SPOILERS Usyk vs Bellew Discussion + undercard

Ton

Decent fight coming up this weekend but not much on it here so far, thought I'd open up the debate.

Odds makers put Usyk as a clear 1/5 favourite, understandably so I guess. He is the man to beat, and has come through some tough opposition.

Bellew has been the underdog often before, but his stock is high right now and he is tough and gives it his all come fight nights. He is 5/1 with the bookies!

I think Usyk wins this, and provided Bellew hasn't suddenly aged, probably by a clear decision. Have heard people saying Bellew is looking in great shape.

Where do they go afterwards though?

Does Usyk try his hand in the heavyweights given he has conquered the cruisers? He might beat some of the fringe contenders there, but surely too much to compete with AJ and Wilder at the top?

Bellew, well maybe its retirement for him either way? He doesn't have much place else to go in both victory or defeat.

And of course, for those of you who like to score the fights as you watch, please sign up and keep your scorecards at fight-score.com, which requires you to select a reason why each round is scored :thumb:

oleksandr-usyk-avatar.png tony-bellew-avatar.png

Re: Usyk vs Bellew Discussion

Usyk will definitely move up to HW after this. There can't be too many reasons he signed for Fast Eddie. I think he'll be a top 5 heavy but is probably too small and lacking in power to be a true threat. Look what happened to Fury jr the other week. He lost because he couldn't keep Pulev off him despite being a more skilled boxer.

Usyk will definitely move up to HW after this. There can't be too many reasons he signed for Fast Eddie. I think he'll be a top 5 heavy but is probably too small and lacking in power to be a true threat. Look what happened to Fury jr the other week. He lost because he couldn't keep Pulev off him despite being a more skilled boxer.

Where do you think Usyk could aspire to get to in the heavy landscape, from the BoxRec ratings......

1. Joshua

2. Wilder

3. Povetkin

4. Miller

5. Fury

6. Whyte ------> Usyk

7. Pulev

8. Ortiz

9. Kownacki

10. Parker

11. Chisora

12. Jennings

13. Hammer

14. Huck

15. Martin

I'd put him up as competitive with Whyte.....I'd also back him to beat Miller who is too high on that list.

I expect Usyk to outpoint Bellew and get a fairly comfortable victory, I know the Bomber will go for it if he realises that he's on his way to a points defeat but I'm not expecting he'll be able to get Usyk out of there so I can't see anything other than Usyk on the cards.

I sincerely hope Bellew pulls it off but when I think it through I can't see how he wins it if Usyk doesn't lose it. That is to say that Bellew has a chance but only if Usyk makes mistakes or doesn't prepare properly but since his undefeated record and undisputed title is on the line I don't see any chance of that happening on Saturday.

WLorD Bellew is hanging them up, he's said it and I believe him, I heard Superman is calling him out already (though it's conditional on him beating Usyk) and wants to meet him at a catchweight next year but I don't see Bellew going for that (though if he were to and win it'd tidy up his resume like Lennox Lewis' if my memory serves me correctly).

For Usyk if he wins I believe he'll vacate and move up to 201, eventually he'll want AJ and though I want to say he'll get smashed to bits if he gets AJ, after seeing him box the head off Joyce and outclass him I'll have to reserve my judgement for now.

If Usyk takes on Wilder he gets knocked out.

I'd never rule Bellew out, as he's surprised us a few times already, and always rises to the occasion.

He was never much as a LHW, and I think may fans might be judging him on his whole pro career, but if you just look at his CW run, it's pretty solid. - Not a huge list of top opponents, but three very decent guys, and the main point being that Bellew looked REALLY good in those fights.

1 to 5 seems a bit wide, but not unreasonable.

If I were ever to bet actual money on a fight, this would probably be the one. A few bucks on Bellew is far from ridiculous.

Edited by Cableaddict

Yordan vs Crolla should be a good one too.. Yordan is very solid, strong fighter, probably on the level of Burns and Darleys Perez. Crolla should edge it on points with better footwork and punch output - but I still remember first Derry Mathews fight... Yordan is live guy here.

Thanks, I wasn't even aware of this bout.

Well, at least Bellew is humble, and not over-estimating his abilities:

Tony Bellew admits 'I cannot outbox Oleksandr Usyk' - Boxing News

----------------------------

Gotta' love this quote:

"I don’t know what I am going to do, (or) when I am going to do it, but I just know I am going to punch him in the face really hard on Saturday.”

Sounds like a plan ! :haha:

Bellew has always been pretty modest when it comes to his boxing ability. He knows he isn't naturally gifted, and he has had to work hard at his craft to compete and it's done him good to a point. He still spouts his nonsense about always finding his way to win no matter what, almost as in he thinks he is some kind of higher power or some shit. I don't know.

"I don’t know what I am going to do, (or) when I am going to do it, but I just know I am going to punch him in the face really hard on Saturday.”

Boxing by numbers...similar to painting by numbers as a child?

He certainly wont outwork, outpunch, outjab, outscore Usyk so he has a (good) punchers chance at a stoppage. If it goes 12, it will be 120-108. Coldwell must be aware of this; so the gameplan has to be a stoppage.

I think it will go to points most likely. There is a slight chance Usyk can stop Bellew, if he should land a lot on him and consistently, but Usyk is not really a concussive puncher and Bellew has been in many hard fights and is hardened. He did get stopped by Stevenson, but he hits harder than Usyk. As for Bellew, he's got little chance. I don't see him being able to stop Usyk, simply because he's such a beast and never has been hurt yet. He can win some rounds, but that's all.

Bought IPTV for a year for £60, so 4 PPV's and it pays for itself with lots of extras.

I don't think Bellew will last the 12 rounds, can see Bellew gone between rounds 6-8.

I'm really disappointed in the undercard, its very weak for PPV.

Hoping Burns can get a win tonight, defeat probably leads to retirement or losing fights against upcoming prospects.

That's a horrible injury. Ref should of let doctor look at him, what was he doing? he had no intention of stopping the fight.

Was that Macklin that just said: "A good decision from Gallagher to throw in the towel," it wasn't. it was shocking it took him so long to do.

David Allen comes through a slugfest against plucky Argentinian. Both men throwing and landing, both men hurt, both men gassed to fuck after 2/3 rounds.

Eventually the traveller is pulled out due to a nasty cut on the nose, and David Allen is all apologetic stating how badly conditioned he is.

Wanna add a spoiler tag to the thread, Bud?

Argentine gave him a fight, nice to see he didn't turn u just for a pay day.

If either fighter had a bit more fitness they could have won the fight and made it look easy.

Both looked like the had a little bit of power to stop the other guy but not the stamina to keep the punches going.

Nothing i've see from Allen yet in his career suggests he will go pastBritish level. He doesn't look like he takes boxing serious which is common for a lot of the current heavyweight crop.

David Allen comes through a slugfest against plucky Argentinian. Both men throwing and landing, both men hurt, both men gassed to fuck after 2/3 rounds.

Eventually the traveller is pulled out due to a nasty cut on the nose, and David Allen is all apologetic stating how badly conditioned he is.

Wanna add a spoiler tag to the thread, Bud?

Good idea :thumb: Hate using this notebook to use the forum and type, but got the tv and shes got the pc. why is this itallic grrrrr :lol:

Re: SPOILERS Usyk vs Bellew Discussion + undercard

Unlike the previous Argentine, Kelly's opponent offered little back and he looked dominate before the ref jumped in to stop the fight.

I do think the stoppage was premature as he wasn't hurt but it was only heading one way as Castillo didn't look interested.

Shocking undercard on paper and so far its lived up to its disappointment.