[SPOILERS] Deontay Wilder vs Artur Szpilka - Fight Thoughts

QBoxing

What do you think of Jan. 16's Heavyweight doubleheader?

Deontay Wilder Vs. Artur Szpilka (WBC title) and Charles Martin Vs. Vyacheslav Glazkov (vacant IBF title) ARE both quality fights. Szpilka is fun to watch, but proven vulnerable against even journeyman fighters (Mike Mollo, Brian Minto), but is coming off of a win over Tomasz Adamek, however much such a win has depreciated, and followed that with Ws over Ty Cobb (18-6), Manuel Quezada (29-9), and Yasmany Conseguera (17-1), which are worth little. Eric Molina and Johann Duhaupas gave him mild scares, and I think Szpilka is far superior to them, so he is capable of at least that.

Martin Vs. Glazkov is a joke of a title fight. Glazkov should have lost to what is really a crusierweight in Steve Cunningham, and Derric Rossy too. He's 21-0-1 with an asterisk. Martin has his best wins over Alexander Flores, Joey Dawejko, and Vincent Thompson, none of whom are legitimate contenders. You can argue neither man is a top ten heavyweight, and there is no disputing this is a joke of title fight...but I sort of like the matchmaking.

What's more, Amir Mansour gets Dominic Breazeale on the undercard. He'll have to knock the big fella (6'7) out to get the win, as Fred Kassi learned (vs Breazeale) if I recall correctly and Amir did against Charles Martin.

I'll watch, and if the titles weren't involved in either of the two co-headliners, I wouldn't be ashamed of it. :noidea:

Re: Brooklyn Heavyweight championship doubleheader

--- OK, you don't like Glazkov, but please, it's not like those guys really beat him. Cunningham is dire as a heavy, and Breazele obviously propped up by TBA Haymon.

Martin's OK, but he'll find that Glazkov is better than advertised. WBC Wilder should be stripped for defending against 3 straight TBAs and awarded the TBA/PBC heavyweight belt since 90% of his career has been against TBAs.

--- OK, you don't like Glazkov, but please, it's not like those guys really beat him. Cunningham is dire as a heavy, and Breazele obviously propped up by TBA Haymon.

Martin's OK, but he'll find that Glazkov is better than advertised. WBC Wilder should be stripped for defending against 3 straight TBAs and awarded the TBA/PBC heavyweight belt since 90% of his career has been against TBAs.

Wilder should be stripped of his title, for scheduling a fight with his mandatory, then after that mandatory requested a THIRD delay, signing to fight the next-highest ranked WBC heavyweight that is currently available?

Dude, whatever you're smoking, PLEASE send some to me!

Edited by Cableaddict

Hoping to have a photographer (GEOImagez) and writer (Zute) at this card, to cover it for ringnews24.

Charles Martin has some skills but seems abit one paced and clumsy. Can see Vyacheslav Glazkov outpointing Martin. Glazkov got a gift against Malik Scott, so isn't all that. I'm hoping Martin wins and this is a good test to see what level he's at.

Dominic Breazeale vs Amir Mansour on the undercard - really see the US prospect coming unstuck against "Hardcore". Main Event is a good match-up and I expect Wilder to win but Szpilka to make it competitive.

Hoping to have a photographer (GEOImagez) and writer (Zute) at this card, to cover it for ringnews24.

Charles Martin has some skills but seems abit one paced and clumsy. Can see Vyacheslav Glazkov outpointing Martin. Glazkov got a gift against Malik Scott, so isn't all that. I'm hoping Martin wins and this is a good test to see what level he's at.

Dominic Breazeale vs Amir Mansour on the undercard - really see the US prospect coming unstuck against "Hardcore". Main Event is a good match-up and I expect Wilder to win but Szpilka to make it competitive.

I definitely feel the same way about Martin. I don't think much of either man, but this could be a case where a fighter (Martin) Finally gets a big chance in the spotlight, and really steps up his game. Martin could simply never have had enough motivation to train properly before this opportunity, or he had a 60 hr /week day job, or whatever. Or maybe he couldn't afford / attract a top trainer. A win against Glazkov could change everything for him, in which case we'd have another solid player in the top ten.

Glazkov will NEVER be anything special, that's obvious, but Martin could possibly be great, with the right trainer and the right work-ethic (and the right management) Plus, he has a very appealing "look" to him: As with AJ, the casuals look at a guy like this and just think "bad ass wrecking machine." That makes him very marketable, and that's good for the sport overall, even if Martin later loses to an elite HW.

You just HAVE to be rooting for Martin to win.

---------------------------------

Breazeale - Mansour: I've got Breazeale in this one, hands down. I know that he looked like ass against Kassi, and actually lost that fight, while Mansour stopped Kassi in the middle rounds, but sometimes great fighters just have bad nights. In every other Breazeale fight I've seen, he's looked very good -to - great, IMO. He's extremely athletic, has great balance, & knows how to fight tall. - He has a HUGE reach advantage over Mansour, and that combined with his (normally) excellent defensive footwork should be the difference.

