Mayweather thinks Cotto would be a good tune-up

WelshDevilRob

Roger Mayweather thinks Cotto would be a good tune-up for Floyd

April 14th, 2011

By Chris Williams:

Roger Mayweather, the trainer and uncle of Floyd Mayweather Jr., thinks that Miguel Cotto would be a good tune-up for Floyd as he gets ready for a bout against Manny Pacquiao. Roger figures that Floyd needs at least a couple of tune-up bouts before his mega fight against Pacquiao. One of those tune-ups would be against Cotto if his promoter Bob Arum allowed him to get the fight with Mayweather.

It’s something you can never be too sure about because Cotto would likely get embarrassed by Mayweather and Arum might not like that happening because it could hurt a future rematch between Pacquiao and Cotto. I mean who would want to see Pacquiao fight Mayweather’s leftovers after he makes Cotto look like an amateur?

Speaking with the examiner.com, Roger says “He [Floyd] could fight Cotto. He could fight a whole bunch of guys.” Cotto would be about as easy as the rest of them. It wouldn’t be a tough fight because Cotto is vulnerable and Mayweather’s speed and boxing ability would be too much for him. Roger say “He [Floyd] can get a couple of tune-ups fights and fight Pacquiao. He whips Pacquiao’s a** and he don’t got to prove nothing else.”

That’s true. Once Mayweather beats Pacquiao, there’s no other opponents out there for Mayweather to beat. He would have already fought Pacquiao last year if Pacquiao had been willing to agree to the random blood testing that Mayweather wanted. Mayweather wanted testing to stop a minimum of two weeks before the fight, whereas Pacquiao wanted at least three weeks. I suppose Pacquiao must of thought it would be easy to put together a fight with Mayweather at a later date. He must be kicking himself now for not agreeing to the textbook version of random blood testing so that the fight could be made last year.

Source:

www.boxingnews24.com

Left overs!!!!!!!! That's absolutely absurd!! This is what I am clamoring for!!!

That's not left overs. Let them all fight. These are either great champions or guys with tremendous skill. THey will all step up to the plate when under the bright lights!!!

Great opponent for both Cotto and Mayweather. Mayweather is using the bouts as a measuring stick to see how he would fare but with the contrasting styles it may not say as much. If that's what he feels he needs to do them so be it.

Ha, so, he now realizes that he needs to money? Either way. Great way for him to save face. The guy is ultra talented no reason why he should end his career without any excitement.

Elatedd!!! to hear that it is a possibility, even if his hand was forced!!!!!!!!!!!!

An opponent they both shared was Victoriano Sosa. I know that you absolutely can't determine the outcome of shared opponents but it was good for speculation!

Sosa would have fared off better had he been in better shape. Great to see the hand speed of both early on. Sosa seem to get tired down the stretch and Mayweather of course showed his superior conditioning. He seemed to respect Sosa. But it was nice watching the the back and forth.

Judge: Chuck Hassett 118-110

Judge: Lou Filippo 119-109

Judge: Jack Woodburn 118-110

The score was a lot closer then it looks or it seemed, but Sosa never really landed alot as it looked like it was caught on the gloves of Mayweather.

Sosa would fight Cotto almost a year after Floyd. Cotto on the other hand was able to negate Sosa's superior hand speed.

Cotto's an aged fighter now and has always had nightmares against slick boxer types, so I don't see the point. As for serving up a fighter Mayweather already beat to Pacquiao(disregarding the fact Pacquiao beat Cotto first), I guess we'll see the answer to that question when we get the figures for the Mosley walkover.

Exactly, Grapevine. It's a shame that that's seen as a "tune up fight" now, because there was a time before Floyd started screwing around where it was one of the Best Fights in the Sport. Floyd better fight SOMEBODY (ANYBODY!) or we'll start thinking of HIM as somebodies Tune up. People's memories aren't as long as you think they are, Floyd................

