Who are some of the top 10 Defensive Boxers of all time

Boxen

I'm trying to study some of the best of the best when it comes to defense in the game of boxing. Who do you guys classifie as top 10 boxers :whistle:to have a "rubber waistline" slip punches & dominate fights with good defense? Can you guys name a few? I kno one of my all time favorites to see is Mike Tyson & his"peekaboo" style. :ranger:

Re: Who are some of the top 10 Defensive Boxers of all time

Wilfred Benitez was illiterate and apparently unintelligent. He was also known for being lazy, as far as training was concerned, however, he was gifted with what some called, human radar. His defensive abilities were extraordinary. If you watch his fight with Hearns, there is a replay in which the very fast Hearns throws loads of punches, and he misses them all. He tried so hard to land, that he even threw a backhand....but even that missed. No wonder he is the youngest ever to win a world title. Only 17 when he beat a great champion over 15rds can you believe!

--- I agree with Pep and Graham because they also possessed significant offensive abilities, the whole purpose of establishing a good defense. Pep was especially prolific on offensive.

Guys like Benitez and Laing were offensively lazy. When Pea was motivated he could produce fine offensive performances, but too often he preferred clowning around with little offensive effort. Prime Ali was also inconsistent, but if the opponent was a threat he could move around pretty well for a few rounds throwing sharp jabs and such that often cut up fighters. Sadly too many modern fighters do little more than run. Wlad may have clinched too much after Steward's death, but he was about as untouchable as any fighter in history for his 9 year run with an 80% KO ratio that included several spectacular ones. Vitali got hit a bit more, be he was damn hard to hit cleanly, very underrated defense.

With Tyson, you could say in his full sway, his offense was so overwhelming that he almost never got hit with a clean shot. He had some of the best timing in boxing with a dozen punch combinations for any situation. Kinda became a punching bag as his skills and training habits eroded.

--- I agree with Pep and Graham because they also possessed significant offensive abilities, the whole purpose of establishing a good defense. Pep was especially prolific on offensive.

Guys like Benitez and Laing were offensively lazy. When Pea was motivated he could produce fine offensive performances, but too often he preferred clowning around with little offensive effort. Prime Ali was also inconsistent, but if the opponent was a threat he could move around pretty well for a few rounds throwing sharp jabs and such that often cut up fighters. Sadly too many modern fighters do little more than run. Wlad may have clinched too much after Steward's death, but he was about as untouchable as any fighter in history for his 9 year run with an 80% KO ratio that included several spectacular ones. Vitali got hit a bit more, be he was damn hard to hit cleanly, very underrated defense.

With Tyson, you could say in his full sway, his offense was so overwhelming that he almost never got hit with a clean shot. He had some of the best timing in boxing with a dozen punch combinations for any situation. Kinda became a punching bag as his skills and training habits eroded.

Wow what a surprise LRR's yet again disagrees with my pick, but his argument makes no sense(as usual) because CLEARLY the question posed, was

[h=2]Who are some of the top 10 Defensive Boxers of all time, MAKING IT TOTALLY IRRELEVANT, IF SOMEONE ON THE LIST WAS OFFENSIVELY LAZY.[/h]He likes Pep as a defensive fighter, yet his defence was to move around the ring to avoid punches. Great defence or a runner? It is written that he won a round once without throwing a punch, which could also be seen as lazy offence, but no one has any footage to clarify this rumour. His inclusion of Vitali Klitschko requires some head scratching, seeing as his defence was just that you could not reach the big bugger, plus his face after the Lewis fight shows just how hard he was to hit, surely vindicating Lrr's choice.

Nicolino Locche - Scott(iamasadlittleboy) introduced me to his career a few years back and he was very much the predecessor of Whitaker and co. Must have been a nightmare to fight him.

That video kind of reminds me of Calzaghe. Although Calzaghe hit the canvas a few times he ducked and weaved many a shot, similar to the video.

Johnny Nelson. Seen him, "live" prob 10 times and never threw more than 6 punches total...................:mlol:

Joking aside, TBE is the best defensive boxer of current era. Gotta be Herol included somewhere too of past boxers.