Has Santa Cruz's popularity taken a dive?

BoztheMadman

Not sure why, but it seems like he isn't as popular or touted now as he was a couple years ago. Could it be that he failed to knock out that tiny Puerto Rican guy, whats his name? Cesar Seda. He hasn't yet fought all the best fighters in the division, but he has fought guys like Mares, Mijares and Terrazas. Frampton and Quigg haven't exactly been rushing to fight him either. The man is still undefeated at 31-0-1. I wonder what it takes to beat a guy like him. But anyway, for some reason, the medias seem to focus more on other fighters these days, like Joshua, Spence jr, Canelo, Bradley, Fury... Edited by BoztheMadman

Re: Has Santa Cruz's popularity taken a dive?

Highlights of his fight with Abner Mares were on the End of Year Show of KOTV (Channel 4 in the UK). That fight earned him the ridiculous WBA 'super' title at featherweight. No idea why they were fighting for that vacant made up belt.

He seems to have moved himself away from Rigondeauz, Frampton or Quigg fights. He could fight Jesus Marcelo Andres Cuellar to find out who is the proper WBA champion. Decent fight. As for unifications, they would seem hard to make. I agree there doesn't seem much hype around about Santa Cruz these days, not quite sure why.

Funny Cable. I think he is one of those boxers fans do not think about unless he is active, he has been an active guy in the past and needs to get back to that. 3 or 4 good fights this year will put him back in the limelight

It's a shame really I quite like him, I would love to see him against Frampton or Quigg

Same here. He's fun to watch but I guess, like Frampton...sometimes he has his off nights. But who doesn't? Those who don't are not fighting the best opponents.

Ah, are you the famous Tracey? I thought they were making a joke, when they said female money mayweather fan = Tracey. I thought it was a word they had come up with, but now that I have seen your user name, I am assuming I was mistaken.

Why do you not give Quigg much of a chance Boz?

Because Frampton just seems too talented and too fast. Many are criticising him for the last fight, but the guy he fought was good, the son of former world champion Alejandro Gonzalez. And that fight was in USA, it's not always easy for European fighters to come over there and fight. Jetlag, hostile crowd and some other factors influence them.

• 4 weeks later...