Tavoris Cloud Aims to Impress, But Will Anyone Be Watching?

WelshDevilRob

Tavoris Cloud Aims to Impress, But Will Anyone Be Watching?

by Sean Morehouse

We’ve all heard the old philosophical riddle about a tree falling in the forest with nobody around to hear it. On Friday night, we might find the answer to a similar question: If Tavoris Cloud defends his title against a no-hoper in an non-televised fight, does anybody care?

On Friday night, Tavoris Cloud will defend his light heavyweight title in Miami. You could be forgiven for needing to be told that Cloud (21-0-0, 18 KO) is no longer just a promising prospect and, in fact, holds a major title. Other than a close win over division stalwart Glenn Johnson on an HBO undercard in August, Cloud’s exposure on television has been somewhat limited.

http://theboxingtribune.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/tavoris_cloud-e1292533827297-300x219.jpg

It is a bit difficult to tell why; the hard-hitting Cloud was entertaining in his previous two victories on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights. In August 2008 he became the first man to stop granite-chinned veteran Julio Cesar Gonzalez, who had gone the distance with Zsolt Erdei and Roy Jones and defeated Dariusz Michalczewski, in a title eliminator. Cloud didn’t fight again for over a year and the long layoff slowed his momentum.

Read more here: http://theboxingtribune.com/2010/12/tavoris-cloud-aims-to-impress-but-will-anyone-be-watching/

I don't really think Zuniga is the "loser" he's being made out to be.

Although he's more suited to 168 lbs, the guy packs a punch, and could very easily spring an upset.

I went for Cloud in the Predictor, as he is the overwhelming favourite, but I think his outstanding win - versus Glen Johnson, could easily be classed as one of the many robberies Johnson has been on the receiving end of, and he still has a lot to prove imo.

I don't think he's so far ahead of Zuniga at this stage, and though Cloud is the more promising fighter, Zuniga could be a tougher test than many people think.