Harrison believes in world title glory after Prizefighter

The_budweiser

Audley Harrison has told Sky Sports News he can still become heavyweight champion of the world, and says winning Friday's Prizefighter will be the springboard for his success.

Harrison joins current British champion Danny Williams and six others in Friday's Prizefighter Heavyweights III, live on Sky Sports 2 & HD2 from 9pm.

The 37-year-old has endured a rocky road since turning professional after winning a gold medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Troubles over his decision to promote himself and questionable results against lowly-ranked opponents have not helped, but he believes he can still reach the pinnacle of boxing.

One thing Harrison has not been short of is criticism over the years, with four defeats in his last eight fights bringing scorn of him being more of an 'A-Farce' than an 'A-Force'.

Champion

However, as he appeared on Sky Sports News ahead of Friday's Prizefighter he still has the belief that he can become the world heavyweight champion.

"I've probably lost the chance of having a lasting legacy in terms of unifying the world title and having a long lasting legacy," Harrison said on Sky Sports News.

"But I'm 37 years of age, I didn't start boxing until I was 20, so I've got plenty of time to win a world title."

Harrison faces Scott Belshaw at the ExCel Arena in London on Friday, and is expected to come up against Williams in the Prizefighter final.

Williams was the first person to beat Harrison, but he responded with arguably his best performance to dominate the re-match with a third-round victory.

Focused

"Me and Danny are one and one, " Harrison added. "And Danny keeps saying we don't like each other. Danny should speak for himself, I've got nothing against Danny Williams.

"He beat me in the first fight with a split decision and in the second fight I turned up and I destroyed him. Danny is obviously not happy about that, he spends a lot of time thinking about me and probably dreaming about me."

Harrison is fully confident of beating Williams again if they do clash in the Prizefighter final, but regardless there is no doubt in his mind he will be claiming the title on Friday night.

"Danny needs to be thinking about how much punishment he's taken over his career," he said.

"He's taken a lot of punishment and if we do meet in the final he'll take more punishment because the guy he'll be facing is the Audley Harrison he faced in that second fight. I'm confident that if we do meet in the final I've got his number.

"There are no ifs.

"I've prepared for victory and when I prepare for victory there's only one outcome. I just walk through it, and Friday night I'll be doing exactly that."

He would be perfect for one of those shithouse reality tv shows.

He'd still be first out. He doesnt fool the boxing fraternity so i dont think he would be able to fool joe public either

Watching him get battered usually helps with him not being able to pull the wool though mlol/

• 2 weeks later...