My memories of the greatest sport ever

leerhodes

From a young age listening to my dad telling me stories of how great rocky marciano was,to him explaining how cassius clay missed his best years.

I can remember well the house full at my grandads for the old itv specials when leon spinks beat ali,on to the golden era of hagler,hearns,duran, and leonard.

My journey continued following Herol Graham through his career going to his fights,watching some classic epics with Benn,Eubanks,Watson and Collins.

The rise of an animal called Tyson and watching Naz from a schoolboy to world champion

Watching my favourite fighters in lennox Lewis,Calzaghe,Hatton to the present day with new superstars soon to arrive( Kell Brook i hope).

Memories i will treasure for ever how can anyone disagree this is the greatest sport ever.

My love story with our sport starts a bit before yours Lee my first memory is listen to Robinson v Turpin as a ten year old, boxing was always big in our house my old man even called our dog bruce after Woodcock , next doors dog was dempsey they never met in the ring but our two had some right tear ups in the back garden.

I remember when don cockell went to the states to fight marciano we foolishly thought he had a chance,The silky skills of Joe Erskine The left hook of "our Enry" big Dick richardson, the rivalry between walker & Prescott those were the days when we had heaves that entertained.

John Conteh who could have been our very best if only he had stuck to the fighting & let someone else do the managing

The list of boxers I have followed down the years is endless just a few that got my pulses going Terry Downes,Chris & Kevin Finnagan, Howard Winstone,Alan Rudkin,Tony Sibson, Herol Graham I could go on for hours, coming down through the Lennox Hatton Calzaghe eras to the boys starting the climb still gives me a buzz walking through the doors of somewhere like the York Hall on fight night still lifts the hairs on the back of my neck, I just wish I was 50 years younger starting out watching my heroes

My love story with our sport starts a bit before yours Lee I just wish I was 50 years younger starting out watching my heroes

Snap. By my reckoning Tel you got 6 years on me. I can remember as a 4 year old my old man took me to Windsor to see SRR in the Hart and Garter training for the Turpin fight. We still lived in London then, but like yourself the love affair started then. Listening on the radio, until we got a TV then watching as many as we could. My best one was the night he got me up for Ali / Liston, he goes into the kitchen to make coffee, as he brings it in, I'm on the way back to bed cos of working the next morning.

It could have been worse mate if it had been either of the two Paterson v Liston fights the kettle wouldn't have had chance to boil, as for age 69 next February. I wonder if you know another mate of mine Vic Moore a heavyweight sparred with Chris a few times boxed out of Hammersmith about the same time as Chris & Kevin

It could have been worse mate if it had been either of the two Paterson v Liston fights the kettle wouldn't have had chance to boil, as for age 69 next February. I wonder if you know another mate of mine Vic Moore a heavyweight sparred with Chris a few times boxed out of Hammersmith about the same time as Chris & Kevin

I got to be honest mate, i didn't know vic, i only heard of him.

• 1 month later...