I think Cotto could beat Floyd and I highly doubt they would take him as a 'tune-up', it will be someone like Paulie Malignaggi who Floyd fights when he comes back.

Cotto cant make 147lbs anymore.

Floyds 34 I think, how long until age is an issue, he did get caught hard a few times in the Mosley fight, the most hurt he has been in years.

I can see Floyd fighting Khan after the Mccloskey fight at Wembley in a huge fight but more like a tune up for Floyd. Been saying for years Khan vs Mayweather will happen because it would make Floyd alot of money and he might not see it as a really dangerous fight.

I think Cotto could beat Floyd and I highly doubt they would take him as a 'tune-up', it will be someone like Paulie Malignaggi who Floyd fights when he comes back.

Cotto cant make 147lbs anymore.

Floyds 34 I think, how long until age is an issue, he did get caught hard a few times in the Mosley fight, the most hurt he has been in years.

I can see Floyd fighting Khan after the Mccloskey fight at Wembley in a huge fight but more like a tune up for Floyd. Been saying for years Khan vs Mayweather will happen because it would make Floyd alot of money and he might not see it as a really dangerous fight.

To me Floyd absolutely kills Khan. Cotto is alot more of a challenge.

Am I the only one who thinks Cotto has a great chance?

Mayweather isn't a big puncher - the only type of fighter to beat him so far.

He may have had nightmares against slick fighters as has been put (I can't think of any examples off the top of my head?) but he has beaten them all...

I think he's busy enough for Floyd to have to go the extra mile for victory.

I think he's smart enough and can mix it up enough to beat Floyd. He also possesses the power to deck him.

The smart money is on Floyd, but I think Cotto's been counted out too soon...

He may have had nightmares against slick fighters as has been put (I can't think of any examples off the top of my head?) but he has beaten them all...

I think he's smart enough and can mix it up enough to beat Floyd. He also possesses the power to deck him.

I think Cotto can win. Floyd is not invincible and Cotto has the balance of skills and power.

The thing with cotto as he's got older he's boxing more and more technically rather than aggressively, he's never going to beat Floyd at his own game

The thing with cotto as he's got older he's boxing more and more technically rather than aggressively, he's never going to beat Floyd at his own game

True, Brick. The thing is that Floyd is getting older and slowr. Cotto has developed into a smarter fighter. I think its a great match-up.

He may have had nightmares against slick fighters as has been put (I can't think of any examples off the top of my head?) but he has beaten them all....

It might be more accurate for me to say fast fighters, but there's ana element of slickness in most speedsters' games. Malignaggi rattled him early on by drilling combinations into him, but his lack of power caused a problem. Torres decked him by hitting hard and at speed, Mosley and Judah both gave him problems and to a certain extent so did a faded Corley, though Corley's never been *that* quick to my knowledge.

He beat them all but mostly by wearing them down in wars of attrition - I can't see Mayweather taking enough to let that happen.

bravo//

Also, people always were trying to make the case that all manny did was fight floyd's left overs. Funny how things work out.

I think Cotto wins.

..who's the other leftover? The guy he fought twice?... ;-)

I don't like the Mosley fight but sadly it is what it is, a fight that will sell to the masses and is being shown live on Sky Sports...I won't complain about the card (despite Antillon v Soto being pulled) even if the results are predictable as I'll be getting it on telly for free. I won't boycott a fight I'm getting on TV for free (I'd be watching Rachman's WBA title fight if it was on TV despite thinking it's a complete bullshit bout).

The guy he fought twice and had a bigger nightmare each time,leading to an entire career avoiding tricksy counterpunchers and going for aggressive trading fighters. Marquez was hardly Manny's leftovers - he's definitely Floyd's.

I never enjoyed watching Mosley when he was only a little past his prime , I sure as hell have no intention of watching him now, and wouldn't even if sky were paying me to watch. Ditto Rahman - I will always cherish his KO of Lewis but he returned to his previous level fairly quickly(or rather stayed there, given it was largely Lewis's fault he lost rather than Rahman's.)