Bruno puts todays fighters to shame

The_budweiser

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/01/27/10/309FA3A500000578-3418880-image-m-26_1453892096410.jpg

Look at the shape he is in, wow.

More pics Still ripped at 54: Frank Bruno back in ring for training session with Ricky Hatton... and he looks fitter than half the fighters of today | Daily Mail Online

What was your favourite Bruno fight?

Re: Bruno puts todays fighters to shame

Bruno probably had the best boxer of any boxer ever. However Witherspoon showed that muscles aren't what win you fights.....in fact they more often than not, lose you them, due to lactic acid build up, and the fact that the arms are too heavy to keep held up. Plus the weight of them makes your punches slower, specially when you add in the tightness.

Tony Tubbs was fat and had flabby arms, but his hand speed was excellent, as was Micheal Dokes's. Dokes was quite slim when he started out btw.

My fav Bruno fight was the first Tyson were I saw at the Apollo theater on a massive screen.

Yeah, the heavyweight division today is lackluster. I agree that someone like Bruno could clean up.

I would love to see a 54 year old become champ. It would be an amazing feat, and an amazing peice of boxing history.....however, there is simply no way Frank at 54 would have a chance against the likes of Wilder, or Joshua. He only ever beat one decent fighter in his career, and even that guy had major mental health issues. He was also VERY lucky that the bell saved him against Cummings.

I would love to see a 54 year old become champ. It would be an amazing feat, and an amazing peice of boxing history.....however, there is simply no way Frank at 54 would have a chance against the likes of Wilder, or Joshua. He only ever beat one decent fighter in his career, and even that guy had major mental health issues. He was also VERY lucky that the bell saved him against Cummings.

Well...Frank always had the punch, but he didn't have the stamina so, unless he could knock out Wilder and Joshua in the first three rounds, he'd be fucked.

--- Bruno good enuf to shame Lewis for 7 rds.

Big punchers were his biggest weakness. Hope he stays mentally healthy as that seems to be his new weakness.

I was ringside for that fight, sat right behind Foreman. When he stood up, I said, George, I have been a fan since I was a kid, can I shake your hand? I put my hand forward and he looked down at it, and walked through me, without saying a word. Bruno did fight well against Lewis, but it is the outcome that matters.

McCall has since come out and said certain things about the Bruno fight - which would make sense - with hindsight.

Point 2 = Bruno is now a deranged basket case so no way is he ever coming back so dont get that idea into your heads.........

Point 3 = you think he looks "good" ??

His stomach - which he is sucking in - is the same size as his chest - so looking "good" from a physique perspective is a definite no-no

His biceps are bigger than his triceps - which should be the other way round.

And the cantaloupes on his shoulders WOULD look good if the anterior delt wasnt twice as big as the lateral and posterior deltoids.

A little bit of vascularity/low BMI doesnt make him look "good" to me (smackheads have good vascularity) - but I wish him no ill. Love him to bits. And he looks better than Povetkin et-al.

Addendum - Ricky looks like a fat ex-pub brawler.

Oh don't get me wrong. I don't think he could do it today. But in his prime he could.

Oh don't get me wrong. I don't think he could do it today. But in his prime he could.

I was replying to your original comment pal. "Yeah, the heavyweight division today is lackluster. I agree that someone like Bruno could clean up." I took it to mean, you thought that he would be able to clean up, because there is no one around.

McCall has since come out and said certain things about the Bruno fight - which would make sense - with hindsight.

Point 2 = Bruno is now a deranged basket case so no way is he ever coming back so dont get that idea into your heads.........

Point 3 = you think he looks "good" ??

His stomach - which he is sucking in - is the same size as his chest - so looking "good" from a physique perspective is a definite no-no

His biceps are bigger than his triceps - which should be the other way round.

And the cantaloupes on his shoulders WOULD look good if the anterior delt wasnt twice as big as the lateral and posterior deltoids.

A little bit of vascularity/low BMI doesnt make him look "good" to me (smackheads have good vascularity) - but I wish him no ill. Love him to bits. And he looks better than Povetkin et-al.

Addendum - Ricky looks like a fat ex-pub brawler.

Not arguing pal, but just wanted to say that, if Bruno was considering entering an official body building competition, then, your points would be very valid.

People were just saying that he has a great physique compared to most other boxers, and I don't think anyone would complain or find the faults that you mentioned, if they themselves had that body. I personally would love to be that big, and still ripped. To say a guy in that shape is a definite no no as far as physique goes, is VERY harsh, imo.

--- Definitely a classic Mutt&Jeff/Odd Couple image for the ages.

Ricky has forearms to match Bruno who looks like he has an odd growth on the back of his noggin. If Ricky cut out a couple of pies per day replaced with some light training, he could be a healthy 160 and look like a former champ should. Even Duran recently dropped some 60-70 lbs and looks much better.

--- Definitely a classic Mutt&Jeff/Odd Couple image for the ages.

Ricky has forearms to match Bruno who looks like he has an odd growth on the back of his noggin. If Ricky cut out a couple of pies per day replaced with some light training, he could be a healthy 160 and look like a former champ should. Even Duran recently dropped some 60-70 lbs and looks much better.

Some boxers are so relieved to not have to have all the strict diets and restrictions on drinking etc, that they go the opposite way once retired. They make up for all the miserable times, by partying and eating what they want, whenever they want. They deserve it, because it is surely the hardest job you could have..to be any kind of professional fighter. Wilfredo Gomez and Hamed, are massive now.

He actually got KO'd in a pub whilst drunkenly arguing with a guy.

That was in the pub toilets at a boozer in Hyde. And the man who did it is a well known gangster from Denton.

Addendum: Maybe I was a bit harsh on old Frank - had my BB judges head on...............:whistle:

Edited by selij
ddendum:

That was in the pub toilets at a boozer in Hyde. And the man who did it is a well known gangster from Denton.

Addendum: Maybe I was a bit harsh on old Frank - had my BB judges head on...............:whistle:

The picture that shows Bruno from the side, whilst punching, is the most incredible body I have ever seen on a boxer, and by far the best body I have EVER seen, on a 54 year old.

Are you local to Manchester? I don't know why, but I often assume that people on the net are in other countries.

Extremely unlikely he has serious mental health issues.

He could obtain a licence overseas, is what I have read. Even great Heavies like Holmes and Louis could not have competed at age 54, and were washed up way before that age, so how on earth could Bruno expect to?