The supposed 'Cold War' in boxing

RINGNEWS24

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/c64f4664160405f01e244b59502454f6_S.jpg

It's really hard for me to write about something I feel passionately about, without sloping off into some kind of tirade. * Well, I will try my damnedest. The 'Cold War' that has riddled the sport amongst the upper-echelon of the promoters world, has for year upon year upon year, deprived the true fans of the sweet science of the big fights. Why?

More...

Re: The supposed 'Cold War' in boxing

It's really hard for me to write about something I feel passionately about, without sloping off into some kind of tirade. *............ In the USA we have the likes of Golden Boy (Oscar De La Hoya/Richard Schaefer), Top Rank (Bob Arum) and Mayweather Promotions (Leonard Ellerbe). These aforementioned promoters are at the top, of the pile© Ringnews24 Copyright Notice

http://ringnews24.com/index.php/component/k2/item/26-ringnews24-copyright-notice

More...

--- Hmmm, Mayweather Promotions ain't anywhere close to the top of the heap. They weren't even a registered promoter until late last year. Their "stable" consists of DKing warmovers like Cornelias Bundrage and Ishe Smith, or busted drug tests like Mickey Bey, 30x normal testa levels, or J'Love, aptly named for a modeling profession where diuretics are OK, not for top contender promotions as Top Rank, GBP, and many others like Goosen, Duva, ect. Floydy is just hitching a ride on GB like a sucker fish hitched to a great white shark looking for leftovers.

The TR/GBP coldwar greatly overblown because of failed Manny/Money fight 3x now, but Manny fought GB Oscar and Ricky for bigger money than Floydy who started his own pityparty coldwar by refusing to fight those GB rematches on HBO. Then he shamelessly returns a year later for peanut slave wages against GB JMMarquez on HBO. Arum lured JMMarquez away from GB for the 3rd/4th Manny fights and then lured GB co-owner Mosley. GB lured newly TR independent Cotto for a Floydy bout that paid him half of the Manny rematch because Cotto thought he could beat Floydy. Meanwhile GB Ponce deLeon also fought TR Gamboa, so there's been cross over.

The feud is properly Mayweather vs Arum. Arum was always pushing Floydy to make big fights and he don't like being pushed. Through the Hayman influence, he nominally has a bigger say, like only fighting once a year though he was read the riot act to make the Mosley and Canelo fights because he wanted lesser fighters that would have made one third the totals those fights made for Hayman and GB and now Showtime has some push.

Here are Floydy's latest quoted terms to make the Manny fight after killing the fight by a couple of retirements with a meltdown leading to 6 months incarceration. Fight won't ever happen under these terms, not even close, but here tis:

"The only way he's getting the fight with me is if he signs with Mayweather Promotions," Mayweather told Yahoo's Kevin Iole back in July['13]. "He's got to give me fights with Mayweather Promotions. If he don't give me no fights under Mayweather Promotions, then he's not getting the fight. That's how it is working now, because the ball is in my court."

I don't think I agree with the UFC model. Sure it makes fights happen, at a point and for a couple of years everything is great but boxing tends to build on the mystery and hype of a fight - if all fighters were with one promoter then in the end that would fade and the appeal might go.

There are ridiculous situations like Lennox vs Bowe and Pacquiao vs Mayweather - where greed stops major fights but on the whole things get done. Boxing just takes a little bit longer, to get those clashes, and it builds up the fans anticipation. UFC is probably suffering now cos they made all their fights and have very little left.

In an Oscar De La Hoya interview I posted on Ringnews24 - he seemed to be geared and in favour of GBP being the only promoter. Does anyone really think that would be good for boxing. Also, does anyone think that is a realistic dream?

I don't think I agree with the UFC model. Sure it makes fights happen, at a point and for a couple of years everything is great but boxing tends to build on the mystery and hype of a fight - if all fighters were with one promoter then in the end that would fade and the appeal might go.

There are ridiculous situations like Lennox vs Bowe and Pacquiao vs Mayweather - where greed stops major fights but on the whole things get done. Boxing just takes a little bit longer, to get those clashes, and it builds up the fans anticipation. UFC is probably suffering now cos they made all their fights and have very little left.

In an Oscar De La Hoya interview I posted on Ringnews24 - he seemed to be geared and in favour of GBP being the only promoter. Does anyone really think that would be good for boxing. Also, does anyone think that is a realistic dream?

No, it's not realistic and that it works in UFC is like comparing apples and oranges. I used to say that eventually some competitor would rise up to challenge Dana White, but he's done a good job of fighting off any potential competition and running what still amounts to almost a monopoly, but like Scott says, the UFC is struggling to come up with PPV stars, Rouse has emerged, but we've seen GSP and now Anderson Silva fall from grace and not really been replaced (let's face it, Scott Weidman isn't going to be a big boxoffice star). After years of growth, it seems as though UFC popularity is in a holding pattern.

GBP thinking they will one day be the only promoter is similar to the WBC thinking that they will one day be the only championship body. More than a hundred years of the sports history suggests that it can't be done, no matter how much Richard Schaeffer would like to think it can.

--- Everything points to shaky business at GBP these days. Shaefer is listed as promoter of a Jan 2014 card, not GB, but regardless, we can't discount the fight eventually being made after Pac's TR contract runs out this year.

It will be the much smaller scale fight Floydy always wanted even if it still busts some records and he will finally get the lion's share. He showed he was willing to give up his 90% claims of his previous purses to go down to 70% to make the Canelo fight and might be willing to go 60/40 with Manny, but it ain't just purses, it's also PPVs.

All the above assumes both keep winning. Moreover, cagey Arum has additionally managed to line up both Bradley and JMMarquez to fight Floydy if he needs extra ego massage of a smaller fight where he claims 80% of the purse. What say our Brits here to UK PPV numbers if he fights Khan? Is he on the same lovable loser scale as Oddly whom Brits seemed to have turned out in droves for his WBA challenge? Those are the numbers Showtime and Hayman are pondering as the Floydy kickoff for 2014.