Who is Scotland's next boxing star?

The_budweiser

Many have predicted Iain Butcher (11-1 only lose to Kevin Satchell which many think he won) to become the next star after Ricky Burns. Last night Butcher now 11-2 suffered his second loss of his career to Csaba Kovacs (5-4).

Scottish boxing is in a bit of a rut just now with no big name. I think it may be a good few years before we ever see a big boxing show in Scotland unless Burns can get his confidence back or the likes of Simmons can win a British title.

Charlie Flynn did well at the Commonwealth Games but being a pro is totally different and who knows if he can achieve success as a pro in future years.

Limond is 35 and at the end of his career, he did well to beat Woodhouse to become British Champion yet his next fight is in Manchester vs Chris Jenkins.

Who is Scotland's next boxing star?

Re: Who is Scotland's next boxing star?

I don't think we'll see one for a long time.

Boxing's "next generation" depends on the previous generation. Whilst Hatton, Calzaghe, Harrison, Burns and Haye got plenty of exposure they spent a lot of time hidden away on pay TV. Boxing's superstars of tomorrow have got to have watched the boxing of today and pay TV is a limitation to that.

Both the UK and the US are going to see that issue in the coming years when the numbers of top prospects across the weights and the nation are few and far between. We need a free-to-air hero and until one of the terrestrial channels helps create that we'll struggle to have boxing stars, except for those who "capture the imagination" at the Olympics...though we've seen them fail recently as well

The lack of show's in Scotland of quality is becoming more and more evident,must be very disheartening for the fighters coming through.

The need for fighters to shift tickets to get on the few shows also.Not easy for fighters or promoters because one doesn't exist without the other.

Free-to- air TV brings exposure for upcoming fighters anywhere and a fighter can build a fan base,totally agree with that last comment.

With the demise of Ricky Burns, it's going to be hard to develop a new star infront of big crowds. I'm sure they will look to get Ricky in another big fight/World title contest but whether that is in Scotland is hard to tell.

I don't know a great deal about the small hall show scene there but hopefully, there are one or two that can develop into British champions and more. Wales is going through a transitional period but there are plenty of youngsters to bring hope, so there is hope for small boxing countries.

• 1 year later...

Burns wasn't that popular before he got a world title fight against Martinez - yet he filled out an arena. We don't usually get big fights so when we do regardless of the fighters name, boxing fans will turn up.

Mike Towell has a British title shot.

Charlie Flynn did well at the Commonwealth games. Getting fed rubbish in his pro career.

Iain Butcher's career stalled a little. Hopefully he can continue to

progress.

Edit: why are tapatalk showing old threads as new threads in the timeline. I thought you just replied Rob.

Burns wasn't that popular before he got a world title fight against Martinez - yet he filled out an arena. We don't usually get big fights so when we do regardless of the fighters name, boxing fans will turn up.

Mike Towell has a British title shot.

Charlie Flynn did well at the Commonwealth games. Getting fed rubbish in his pro career.

Iain Butcher's career stalled a little. Hopefully he can continue to

progress.

Edit: why are tapatalk showing old threads as new threads in the timeline. I thought you just replied Rob.

Butcher just beat Essomba last night which is a good win, he failed to make flyweight though.

Josh Taylor can be call as Scotland's next boxing star

Few days back I watched video of Josh Taylor on the undercard of Frampton/Quigg and I was really impressed with this young lad.

He might be only 4-0 as a pro but some what his amateur pedigree seems to be very good, he won gold medal at the Commonwealth games held in Scotland on 2014.

Could be that its still his early days and I might be getting over-excited for this Scottish boxer, but I certainly believe that this kid is somewhat special, Just keep an eye on him, over next year or so he will clean up domestically and in next 2 years he would be pushing for world titles.

Josh Taylor can be call as Scotland's next boxing star

Few days back I watched video of Josh Taylor on the undercard of Frampton/Quigg and I was really impressed with this young lad.

He might be only 4-0 as a pro but some what his amateur pedigree seems to be very good, he won gold medal at the Commonwealth games held in Scotland on 2014.

Could be that its still his early days and I might be getting over-excited for this Scottish boxer, but I certainly believe that this kid is somewhat special, Just keep an eye on him, over next year or so he will clean up domestically and in next 2 years he would be pushing for world titles.

I forgot about Josh Taylor - He looked very good. Hopefully there is others coming through that we have not heard of yet.

Hopefully Gary Cornish still has something to offer.

I forgot about Josh Taylor - He looked very good. Hopefully there is others coming through that we have not heard of yet.

Hopefully Gary Cornish still has something to offer.

Even I believe Gary Cornish has lot to offer, he still is a potential boxer, who can anytime fight his way back to the top of stardom.

• 1 month later...