Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin used ‘Torture’ machine

The_budweiser

LOS ANGELES (April 22, 2011) – Prior to leaving for his Big Bear training camp in final preparation for his April 29th showdown against Jesse Brinkley, undefeated prospect Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin used a Vortex machine at his strength-and-conditioning coach Brad Bose’s Anatomy gym in Santa Monica in order to increase his arm strength and power punching.

The 27-year-old Quillin (23-0, 17 KOs), born in Chicago and raised in Grand Rapids (MI), moved a year ago from Brooklyn to LA, where he hooked-up with Roach and started training at his famed Wild Card Gym, in addition to signing an exclusive promotional contract with Golden Boy Promotions.

“Kid Chocolate” headlines an April 29 show against former world title challenger Brinkley (35-6, 22 KOs) in Reno, Nevada, airing on Telefutura in a 10-round bout for the vacant USBO super middleweight title.

The Vortex, according to Bose (http://www.bosemangement.com), is an intimidating machine to look at, about 6-feet wide and 4 to 5 feet deep. Bose trains a lot of celebrities at his gym, some on The Vortex, including Robert Downing, Jr. for the movie, Ironman, as well as many mixed-martial-arts fighters. Boxers from the Wild Card like Quillin have started taking advantages of this functional training machine.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/blog/35-demo-content/19052-peter-kid-chocolate-quillin-used-torture-machine-to-prepare-for-apr-29-title-fight-against-brinkley.html#ixzz1KGTPJ2jU

Peter 'Kid Chocolate' Quillin training camp notes

LOS ANGELES (April 26, 2011) – Unbeaten prospect Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin (23-0, 17 KOs), breaks camp today (Tues) at Big Bear and arrives tomorrow in Reno for Friday night’s showdown against past world title challenger Jesse Brinkley (35-6, 22 KOs) in the 10 round main event, airing live on Telefutura, for the vacant USBO super middleweight championship.

Below find training camp notes and quotes from the 27-year-old Quillin, who was born in Chicago, raised in Grand Rapids (MI), and moved a year ago from Brooklyn to Los Angeles.

Training for Friday’s Fight

Quillin was back in Wild Card Gym three days after his last fight, a win by four-round TKO versus Dennis Sharpe on February 11. “I’m not champ yet, so there are no days off.” Qullin had training camp at Big Bear the past two weeks. In addition to training at Wild Card, prior to heading up to Big Bear, he spent two or three days a week for six weeks at his strength-and-conditioning coach Brad Bose’s Anatomi gym in Santa Monica, much of the time working out on The Vortex that “Kid Chocolate” described as a torture machine.

Big Bear

This is the first time in his pro career that Quillin has trained in high altitude, at Big Bear in the Summit High Altitude Training Center. “I came up here in good shape. Working at an elevated level is different. Great fighters have trained here like Oscar De La Hoya (his promoter). Shane Mosley and ‘Chop Chop’ Corley came by to say hello. That meant a lot to me. I’m very fortunate to be in this situation.

“I trained before in the Poconos (Mountains in Northeast Pennsylvania) but that’s nothing like up here. The Poconos are maybe 2500-3000 (feel above sea level) but it is 7000 here. I was always training there for four or six round fights but this is a 10-rounder.”

Sparring

Since being at Big Bear, Quillin has sparred five times for a total 39 rounds, the most 11 rounds in one day, with undefeated light heavyweight Sergey Kovalev (14-0, 12 KOs) and light middleweight Robert Garcia (29-2, 21 KOs). But he regularly sparred Monday, Wednesday and Fridays – 6 to 10 rounds each time – at Wild Card before heading to Big Bear. “Wild Card is packed with sparring partners – world champs, former world champs and up-and-comers. Before coming up here I sparred with guys like (Nobuhiro) Ishida and (Vanes) Martirosyan. Sergey and Robert have given me good sparring at Big Bear.”

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/blog/35-demo-content/19823--peter-kid-chocolate-quillin-training-camp-notesbb.html#ixzz1KfQdlk9r