[spoilers] Round by Round - Jean Pascal vs Sergey Kovalev + undercards

The_budweiser

Re: [spoilers] Round by Round - Jean Pascal vs Sergey Kovalev + undercards

--- Usual fight in the western world, Russian batters Haitian pillar to post as Montreal ref blows picture perfect KD while fighters slip around on Teflon painted logos.

They can wear their bushy beards to pose tough but they can't prevent the inevitable.

Don't get me wrong, but, I love watching Kovalev but how good is he? (Thinking of his potential fight with Ward)

It's hard to tell against Pascal. He was very flat footed and he punched air a lot. Pascal was an easy target for Kovalev. Pascal's reaction/punches were very slow. The complete opposite from what Ward has to offer, who he may fight next.

In round 5 why wasn't Pascal warned for dropping below the waist line?, which is illegal, and why wasn't Kovalev warned for his punches? - poor refereeing. It was obvious Pascal was more at fault and the ref for not reacting to the situation, I don't blame Kovalev as the ref is meant to control the fight. Maybe the ref could have gave a count as the ropes perhaps as the ropes helped Pascal stay up? (19mins http://www.koboxingforum.com/showthread.php?t=107322) probably being too harsh but he did look as if he was hanging on.

Pascal not coming out for the 8th round sums him up, some fighters have that extra will to win, some don't.

I am happy Kovalev won and I hope a fight with Ward can happen...

--- Don't see Ward showing anything at LH, but him turning down a Froch super fight in England shows me plenty.

Looks to be winding down and not even a new promoter has replenished him. See what happens this year, but thus far he's put a bigger fight against making big fights than he ever showed in the ring.

--- Yeah, ref horrendous as pascal slumped most of the fight. Flash to Prichard Colon with another poor ref to understand boxing seems destined to remain low browed with the greater public.

Should've been stopped before the 6th rd. Don't help none that Ring now advocates dehydrating fighters on fight day.

Edited by LondonRingRules

--- Yeah, ref horrendous as pascal slumped most of the fight. Flash to Prichard Colon with another poor ref to understand boxing seems destined to remain low browed with the greater public.

Should've been stopped before the 6th rd. Don't help none that Ring now advocates dehydrating fighters on fight day.

Was Pascal actually ducking below the belt line? I wasn't paying attention.

The same thing happened to Kovalev with Cleverly. Nathan was ducking WAAAAY below the belt line, and quite a few times.

The idiot (corrupt) ref did nothing, which led to that controversial hit later on, when Cleverly took a knee.