Manny Pacquiao vs Ray Leonard?

oneill39

I'd go Leonard 100 times out of 100. Pacquiao has arguably been most dominant at welterweight as was Leonard. But, Leonard was a very fast boxer himself, fought many elite boxers who all had fearsome power and was very skillful. I see him beating Pacquiao by a wide UD or late stoppage.

Hmm, lets see.

Leonard 5' 10. Reach 73"

Pakow 5' 6. Reach 67"

Pakow, not a pressure fighter in the mode of Duran.

Leonard more than a match for Pakow, in power, speed, ring generalship, footwork, defence, combination punching, accuracy. Plus he is too big and too strong for the Fillipino.

Yep, a tough one to call. lol//

And before anyone gets out of their pram with anti Pakow accusations, the same goes for Leonard / Mayweather.

Mayweather is a notorious slow starter, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Leonard nails him early like Mosley did.

The difference being Mayweather is not strong enough to claim Leonard and hold on as he did with Shane. Leonard forces him to the ropes, and opens up with a 20 - 30 punch combination, with Mayweather not throwing back, and the ref stops it.

it's crazy, Manny is one of the best pound for pound fighters of the past decade but nobody, including me, would give him a chance in a fight with Leonard.

I don't know whether that shows that the current crop is poor compared to those of old, or whether it just shows how good Leonard and the four kings were!

Leonard is simply far too good technically for a come forward, pressure fighter like Pacquiao, not to mention the speed and reflexes he possessed

I wouldn't go with a stoppage or knockout, but Ray would box his ears off and win a massive UD, i'd even go with a shut out

it's crazy, Manny is one of the best pound for pound fighters of the past decade but nobody, including me, would give him a chance in a fight with Leonard.

----- Nah, it ain't crazy that everyone loses the family farms and barns given their poor prognostication skills in picking winners when money is on the line.

It's the limitation of boxing acumen of the usual suspects unable to separate legacy from reality, like the reality that Leonard took enough punishment by age 25 after only 33 fights to have to retire. Sure, he sputters back for some rather disingenuously organized big money fights against aging rivals where he didn't look like the touted hotshot but rather spoilt prima donna.

Manny has already surpassed Leonard's legacy by a good margin in longevity and belts won. He's also fought and beaten more Ring P4Pers by a substantial margin than anyone in history, though to be fair, official Ring P4P rankings came just after one of Leonard's many retirements.

Duran jumped 2 divisions at age 28-29, just like Manny, and beat up a host of good welts before beating up Leonard. The difference being there ain't no Leonard for Manny to beat up, and unlike Duran, Manny either beats the tarballs out of fighters, or beats em into permanent retirement.

Leonard's at a distinct disadvantage against a waterbug quick southpaw with the HOF Roach grooming him in finer boxing nuance and fight strategy, one of the best cornermen ever.

Now, I would hardly make the rather goofus mistake of the rest of you gents in dismissing the chances of Leonard who was in a couple of great epic spectacles as both loser and later as winner. At his best he was a game and good as near anyone and could possibly pull it out, but I keep my family farm and welcome your bedraggled lot to shelter in my barn until you chaps can recover your form..... bravo//

Heheheh I do love a good fairytale.

Lets forget the pathetic beating up of rickshaw drivers and rice pickers at feeble weights, and start at 130 and upwards.

He's beaten well past their best Mexicans in EM, and MAB, had two goes at JMM, and couldn't win decisively, and then we get to Diaz, plus all these other Catchweights, skeletons, and frankly the kind of fighters that Leonard would have given careful consideration as to their use as mere sparring partners, in preparation for his more important fights. glol/

Leonard for me. Manny may be one of the fastest I've ever seen on his feet, but Leonard was also exceptionally fast.

Let's put it this way; Leonard had the versatility to outslug, outlast and knock out Tommy Hearns. As much as styles make fights I couldn't see Manny getting inside enough to wear Hearns out and would expect Hearns to pick Pacquiao off on the outside before finishing him late.

I'd expect a very good fight if Leonard and Pacquiao were to meet, don't get me wrong. Maybe even a FOTY candidate. However, I don't see what Manny does better in terms of ringcraft, and more importantly, Leonard was a master counterpuncher who would naturally have Manny coming towards him. Pacquiao would be "in" the rounds and likely be fairly competitive, but Leonard would win most of them.

Clear Leonard points win for me, or if he decided to step on it, a late stoppage wouldn't be out of the question.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
the same goes for Leonard / Mayweather.

Mayweather is a notorious slow starter, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Leonard nails him early like Mosley did.

The difference being Mayweather is not strong enough to claim Leonard and hold on as he did with Shane. Leonard forces him to the ropes, and opens up with a 20 - 30 punch combination, with Mayweather not throwing back, and the ref stops it.

you are a sensible old man.

the same goes for Leonard / Mayweather.

you are a sensible old man.[/quote]

You got that part right. lol//

Lets please try and get one thing straight Edsel, despite what nuthugging Pakow fanboys, and other garbage on here would like people to believe, I have never had any time for Mayweather the so called man.

I just happen to live in a realistic world that tells me he is by far and away the greatest exponent of the art of boxing for definitely the last 30 years, and possibly the last 100 years. Up there with the great Ray Robinson.

Unlike others I dont let my contempt for the scum that is called Floyd Mayweather cloud my judgement of the " fighter " that is called by the same name, which is why I find myself being forced to defend his ring reputation when knobheads come up with such things as futile lists of rubbish that THEY say he should have fought, when they haven't got even the beginning of a clue how these garbage fighters are ever going to beat him.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...