Clev "world title next year"

The_budweiser

Nathan Cleverly is targeting a world title shot at the same time as he graduates.

The young Welshman impressed again over the weekend when he stopped Courtney Fry at York Hall.

It was the first defence of his British light-heavyweight title and the fifth of his Commonwealth crown.

And it should pave the way for a crack at the vacant European belt on December 5 in Newcastle.

But the 22-year-old is already looking ahead to next year, when he reckons he might get a world title chance.

He already enjoys a top 15 ranking with all four world governing bodies, despite combining boxing with his studies as a full time Maths student.

"It would be spot on if I got a world title shot when I graduate from university next May or June," he said. "That would be perfect timing."

I think it will be a year too soon his defence is not tight enough to go in with the top boys against Fry he was getting hit with shots that as a world contender he should have slipped, one more defence of his titles then 2/3 fights at euro level before moving on to the world stage, time is on his side he's only 22 years old.

I would like to see him stick to the plan he had to win the lonsdale outright then the european before world exposure