British Boxing Board tells heavyweight Danny Williams to walk away

chaconfan

Williams has already been advised to retire by the Board, which will not licence him.

Williams, the former British and Commonwealth champion, has already fought once with a Latvian licence under the name “DPW”, against German Frank Roth in Bielefeld last month.

Williams told no one about the Roth fight, which he won by knockout in the second round.

The ‘Brixton Bomber’ is due to fight again with his Latvian pass next week in Germany against Hungarian journeyman Laszlo Toth.

Robert Smith, general secretary of the British Boxing Board, said on Thursday: “Danny wouldn’t be granted a licence by the British Board. He retired and when he wanted to come back he was advised that he should retire. The next thing I heard, he was boxing as a Latvian in Germany. He could not box in the UK under a licence from Latvia.

“The quality of opposition he is facing is quite poor, but it still concerns me. Danny has been a wonderful servant to boxing. I do have grave reservations about what he is doing. He should walk away before he gets hurt.”

Williams, who has never set foot in Latvia said: “I’ve been fighting since the age of eight and I love the sport too much to walk away.

I also found this from May 2010, which just shows how hard it must be for him to quit.

Danny Williams will quit boxing to work as a bodyguard for celebrities after his British heavyweight title fight with Derek Chisora at Upton Park on May 15.

British champion Williams, 36, was disappointed he would not face Norwich's Sam Sexton, who pulled out last month.

Williams, previously a world title challenger, said he had been thinking of retiring since being stopped by WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in 2004, five months after he had KO'd former king Mike Tyson.

Edited by chaconfan

Re: British Boxing Board tells heavyweight Danny Williams to walk away

“The quality of opposition he is facing is quite poor, but it still concerns me. Danny has been a wonderful servant to boxing. I do have grave reservations about what he is doing. He should walk away before he gets hurt.”

They weren't bothered when Robin Deakin lost what was it 50 fights in a row? They only withdrew his licence when they felt pressure after big newspapers turned Deakin's loss streak into a story.

I kind of agree with the BBBofC here but they play with rules and make decisions to suit them when needed.

But it's not as if Williams has took a few years out and want's to come back. He is training and been fighting regularly over the years and passing medicals, so who are they to say he can't get a licence?

They weren't bothered when Robin Deakin lost what was it 50 fights in a row? They only withdrew his licence when they felt pressure after big newspapers turned Deakin's loss streak into a story.

I kind of agree with the BBBofC here but they play with rules and make decisions to suit them when needed.

But it's not as if Williams has took a few years out and want's to come back. He is training and been fighting regularly over the years and passing medicals, so who are they to say he can't get a licence?

My man Bud on the ball again. You know what Bud, if they take peoples licenses, from willing and able fighters, it is no wonder we would then move on to a thread you started. Unlicensed participation.

if they take peoples licenses, from willing and able fighters, it is no wonder we would then move on to a thread you started. Unlicensed participation.

I do think he should walk away though. He has had a decent career and is 42-years-old and there is no point taking unnecessary punishment. That being said I haven't seen any of his recent fights to make judgement.

Maybe like so many other boxers, he has blew his money and is desperate to carry on or is just finding it hard to walk away from the sport like many others after many years of dedication.

I do think he should walk away though. He has had a decent career and is 42-years-old and there is no point taking unnecessary punishment. That being said I haven't seen any of his recent fights to make judgement.

Maybe like so many other boxers, he has blew his money and is desperate to carry on or is just finding it hard to walk away from the sport like many others after many years of dedication.

He said he has boxed since age 8 and loves it too much to walk away, pal.

They'll appreciate you better, when you are capable of doing magics, when your match-ups can motivate people to buy tickets. I mean those incentive bouts. But specifically speaking if you are getting old and your body isn't that fit enough anymore, you should retire, heroes die in battle but that is in war not in sporting game.

Edited by Sammy

Williams has already been advised to retire by the Board, which will not licence him, and from every indication,that's the best decision that could favor him and his career.

Its like Bud said the BBBofC are playing God again - when it suits. There's no need to take the man's licence away. All they have to do is refuse to sanction fights of a certain level to put the brakes on him. There's no reason he cant still compete as a journeyman for up and coming fighters to gain some good experience against at a lower level.