McCloskey - Out of his depth?

WelshDevilRob

Amir Khan has questioned whether Paul McCloskey is truly ready for his shot at the big time.

The Northern Irishman has been thrust into the spotlight after agreeing to challenge Khan for his WBA light-welterweight title on 16 April, live on Sky Box Office.

McCloskey has done little wrong during his professional career as he boasts an unbeaten 22-fight record, and has acquired British and European titles in recent years.

But the 31-year-old is yet to pit himself against a proven world class operator and Khan feels his two-year reign as champion will give him a big edge in experience on fight night.

"This is world class level now, Paul McCloskey is the European champion, he is European level and he is moving up to world class level," the Bolton fighter told skysports.com

"I think it is a big step up for him. European level is a little bit different than world level. I think he is going to find it quite different. We are up there at the elite level in world boxing, and I have to say it takes a lot of guts thinking he can be part of this level.

"Only a few fighters in the world are up there. He thinks he can be at that level, so let's see how he does."

Reports have suggested that Khan has already agreed to face Timothy Bradley in a summer unification fight, but the Brit has rubbished claims that he is looking past his current challenger.

"A lot of people are saying I'm overlooking McCloskey, but I know I've got a big task in front me. I want to beat him and beat him in good style," he added.

"Not once have I said that I'm looking ahead to Bradley. My whole focus is on McCloskey and I'm not taking this fight easy. I'm training like a challenger, working really hard in the gym.

"This fight for me is even bigger because it's in Manchester and it's in front of my home crowd. I've not fought at home for a long time and it's a big opportunity to show how good I am."

Khan, like fellow British champion David Haye, has set a date for his retirement and hopes to be recognised as the number one in the sport when he hangs up his gloves at the age of 28.

"Four years is a good target for me for what I want to achieve," Khan said. "I want to become the pound for pound champion of the world, which I really think I can be.

"I also think I could move up a weight and become a world champion at 147lb, and maybe move up one more after that."

Source: Sky

While I wil be behind McCloskey 100% in this fight, i honestly dont think he has what it takes to beat Khan.

There is no doubt he has a very awkward style which has helped him thus far in his career, but i think it will be his downfall in this fight. His usual attaack sees him hold at least one of his hands by his waist and throw with the other. That may have worked against some of the domestic fighters, but i think Khan's speed and brilliant accuracy will allow Khan to beat him to every punch should McCloskey try this. McCloskey is also in the bad habbit of leaning forward and putting his head way out...again, i dont think thats a mistake you can afford tto make with a world class operator like Khan.

Then there is the question of McCloskey's power and Khan's chin. I think Khan has a good chin, so McCloskey will need to load up to try and stop him. McCloskey has improved his power latley, so there is a chance that could happen.

Yes, McCloskey is the underdog here, but I'll be behind him, and i really hope he pulls off a big upset. And another thing...Breddis Prescott was the underdog too...