Bryant Jennings/Artur Szpilka Fight Spoiler:

LondonRingRules

Fight isn't up yet to view, but seen the highlights of what was reported as a very competitive fight until the last few rounds.

Jennings took a solid left hook before knocking Szpilka into the ropes where he then landed what could well be the most understated punch of the entire year, a perfect left hook to the breadbasket that made Szpilka do a sick face as he dropped to take a count. Man, that hurt me just watching! Good final stoppage with Szpilka trapped slumping in a corner that the ref got in on time, thankfully no complaints there.

In short, Bryant Jennings becomes the best heavyweight in the US by fighting a good, game fellow prospect/fringe contender and doing the business in style. Tony Thompson would be a stiff test, but doubt that fight is in the cards as too much money to be lost if Jennings can't handle him. I'm guessing Wlad would jump at this lucrative heavily promoted HBO fight, so we shall see where the sordid politics of the fight biz shakes out, I thinking Wlad/Jennings come fall would be near perfect.

Re: Bryant Jennings/Artur Szpilka Fight Spoiler:

Watched it live and it wasn't the most entertaining fight. Alot of movement without the punches landed, but it was a case of two fighters trying to figure out the other without making mistakes.

That shot that dropped Szpilka was a good'en and he wasn't expecting it. Jennings did well and a good finish over a decent fellow contender.

The undercard which was streamed free by Tom Rank was fantastic - non-stop crushing KO's and Col. Bob commentating.

The undercard which was streamed free by Tom Rank was fantastic - non-stop crushing KO's and Col. Bob commentating.

--- Uggg, having your ears assaulted by the colonel gives a sick face just like a gut shot.

Szpilka one of those rare fighters who is quite expressive when hit:

http://cdn2-www.ringtv.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/gallery/mikey-garcia-vs-juan-carlos-burgos/bryant-jennings-vs-artur-szpilka-01-photo-by-naoki-fukuda.jpg

Watched it live and it wasn't the most entertaining fight. Alot of movement without the punches landed, but it was a case of two fighters trying to figure out the other without making mistakes.....

I dissagree. I fought it incredibly exciting. Much more OFFENSIVE movement, and much more skill from both men, than I expected. - And still not boring like some Rigo fights. (which I still enjoy, FWIW)

I am finally a fan of Jennings. I expected him to dance away from Szpilka, for an easy UD, but instead he took the fight right to him.

I'm also now a fan of Szpilka. I knew he had some skills, but always found him sloppy / careless. He looked VERY good last night. Sadly, he doesn't quite have the arm speed to get through Jennings' excellent defense. That was the key to the fight.

.....In short, Bryant Jennings becomes the best heavyweight in the US by fighting a good, game fellow prospect/fringe contender and doing the business in style. Tony Thompson would be a stiff test, but doubt that fight is in the cards as too much money to be lost if Jennings can't handle him. I'm guessing Wlad would jump at this lucrative heavily promoted HBO fight, so we shall see where the sordid politics of the fight biz shakes out, I thinking Wlad/Jennings come fall would be near perfect.

Agreed.

Jennings is fast enough & elusive enough to avoid Wlad's offense, and he can attack from mid-range, thus keeping Wlad from just grabbing and leaning all night, ala his disgusting "performance" against Povetkin. (for which Wlad should be stripped of his belts.)

It would be a fascinating fight, to put it mildly.

You'll have to let me off, Cable. It was 4 in the morning and maybe my senses had dulled. For me it was compelling rather than exciting. As for Rigo, I find his fights amazing rather than exciting ;)

I dissagree. I fought it incredibly exciting. Much more OFFENSIVE movement, and much more skill from both men, than I expected. - And still not boring like some Rigo fights. (which I still enjoy, FWIW)

I am finally a fan of Jennings. I expected him to dance away from Szpilka, for an easy UD, but instead he took the fight right to him.

I'm also now a fan of Szpilka. I knew he had some skills, but always found him sloppy / careless. He looked VERY good last night. Sadly, he doesn't quite have the arm speed to get through Jennings' excellent defense. That was the key to the fight.

Heavyweight Bryant Jennings Victorious in HBO Debut

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/97dac9e1d6eb85617ee529e37990f32f_S.jpg

Last night Gary Shaw Productions and Antonio Leonard Promotions Bryant "By-By" Jennings (18-0, 10 KOs) remained undefeated in his HBO debut with a 10-round TKO victory over Poland's Artur Szpilka (16-1, 12 KOs).

More...

Re: Heavyweight Bryant Jennings Victorious in HBO Debut

[quote=ringnews24;186056

Last night Gary Shaw Productions and Antonio Leonard Promotions Bryant "By-By" Jennings (18-0, 10 KOs) remained undefeated in his HBO debut with a 10-round TKO victory over Poland's Artur Szpilka (16-1, 12 KOs).

More...

--- Nice to see that Arum fully accept the support of rival Shaw for this MSG card. Happens a lot that way with independent promoters, but the GBP rivalry and bad blood with TR has poisoned most reasonable dialogue.

Watched it live and it wasn't the most entertaining fight. Alot of movement without the punches landed, but it was a case of two fighters trying to figure out the other without making mistakes.

--- Watched the entirety today and yeah, a lot of defensive movement without much landing, yet somehow the punch monkeys had Jenning landing over 40% of his punches!

