Marquez vs Judah in July PPV?

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer met this week in Mexico with lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez in an effort to work out a new promotional agreement.

by Dan Rafael

Marquez's contract recently expired, although Golden Boy says it has the right to match any offer for a year. Marquez wants a third fight with Manny Pacquiao, against whom he has two disputed fights, a loss and draw. But if Marquez stays with Golden Boy it is unlikely he would get a fall fight with Pacquiao, should he beat Shane Mosley on May 7, because Pacquiao is promoted by Golden Boy rival Top Rank.

Schaefer told ESPN.com that the meeting went well and that he offered Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KOs) a multi-fight contract.

Schaefer said one of the bouts they discussed, which would kick off a new deal if it is agreed to, was a possible July pay-per-view fight against junior welterweight titlist Zab Judah (41-6, 28 KOs), who has openly campaigned for a fight with Marquez, who would move up in weight for the bout if it happened.

"Marquez was interested," Schaefer said. "We're talking about it. We've made him a really good offer. That's all I really want to say. I'm not going to discuss what we talked about related to Pacquiao. That's non-productive to discuss it in the media."

Schaefer did say that, as it relates to a possible Judah fight, he had spoken to his promoter, Kathy Duva of Main Events. Schaefer said Duva reiterated their interest in the fight.

Source

http://sports.espn.go.com/

Very competitive bout. I think Marquez is a late bloomer who seems to get better and better whereas Judah has been on the decline for a while now. I'd expect Marquez to win. If Marquez wants a title at 140lbs i think Judah's title is the one to go for. I'd say he's the weakest of the champions at 140lbs.