Breaezeale also throws at a very high output., & with really fast hands, so Mansour won't have much time to think. Lastly, Breazeale, unlike most tall HW's, goes to the body a lot. If Mansour tries to crowd him and fight on the inside, Breazeale will eat his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

I hate this fight, because I'm a fan of both guys. I do like Mansour a lot. He's got power & he's got heart. He also had enough skills to beat Cunningham, despite Steve Smoger doing everything he could to help Cunningham short of hitting Mansour with a sledgehammer, and the ridiculous scorecards. I'm going to hate to see him lose.

Mansour's best chance, IMO, is to attack really fast and really hard right from the opening bell, as Breazealle tends to be a very slow starter.

----------------------------------

FWIW, Breazeale was supposed to fight Martin this month (December) which was a fight I was major excited about, but then Martin got the opportunity to fight Glazkov. At least they gave Breazeale a decent replacement, and still good exposure. Perhaps we'll see the winners of these two fights fight each other next, since Wilder has Povetkin in the fall, and Fury has the Wlad rematch, and then possibly a third Wlad fight. (sigh ......)

The wildcard in all this is Luis Ortiz. Man, I hope he's able to get his shot now, before he gets any older.

Edited by Cableaddict

Deontay Wilder: I’m knocking out Szpilka

http://www.ringnews24.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Deontay-Wilder.jpg

“I’m knocking out Szpilka and I’m sending a message to everyone who stands in my way!” – Wilder

“I hope you hear this loud and clear…you’re done January 16th!” – Szpilka

Heavyweight world champion Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder and bruising Polish challenger Artur Szpilka took time out of their intense training schedules to exchange some words on a media conference call Wednesday before they meet in the ring on Saturday, January 16 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, live on SHOWTIME® (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT).

Read more: Deontay Wilder: I’m knocking out Szpilka - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Thanks pal. I actually really rate Wilder btw. He beat Stiverne with a broken hand, and looked awesome in his last defence, albeit against a less than stellar opponent.

Look at Riddick Bowe's first two defences, Dokes was awesome in his prime, but he could barely stand climb in the ring.

Peace

Thanks pal. I actually really rate Wilder btw. He beat Stiverne with a broken hand, and looked awesome in his last defence, albeit against a less than stellar opponent.

Look at Riddick Bowe's first two defences, Dokes was awesome in his prime, but he could barely stand climb in the ring.

Peace

Big Daddys fghts with Dokes and Jesse Ferguson were farcical. Wilder won me over with the Stiverne fight - more than just a banger. This next fight is a good test.

Big Daddys fghts with Dokes and Jesse Ferguson were farcical. Wilder won me over with the Stiverne fight - more than just a banger. This next fight is a good test.

You got that right!

Wilder should certainly beat Szpilka, unless Artur can somehow trap him on the ropes, attack the body, and avoid Wilder's uppercuts all at the same time. - I wouldn't count on this.

However, what really matters is HOW Wilder deals with Szpilka: I still believe Wilder was using Molina and DuHaupas as training bags, to work on his inside game, something he'll need when he eventually faces Povetkin. . - And that inside game DID look a little better in the DuHaupas fight. However, Szpilka, for all his sloppy faults, can really bang, and he throws big shots in bunches. Wilder would be very foolish to purposely fight this guy on the inside.

Szpilka is the perfect test-opponent before Povetkin, who hits harder & is more accurate, but fights in a fairly similar style and is about the same size.

SO - I'm hoping to see Wilder completely control the distance. Keep him on the outside. Overwhelm him with crisp, stinging jabs. Vary his timing. Use lateral movement...... Heck, if Wilder can do all these things, then I don't even care if he wins by KO or not. I just want to see a more complete fighter.

If this happens, then Povetkin is in big trouble. If on the other hand, Szpilka is able to make it a war, then Wilder still has a lot of work to do before facing Sasha.

• 3 weeks later...

Glazkov-Martin is an okay match but is no way, shape or form a world title fight. It's no more worthy of title fight status than Joshua-Whyte.

This is true.

However, it's a fascinating matchup, stylistically, and it COULD end up being an important, watershed fight as well:

Martin is an enigma. Sloppy, poory trained, but tall, very fast, and very powerful. (And exciting, if nothing else)

Sometimes raw fighters with big potential look bad for years, because they're making shit money, have bad trainers, have day jobs, lack motivation, etc. Then a high-profile fight comes along. they finally have a chance in the spotlight. they quit their day job, start training seriously, get the road work & plyometrics in, and then surprise the fuck out of everybody in the ring.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see exactly this from Martin.

Maybe not, but if he DOES rise to the occasion, we'll have another exciting contender in the division. The type of fighter that pulls in the casuals like crazy.

------------

FWIW, I'm hoping to see the same thing from Dominic Breazeale, Though I think there's a smaller chance of it happening with him.

Looking forward to covering this event. Love the Barclay Center as well

Nice, i'll be in the building as well. I haven't missed a single boxing event at Barclay Center since it's been open.

I hope Artur enjoys his 15 minutes of fame.

- And by 15 minutes, I mean this 3 minute altercation, his 3 minute ring walk, the 3 minutes of in-ring introductions,

and the two three-minute rounds he's going to last against Wilder.