98% of them were partially blocked or slipped as were Szpilka's but they both took a few good shots before the final 10th round. Interesting the contrast for Szpilka in that he beat Mollo who put him in a much harder fight than did Jennings. Jennings in spite of the suits wanting to rush him into a title fight is still a work in progress as is Szpilka. I was impressed with Jenning's blistering combos to few times he got cranked up, but nonplussed over their effectiveness.

Certainly that last big exchange between the two which ended with Sz slumped on the ropes can't be taught and shows the potential of Jennings. If they really plan on putting him against Wlad, need to take on one of those tall Euros in Germany during the spring. If they want to go the WBC route, that tourney ain't settled for a while what with the death of Jefe for life, but Jennings might well have earned a place, so we shall see. Think immediately Arreola and Stiverne were supposed to fight for the title, but that may well sink in the quicksand as the WBC honchos struggle for who assumes the power.

BTW, Chisora against Kevin Johnson in a bout he might well lose. Might kill the Fury rematch that one since Fury is almost guaranteed to win against this Basile chap. Heavyweight scene looks poised to explode this year me thinks....

Neither look anywhere close to fighting for a world title. The rankings that Jennings has are ridiculous and, as with Wilder, show the frankly over-stated need for a top American Heavyweight.

I see potential in Jennings, no argument there, but there is nothing that makes me think he'll be ready for a Klitschko, Stiverne, Fury, Chisora or Pulev in the next 12-18 months.

As for Szpilka, the flaws with this kid are always gonna be there. He's weak chinned, offensively wide, defensively open and mentally not all there. He'll be a lot more entertaining to follow than Jennings but will never be ready for a world title challenge.

Neither look anywhere close to fighting for a world title. The rankings that Jennings has are ridiculous and, as with Wilder, show the frankly over-stated need for a top American Heavyweight.

I see potential in Jennings, no argument there, but there is nothing that makes me think he'll be ready for a Klitschko, Stiverne, Fury, Chisora or Pulev in the next 12-18 months.

As for Szpilka, the flaws with this kid are always gonna be there. He's weak chinned, offensively wide, defensively open and mentally not all there. He'll be a lot more entertaining to follow than Jennings but will never be ready for a world title challenge.

--- We'll just have to disagree on your eyesight.

Starting with your invalid comparison of Jennings to Wilder, they couldn't be further apart. Jennings just beat an infinitely tougher fighter than Wilder has ever faced in spite of Wilder being a pro 2 yrs longer with a big time promoter behind him. And please do forget Dumboy, the guy will fold the first time he has to think outside the little box Warren has him operating out of.

Nobody has beat Wlad for a while, but both Jennings and Szpilka have as much going for them as many who challenged Wald. You musta missed Szpilka stellar defense during the bout, he was near impossible to hit as was Jennings, two boxers trying their best to fight. Had Sz made it the last 40 sec he would have been lauded more than he was for giving such a game performance. Those were finally some brilliant shots that put him down and he was on his feet when the stoppage came. The scoring was typical hometown scoring, 88-82, I would've have Jennings up only two points at the end of the tenth, but I'd like to see if Jennings could beat him in a rematch staged in Warsaw, that's his current biggest flaw that he's a homeboy.

I can't vouch for the out of ring problems Jennings and Szpilka may fall into that might squelch their futures, but they are currently better than any prospects currently operating save maybe Ruiz.

--- We'll just have to disagree on your eyesight.

Starting with your invalid comparison of Jennings to Wilder, they couldn't be further apart. Jennings just beat an infinitely tougher fighter than Wilder has ever faced in spite of Wilder being a pro 2 yrs longer with a big time promoter behind him. And please do forget Dumboy, the guy will fold the first time he has to think outside the little box Warren has him operating out of.

My comparison is that both are over-ranked. The recent WBC rankings have Wilder #3, Jennings #4, both highly inflated. Jennings has more upside, no argument there but but neither belongs in the top #5.

Both were "near impossible to hit" due to the fact the other didn't have the experience to over come the other, though didn't Jennings land 42% of his shots or something? Hardly a defensive masterclass, it's not like you were watching Floydy in there avoiding shots...

though didn't Jennings land 42% of his shots or something?

--- I've seen Floydy bounce his noggin off the canvas to avoid shots, hardly sublime masterclass stuff.

These heavies put on a top class defensive show that had them heaving in their corners trying to suck up enough air for the next round, something not seen in the division for a while. And no, Jennings didn't land 42% of his shots, the punch monkey tooth fairy did. And Jennings did something Floydy can't do, and that's legit KTFO a fighter without Joe Cortez protecting him and some rehearsed choreography.

My disappointment with Jennings was that at no time did he try to use his considerable reach advantage. Szpilka was the one wanting to box at range, not Jennings. Sz hit him with a few solid shots and he didn't blink, so that is likely the biggest thing he has going for him no matter his talent.

The HBO guys were flat out annoying in their rush to praise Jennings in what I thought was a good, but certainly not great, performance. I know that the Punchstats supposedly had Jennings landing at a high percentage, but to be honest I have to question those figures, I didn't see the pinpoint accuracy that they indicated. I'm going to stop short of saying that there's an out-and-out conspiracy to anoint the "Next Great American Heavyweight" but I think Bryant Jennings is getting a bit of an extra boost from some quarters.