Daniel Dubois, Kevin Lerena finalising Nov. 26 heavyweight bout

Ledhed1

By Mike Coppinger, ESPN

Daniel Dubois and Kevin Lerena are in the process of finalising a deal for a heavyweight fight slated for Nov. 26 in the U.K., although a separate date in December is also being considered.

Dubois, 25, was lined up to fight 43-year-old Australian journeyman Lucas Browne until the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) refused to sanction it after it deemed Browne too old.

Now, Dubois (18-1, 17 KOs) is set to fight Lerena, a 30-year-old South African.

Dubois was considered boxing's best heavyweight prospect until he suffered a fractured left orbital in a 10th-round TKO loss to heavyweight contender Joe Joyce in a November 2020 step-up fight.

Dubois rebounded with three stoppage victories, most notably a fourth-round knock-out of heavyweight fringe contender Trevor Bryan in June, which is Dubois' best victory to date.

Lerena (28-1, 14 KOs) has won all three fights at heavyweight since he moved up from cruiserweight in 2020. He scored a fourth-round KO of journeyman Bogdan Dinu in March (a fighter Dubois knocked out in Round Two a year earlier) followed by a decision win over Mariusz Wach last month.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

This should be good. I was impressed with Lerena's performance vs. Wach. He was Usyk-esque in the way he handled the size discrepancy. Moved in and out well and landed impactful punches even on a giant like Wach. My early take is Lerena takes this one. He's a sneaky riser flying under the heavyweight radar.

• Like 1

I agree. 

Lerena looks very good,  with excellent movement,  and seems to have blossomed as a HW.

Dubois is of course very talented, and has more power, and has a bit more high-level experience, but he's always been a little stiff.  

Lerena has the exact style to give him trouble,  so a great test for both men and a very important fight for the division.

• Thanks 1

Would like to see Daniel busier. Twice a year is not enough for him. Fully understand and respect the BBBoC decision to block a bout with Lucas Browne, amazed the promoter tried to make that fight - ridiculous. Browne is a big lump with power but at 43, his chin is gone. He's far removed from the magical win over Chagaev.

Lerena is a better opponent and on a lengthy winning run. His movement will give Dubois a test though Dubois is pretty quick with the punches. 'Dynamite' will get another KO under his belt. Quite possibly, the hardest hitting Heavyweight on the Planet.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:33 PM, LondonRingRules said:

--- You like em meaty and buff, Boz.

Could young Daniel whoop Chisora whom Blubber is fighting if he don't retire for the umpteenth time?

Pretty sure he could...only in boxing folks!!!

Hey, whats the point in getting into this if you are gonna stay skinny or shabby? LOL

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lerena at least provides Dubois with a look against a left-handed heavyweight, though he has enjoyed modest success since moving up from cruiserweight. Daniel Dubois will potentially land a southpaw challenger for his next fight while in pursuit of a title consolidation clash with Oleksandr Usyk.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, BoztheMadman said:

Hey, whats the point in getting into this if you are gonna stay skinny or shabby? LOL

- - Notably Flubber didn't seem to want young buff Daniel, instead preferring the soft landing of Chisora whose relatives should be screaming to the rafters to retire. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Frank seems to have gone quiet on Dubois, I was embarrassed for him calling himself a world champ after winning that trash belt and it's going to be interesting how his career develops now, I can't believe they tried to match him with Browne as well, wtf is that all about, smh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave_ said:

can't believe they tried to match him with Browne as well, wtf is that all about, smh

Not as bad as Fury facing Chisora again,   but yeah,  pretty ridiculous.

Lucas Browne is basically  "Del from Downunda'  "    - Only not even as tough or aggressive.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2022 at 5:16 PM, Dave_ said:

Frank seems to have gone quiet on Dubois, I was embarrassed for him calling himself a world champ after winning that trash belt and it's going to be interesting how his career develops now, I can't believe they tried to match him with Browne as well, wtf is that all about, smh

Maybe not. :)

FW1.png

• Thanks 1