Leigh Wood vs Michael Conlan - Thoughts? *Spoiers*

WelshDevilRob

That was some fight. Conlan was as good as I've seen him; I didn't think he had it in him. Just hope he's OK in the long term; that he didn't land on his head or something. It was concerning they never showed him from the moment he fell from the ring through the end of Wood's interview. By that time I'm sure Conlan had been taken from the arena.

That's two straight KO12's for Wood; three straight KO's overall and six in seven fights. He's had his up and downs but has shown he can rise from adversity and summon finishing power to erase a points deficit. He's got his defensive faults but that contributes to his penchant for dramatic fights. Featherweight has been a neglected division for far too long. Lara, Magsayo, Navarrete, Wood, Santa Cruz. Give us a fight involving any of those guys. It's about time. Russell and the Warrington/Kiko winner wait their turn in the loser's bracket.

FOTY prob doesnt get much better than this.

A shocking performance from Grey, as is the norm nowadays from him.

The amount of grease on Conlan's face was unreal, it was hanging off in globs but Grey never even noticed.

He was out before the final blow knocked him thru the ropes.

I dont know how Wood is allowed to box with his chin in the air by Davison, he will come unstuck for sure if he even thinks about a Navarette or LSC fight.

• Like 1

Boxer Michael Conlan OK after being knocked out of ring

Associated Press

The Irish boxer who gestured at 2016 Rio Olympic judges with his middle fingers after losing a controversial decision was reported to be “conscious and stable” and recovering in a hospital after being knocked out of the ring in a WBA featherweight title fight on Saturday.

Michael Conlan was knocked out in the 12th round by English boxer Leigh Wood, who recovered from an early knockdown to retain his title after an often bruising fight at Nottingham’s Motorpoint Arena.

Topping the bill in his home city, Wood was put on his back by a looping overhand left towards the end of the first round and while he rose on wobbly legs, the 33-year-old Wood was outclassed over the first half of the fight.

In the final round, though, a bruising right hand seemed to buckle Conlan before Wood unloaded with a further flurry to back up his opponent, who tumbled between the ropes and out of the ring.

Conlan was taken by stretcher from the arena. Wood’s promoter Eddie Hearn said on Twitter: “Update on Michael Conlan..conscious and stable, sitting up and talking and await CT scans.”

Later Conlan tweeted that he was OK: “I’m all good folks, cheers for the messages. I’ll be back, good shot and congrats to Leigh and his team.”

- - DAZN, you DAZN boys reading this? DAZN crapped out end of the 11th where I never got to see the KD replay that looked like a slip of the Mick.

Mick fast and flashy in warmups with a junk powerless style in the ring ill suited for the pros. Only against a lesser contender would he have made it as far as he did, ie Wood near KOed in the first round.

Nothing personal, but they've gone about as far as they gonna go, so take the fights, manage finances, and leave the fight game on their own terms.

Got another Brit feather fist, 2 KOs vs a monster puncher this Saturday. Hopefully Verg practices at his boxing to at least get a warmup before the dénouement.

[TABLE=align: center, border: 0, cellpadding: 3, cellspacing: 3]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Sat 19[/TD]

[TD=align: left]Vergil Ortiz Jr[/TD]

[TD]v[/TD]

[TD=align: left]Michael McKinson[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• Like 1

Wow, what a fight!

At the same time, Leigh Wood may have gotten his last name due to what his chin and skull are evidently made of. Future brain damage? No doubt.

The guy has pathetically bad defense.

So,, well,,, I don't really care much about either fighter.

Fun fight, though. :haha:

• Like 1

Michael Conlan demands rematch after being knocked out cold

Irish star Michael Conlan 16-1 (8) has called for a rematch against WBA ‘regular’ featherweight titleholder Leigh Wood 26-2 (16) following his shock 12th round knockout loss at Nottingham Arena in Nottingham, England on Saturday night.

The 30-year-old Conlan looked the better man in the early going, dropping Wood in the opening frame and largely outboxing him until the halfway mark.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/03/16/michael-conlan-demands-rematch-after-being-knocked-out-cold/

• Like 1

Gotta agree with Robbo on this one. As I've stated elsewhere it's not good for the industry to see the same fights over and over. This was a clear win albeit in comeback fashion. A clear KO; a clear KTFO! Move on. As I posted above, give us fights among the top featherweights in the "winners bracket" for once. If Conlan can get back on the winning track, we can talk. Featherweight's a hot division in Britain; there's any number of opponents he could rehab his standing by beating. Any of the recent losers who've been near the top: Xu Can, Kid Galahad, perhaps the Warrington/Kiko loser. Russell may be bit too much to chew. Earn your way back and you'll a legit basis to be calling people out.

• 2 weeks later...