Conor Benn to turn pro on Joshua vs Martin card

WelshDevilRob

Conor Benn, 19, will make his pro debut on the Joshua-Martin undercard on April 9th at the O2 Arena.

He will compete at super-middleweight. No trainer announced yet.

http://e0.365dm.com/16/02/16-9/20/conor-benn-boxing-weight_3411177.jpg?20160205154410

Conor Benn has the potential to become a world champion, according to his legendary father and erstwhile sparring partner Nigel Benn.

'The Dark Destroyer' (42-5-1-KO35) was a world champion at both middleweight and super-middleweight and believes the teenager's decision to turn professional after just 22 amateur fights is the start of something special.

Looking back on a pair of sparring sessions with the youngster, Benn Sr told Sky Sports: "He's going to be quality. I'm not just saying that because he's my son. I sparred with him and I've got it on tape.

"He must have been 15. I said: 'Come on son, let's go in the garage and I'll film your jab.' He said he wanted to add the right hand in. I went 'bang' and hit him straight away, busted up his nose and chipped his tooth. He'd just had an argument with his girlfriend and came in with the wrong attitude.

"Now, down the road, he went: 'Let's have a spar Dad.' His Mum went: 'No. Dad will hurt you.' The day before he was leaving, we went down the gym and we looked at each other and said: 'Yeah. It's that time isn't it?' I wanted to rip his head off. I'm not playing around. I don't care you're my son - if you get hurt that's your business. You wanted a spar.

"It was an unbelievable four rounds. I've got it on tape and when he becomes world champion, I'll show it. I threw the kitchen sink at him. I threw the lot. Do you know what he did? He threw it back at me! He threw it back and straightened my legs. The cheek! How can you do that to your Dad?!

"He's just quality. He's a light-skinned version of me. He can fight but he can box. I was throwing a punch and it was like The Matrix, he looked at it going past his head and was like: 'Dad, that's so slow.' He just drilled me and it was just so funny. I loved him for that and I started crying afterwards.

"He can have it. He can fight. I'm 20kg heavier than him and he stood his ground with me. He made me look old. I wanted to knock his lights out but he said: 'You ain't doing that to me no more, mate.' We laughed, hugged. I cried, he laughed... Ha!

"I don't want to use the word 'violent' but he likes having a good tear-up. If I met him in the ring [when I was at my peak], I don't know who'd win. He just doesn't like losing. I gave him some good punches and he gave it all back. He likes to have a war. He likes to have a fight.

"I can only fight one way but what's different about him is that he can box and he can box well. He can have it and he can bang. I've got respect for boxers like Kell Brook and Amir Khan but I would tell him to go fight them two years down the road. I'm not joking.

"He fought the No 1 in Australia after only 20 fights. There's so much more in him. He's going to be quality and when he's world champion, he said he'll buy me a Bugatti. I said alright, but make sure you buy me the petrol as well."

Benn Jr, who recently moved to his father's old hometown of Ilford, Essex, is yet to confirm his new trainer ahead of his professional debut. He will compete at super-lightweight.

http://e1.365dm.com/16/02/16-9/20/conor-benn-nigel-benn-boxing_3411079.jpg?20160205133410

Source: SkySports

Re: Conor Benn to turn pro on Joshua vs Martin card

Just like Eubank his Twitter is doing well compared to fighters who have been around for years (thanks dad) - @ConorNigel

Hopefully a really good atmosphere and a great arena to make his debut. He should learn a lot from the experience.

I hope Sky show his fight as he isn't listed as one of the six fights.

conor benn, 19, will make his pro debut on the joshua-martin undercard on april 9th at the o2 arena.

He will compete at super-middleweight. No trainer announced yet.

http://e0.365dm.com/16/02/16-9/20/conor-benn-boxing-weight_3411177.jpg?20160205154410

conor benn has the potential to become a world champion, according to his legendary father and erstwhile sparring partner nigel benn.

'the dark destroyer' (42-5-1-ko35) was a world champion at both middleweight and super-middleweight and believes the teenager's decision to turn professional after just 22 amateur fights is the start of something special.

Looking back on a pair of sparring sessions with the youngster, benn sr told sky sports: "he's going to be quality. I'm not just saying that because he's my son. I sparred with him and i've got it on tape.

"he must have been 15. I said: 'come on son, let's go in the garage and i'll film your jab.' he said he wanted to add the right hand in. I went 'bang' and hit him straight away, busted up his nose and chipped his tooth. He'd just had an argument with his girlfriend and came in with the wrong attitude.

"now, down the road, he went: 'let's have a spar dad.' his mum went: 'no. Dad will hurt you.' the day before he was leaving, we went down the gym and we looked at each other and said: 'yeah. It's that time isn't it?' i wanted to rip his head off. I'm not playing around. I don't care you're my son - if you get hurt that's your business. You wanted a spar.

"it was an unbelievable four rounds. I've got it on tape and when he becomes world champion, i'll show it. I threw the kitchen sink at him. I threw the lot. Do you know what he did? He threw it back at me! He threw it back and straightened my legs. The cheek! How can you do that to your dad?!

"he's just quality. He's a light-skinned version of me. He can fight but he can box. I was throwing a punch and it was like the matrix, he looked at it going past his head and was like: 'dad, that's so slow.' he just drilled me and it was just so funny. I loved him for that and i started crying afterwards.

"he can have it. He can fight. I'm 20kg heavier than him and he stood his ground with me. He made me look old. I wanted to knock his lights out but he said: 'you ain't doing that to me no more, mate.' we laughed, hugged. I cried, he laughed... Ha!

"i don't want to use the word 'violent' but he likes having a good tear-up. If i met him in the ring [when i was at my peak], i don't know who'd win. He just doesn't like losing. I gave him some good punches and he gave it all back. He likes to have a war. He likes to have a fight.

"i can only fight one way but what's different about him is that he can box and he can box well. He can have it and he can bang. I've got respect for boxers like kell brook and amir khan but i would tell him to go fight them two years down the road. I'm not joking.

"he fought the no 1 in australia after only 20 fights. There's so much more in him. He's going to be quality and when he's world champion, he said he'll buy me a bugatti. I said alright, but make sure you buy me the petrol as well."

benn jr, who recently moved to his father's old hometown of ilford, essex, is yet to confirm his new trainer ahead of his professional debut. He will compete at super-lightweight.

http://e1.365dm.com/16/02/16-9/20/conor-benn-nigel-benn-boxing_3411079.jpg?20160205133410

source: Skysports

wow very interesting! One thing though, it says at the beginning that he will compete at super middle, but at the end it says super lightweight.

Edited by chaconfan

Just like Eubank his Twitter is doing well compared to fighters who have been around for years (thanks dad) - @ConorNigel

Hopefully a really good atmosphere and a great arena to make his debut. He should learn a lot from the experience.

I hope Sky show his fight as he isn't listed as one of the six fights.

His twitter has this text - Former WBO & WBC champion son - in the middle of his profile description. He keeps tweeting his dad's cherry picked moments (pictures and videos) on the ring, every now and then. For sure he wants to bask in the glory of his father.

Seen him train a few times and he seems a right chip off the old block as they say.Lovely style be interesting to see how he develops.Hopefully he has the power in his fist his father had.