Nathan Cleverly world title shot delayed

Wheelchair

European light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly will have to wait for his shot at a world title. Current WBO champion Juergen Braehmer has been given permission to delay his mandatory defence against the Welshman to face WBA champion Beibut Shumenov.

Welshman Cleverly beat Karo Murat last month in a final eliminator but will instead fight for the WBO Interim title on 11 December in Liverpool. No opponent has yet been named but is likely to be Alejandro Lakatos.

Spaniard Lakatos, 36, who was born in Romania, holds the WBO European title - a regional belt not to be confused with Cleverly's EBU crown - after beating Abdelkahim Derghal over 12 rounds last February in Madrid to take his record to 31 wins, five defeats and two draws.

"In a way it's a little bit disappointing because you want to be announced as the world champion on the night of your fight," Cleverly told BBC Sport Wales.

"After the victory... I'd be the WBO Interim world champion, which is a little bit of an anti-climax, but still I've done my duties winning the fight and hopefully becoming world champion then. There's a situation where there's two world champions at the moment [braehmer and Shumenov], they're going to fight soon so one of them has two titles as such.

"And the winner of my fight now on December 11th goes on to fight the... world champion, hopefully by early 2011 I'll have a couple of world titles on my waist."

However, the scheduled clash between Braehmer and Shumenov could be overtaken if German Braehmer fails in his appeal against a 16-month prison sentence for assault and insulting behaviour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/9092748.stm?

I'd rather see a rematch with Murat than this to be honest.

I demand Shumenov V Campillo 3. The Spaniard was robbed blind.

The worst decision of recent memory that I can recall.Shumenov won like three rounds at most and was getting the shit beaten out of him at times in that fight.