Haye tells Tarver "Chagaev first"

Brick Top

By Chris LaBate

As we recently reported on BoxingScene.com, former light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver (28-6, 19KOs), who is now a heavyweight contender, has called out WBA champion David Haye (25-1, 23KOs). Tarver sent a personal message to Haye, making a direct challenge for an April fight.

"David Haye, it's Antonio Tarver. I hear you got some free time on your hands since you and Wladimir Klitschko had to push back. How about you and I get a date around April you can call it your U.S. debut. It's the biggest fight you can make [with a name] that don't end in Klitschko," wrote Tarver.

Haye issued a response and told Tarver that a WBA mandatory obligation was the first order of business. Ruslan Chagaev is the mandatory challenger to Haye. The fight does have its own share of problems with Chagaev's Hepatitis B status. A recent report on BoxingScene revealed that the British Board of Control is likely going to reject Chagaev's application to box in the UK.

Haye replied - "thanks for offer. I have a mandatory to knock out [in] May-June before I'm free for any unification/voluntary. Keep doing your thing!"

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34691

Yeah, I'd much sooner see Haye in there against a Povetkin or an Adamek (although it looks like the latter is in line to face Big Wlad).

To be honest with you, even guys like Arreola or Peter are more worthy than a 40 year old blown up Light-Heavyweight who has seen better days.

I'm surprised more Heavyweights aren't vocally calling out Haye as he seems the weakest link out of the champions. At least Haye doesn't sound very enthusiastic about fighting Tarver.

That means nothing in his world.

HE openly came out and called Audley Harrison a joke who didn't deserve to share the same ring as him, yet look what happened....

Saying "let me get Chagaev out of the way first and then we'll talk" is about as close to an invitation as you can get.

I'm surprised more Heavyweights aren't vocally calling out Haye as he seems the weakest link out of the champions. At least Haye doesn't sound very enthusiastic about fighting Tarver.

That means nothing in his world.

HE openly came out and called Audley Harrison a joke who didn't deserve to share the same ring as him, yet look what happened....

Saying "let me get Chagaev out of the way first and then we'll talk" is about as close to an invitation as you can get.

Ah, I didn't see that line "let me get Chagaev out of the way first and then we'll talk" in the topic.

Haye has talked about wanting to fight in the US. I suppose it depends on who the biggest name there is. Arreola?

Ah, I didn't see that line "let me get Chagaev out of the way first and then we'll talk" in the topic.

Haye has talked about wanting to fight in the US. I suppose it depends on who the biggest name there is. Arreola?

He is the biggest name, wouldnt mind seeing that fight (Klitschko not happening anytime soon.)

I think it will be Povetkin next as he's a Sauerland fighter. Boytsov has hand problems at the moment.

I think that's wishful thinking on your part Rob.

Povetkin is high risk, low reward, and Haye won't go near him.

Mind, Povetkin broke his hand in his recent win. Who is No.4?

It would be a good fight, and I agree it makes sense, but while Povetkin's career has stalled of late, Haye is driven by the "Sky Mantra" now which is low risk high reward.

The very opposite of what Povetkin is, because it would be a hard sell on PPV, and he poses enough risk to jeopardise his ultimate aim which is to retire on a Klitschko fight.