Holyfield v Williams (spoilers)

iamasadlittleboy

Barrett was out fought by journeyman Davis before managing to scrape a draw

Long was down 3 times against Johnson, all of which looked like he just fell and only 2 were counted as knock downs, as Kingpin took a clear decision

Holyfield quit complaining about blood dripping into his eye, originally it looked like Williams would get the TKO win but it was ruled a no contest from a clash of heads

all in all...not worth staying up for.

Re: Holyfield v Williams (spoilers)

Long was down 3 times against Johnson, all of which looked like he just fell and only 2 were counted as knock downs, as Kingpin took a clear decision

Holyfield quit complaining about blood dripping into his eye, originally it looked like Williams would get the TKO win but it was ruled a no contest from a clash of heads

Wow

Barrett retire or rematch Tua

Holyfield is completly shot now, Sherman Williams is no better than a domestic fighter. Holyfield should retire now for sure.

KIngpin can go back to bingo halls and get a really high ranking for beating bums.

Re: Holyfield v Williams (spoilers)

Scott-

You wouldn't have had to stay up half as long if it hadn't been for the constant breaks for musical entertainment, which was just plain NUTS!!!

Barrett looked pretty lousy against Davis, and while I thought Monte probably did deserve the nod (IMO, Davis faded late and MB won the second half of the fight and just edged it), I don't see much case for arguing that his career should continue.

Kingpin Johnson looked decent, but Julius Long's a .500 fighter and been stopped by others, so it has to be put in that perspective.......basically all he did was keep himself a question mark, and avoid taking a giant leap into oblivion.

Holyfield disappointed me in that a guy who's always been a Warrior just took the easy way out. Although he's been picking up losses while on this "quest" of his, he's always put forth his best possible effort............his corner pointing out that it was the end of the third round from the moment he got back to it and him embracing the idea to call it a night because Williams was proving a tough task, it wasn't a pleasing site. Btw, where did they get that Doctor? Has he ever been a Ringside Physician before? He's either corrupt or incompetent, how many times have we seen cuts FAR WORSE and not had the fight stopped?

Holyfield should count himself lucky because Williams was getting on top of him in that third round.

Holy looked good in the first 2 rounds, but his reflexes seemed to neglect him when he was caught with over hand rights that he would have seen in his prime. He was even wobbled near the end of the third!

Didn't Holy say "I can't do this!" at the end of the third, in his corner?

It's easy for him to say that he'll be world champion, but when he feels the punches then it's a different story.

Holyfield-Williams Post Fight Quotes

Evander Holyfield: “I’m very disappointed. He fought the way he should have. He understood he would have his head low when he threw the overhand right. If I didn’t move back, we’d clash heads. It was to his advantage to get lower because he’s short. Being that short he had to fight that fight. He didn’t have to, he chose to.”

“Stuff like this happens and I’ll shake it off. Hopefully, I’ll get this stitched up and it won’t be a problem. Life goes on, it’s part of boxing.”

Sherman Williams: “I’ve had my own personal setbacks. To get over what I did was a miracle. I trained hard for this fight. I was fighting a legend and I can’t take anything away from him. I feel like I should have won by TKO. I cut him with an overhand right, but I respect him.”

“I root for him. He’s almost 50 and still training and performing. I admire what he’s done but it’s time to let younger guys fight and older guys do television commentary. He’s not as good looking as I am. You’ve made sacrifices, won 4 world championships and fought in the Olympics. But this is a new time, a new era. Mr. Holyfield shouldn’t be taking punches from younger guys. That’s how I feel. It’s time for him to move on but, if he wants, we can do it again.”

“After the first round he was falling into my trap. When he felt I was in retreat…bang with the overhand right, and that’s when I saw blood.”

http://fightnews.com/Boxing/holyfield_cut.jpg

Sherman Williams:

“I root for him. He’s almost 50 and still training and performing. I admire what he’s done but it’s time to let younger guys fight and older guys do television commentary. He’s not as good looking as I am. You’ve made sacrifices, won 4 world championships and fought in the Olympics. But this is a new time, a new era. Mr. Holyfield shouldn’t be taking punches from younger guys.

I agree.