Do you agree with Tony Bellew? Is UK the home of world boxing?

The_budweiser

Re: Do you agree with Tony Bellew? Is UK the home of world boxing?

I think what he means is, "When they put on a huge stadium show featering Anthony Joshua, it feels like the home of boxing."

There's no denying they are pretty special and huge events. But the "home" of global boxing will probably always be stateside. Vegas, or MSG maybe? I don't really know.

As for the article I hope to god Bellew doesn't become a promoter. I think he enjoys being infront of the cameras too much in the pundit role anyway. Not that I like that either, he talks a lot of bollocks mixed in with the odd bit of sense.

Fortunately for the general public Bellend is in a fantastic financial situation due to the two Haye ppvs; and does not even need the Usyk fight, he has more money than he could ever need as of now. This means he wont be getting involved with training or promoting as both are extremely hard work. I agree with Ton in the respect he likes the sound of his own scouse voice too much and loves the cameras on a big stadium night and I also see this as his true vocation. Also, fortunately for the general public Sly Sports have now virtually priced themselves out of the game with regards to UK boxing fans, which has become a niche sport now, along with ever increasing subs and ppv's for 3rd Class fights, so Bellend's tv punditry days are now limited and also finite.

Lets not get carried away here lads, this is the bloke that lost to Cleverly in their first fight. And a look at his resume shows only one fight against class opposition - Superman - in his entire career, another loss. And pulleeze dont come on and try to tell me Chilemba is class.

Back to the original question: no its not. AJ has a temporary lever he can keep pulling for a couple of years to create the illusion it is; in one weight division, twice a year.

Edit:

Boxing has now become a niche sport. More so in the UK than the US. There is no boxing on UK afaik now on mainstream tv channels whatsoever, side from the occasional ITV show which is PPV. (Twice a year free-to-air Welsh channel S4C broadcast a small-hall boxing show). You have to pay for all your UK boxing viewing now. You can purchase subs to Sly Sports, BT Sports and Boxnation to view boxing, but they are sports channels. And BN has all but disappeared now especially with the move now to 100% SD with no HD, not even for Live events. 'Freesports' (another sports channel, though) show maybe 4 small-hall shows a year).

--- I'd say the current home of boxing is international now, and even more so if the Chinese and South Asians can tap into their perhaps one billion prime age populace, but why do I think impending wars and environmental disasters may throw a monkey Wrench into the lives of all the international community?

How Tony Bellend earns his nickname...

What Tony Bellew says about drug cheats:

"If anyone fails a drug test for performance enhancing drugs ban them for life. I have no time for drug cheats, this isn't a 100 metre race, this is two guys fighting for their lives. If one guy's got an unfair advantage that he knows about before the fight begins then that's premeditated - I shouldn't be saying murder in boxing but it does happen. People die in boxing rings. Listen, I'll be totally honest, if someone fails a drug test for steroids after fighting me, I'm going in the dressing room with a bat and I'm going to even up the score. Because I've got three kids in the house, I'm not taking an unfair advantage to beat you and you shouldn't be allowed to take unfair advantages to beat me."

What Tony Bellew does in the presence of a convicted drug cheat: