campbell was able to hang in there with Lomachenko, so it might stand to reason that he could hang in there with Garcia. This is all if Garcia's handlers even let him take the fight.

It would be a major step up for Garcia. Campbell hasn't fought since he faced Loma. Garcia's been busy but hasn't had much ring time (not his fault). Garcia's made his decision to wait for COVID restrictions on spectators to be lifted so he can command a greater purse. I don't consider that a diva-esque stance to take. Lots of fighters are facing the same dilemma. But it's unknown how it will take to be able to sell tickets to a show. Time may force Garcia's hand.

Will the fight be in England or California? That may be the key. If Hearn can lure Garcia to the U.K., that may be Garcia's downfall. I think Campbell's experience would carry the day, but I don't like how long he'd be off by the time it happens. I'd side with the man fighting on his home turf. Campbell on points in England or Garcia by stoppage in California.

Calm down both of you, Kingry aint fighting anywhere cept Cali. Route to the top is already well mapped.

Luke, at 32 is on the slippy slope down, and whenever he's come across class, he's lost. He's not worth a wank in a dirty gym sock now. Tell me a good win on his resume? Good Olympics, disappointing Pro. (Maybe Coyle - 2015 for the Intl - I'll give him that one, but its really only UK level).

I'm just saying that I think it could be more competitive than most people think. Nobody, myself included, expected Campbell to go the distance with Lomachenko, but he did. It'd be an interesting test for Garcia to see where he really is.

By the time this fight may happen, Campbell would need another fight first imo. But I wouldn't be surprised if Hearn tried to persuade him to jump right in. Hearn's thrown many of his British fighters to the wolves in the interest of cashing in one final time on the fighter's name and building the overseas Matchroom franchises, particulary America and Italy. Numerous Brits have been put in little-to-no-win situations that only serve Hearn's business interests.

By the time this fight may happen, Campbell would need another fight first imo. .

Why so ledhed ? He's 32 ffs and has been 12 rounds with both Jorge Linares and Loma. He's hardly being thrown in at the deep end with Kingry. (Although he won't beat him).

Sel, Campbell will have been off for far too long by the time a Garcia fight may happen. Especially if the fight is in California or Vegas. Perhaps Campbell can take a fight with no spectators while Garcia waits for a live gate. Give yourself a fighting chance. He's never been off this long as it is.

• 2 months later...

I watched the Hennessey Promotions card and it was pretty enjoyable. It was a rough night for the promoter's stable, but I continue to be impressed by Stephen McKenna. It was rather limited opposition, but he can only work with what he's given.

SPOILERS (in case anyone cares)

My favorite fight of the night was Michael Hennessy Jr vs Jamie Stewart. Hennessy Jr is the son of the promoter and Stewart is a relatively new pro that has turned his life around after a few prison stints. Hennessy fought a relatively lazy fight whereas Stewart seeming pushed the action. The fight was decided by the referee and you could tell Hennessy expected to win. Stewart won. It's a relatively big win for him since he was probably brought in to lose, so I'm happy for him. I've never been impressed by Hennessy Jr, but hopefully he learns something from this and adjusts accordingly. I honestly don't expect him to go far.

Edited by Kite1345
Additional details.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know if you're all watching the Buatsi card, but I thought the scoring for the Hedges-Ardon fight was crazy. How did you all score it?

Ian John Lewis obviously up for a bribe- awful call Hedges has a lot to learn and needs a proper trainer

• Like 1

Ian John Lewis obviously up for a bribe- awful call Hedges has a lot to learn and needs a proper trainer

Ardon definitely made him look very average and Hedges clearly has a lot to learn. Giving him a gift decision doesn't teach him anything. It's probably a good thing that his original opponent fell through; I have a feeling Julio Cesar would have wrecked his shit based on that performance. Also, ref scoring is the worst since it seems to enable crap like this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree Kite - conversely - Ritson-Vazquez was an utter judging bribery scandal disgrace - MeetTheKinahans strike again. Must have been a massive betting scam or just a downright cheating operation to get Ritson back into the frame.

I watched it 2x to make sure I hadn't made a mistake and scored 1 round to Ritson on both occasions.

• Like 1

Agree Kite - conversely - Ritson-Vazquez was an utter judging bribery scandal disgrace - MeetTheKinahans strike again. Must have been a massive betting scam or just a downright cheating operation to get Ritson back into the frame.

I watched it 2x to make sure I hadn't made a mistake and scored 1 round to Ritson on both occasions.

Yeah, I really don't know how anyone could have up come up with those scorecards without some kind of bribe. The Leach-Ashfaq fight made me happy. Very competitive with the right outcome.

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed this, but apparently Mark Schliebs vs Brock Jarvis is scheduled for November 25th. Should be one hell of a fight since both are unbeaten Australian prospects with heavy hands. Schliebs had apparently been pressing for this fight for months, so it should be interesting to see what happens now that he's gotten what he asked for.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...