Billy Dib vs Mikey Garcia in the works

Australian IBF#4 ranked featherweight Billy “The Kid” Dib (31-1, 19KO’s) confirmed to Fightnews today that he is in negotiations to take on IBF#1 ranked Mikey Garcia for the vacant IBF 126 pound title in July in the USA or Australia.

He stated, “We are close to agreeing the finer details such as date, location and venue but we are both on the same piece of paper in that we are committed to fight each other for the IBF featherweight title in our next fight. Both our next fights will be see us in the opposite corner and this is a chance for me to prove I am one of the best featherweights in world boxing. Its been a new Billy Dib since my loss to Luevano for the WBO title and I am unbeaten in my last ten fights under the guidance of Billy Hussein. This fight could take place in the US but we are trying everything to bring the fight to Australia. We have had some great champions in Australia in recent years and there is now an opportunity for me to take up the mantle left by such greats as Jeff Fenech, Kostya Tszyu, Michael Katsidis, Danny Green and Anthony Mundine. It is now a chance for me to push Australian boxing to the next level – we are trying very hard financially to bring Garcia to Australia for the IBF title.”

The IBF title at 126 pounds was declared vacant recently when Yuriorkis Gamboa was stripped of the title when he failed to make a mandatory re-weigh in for his recent fight with Jorge Solis on March 26th in Atlantic City.