The experts decide: Segura vs Calderon II

londoner

By Lem Satterfield

BoxingScene.com has sought the opinion of 11 boxing insiders as to their thoughts on who will win Saturday night's rematch between Mexican-born, 28-year-old, WBA and WBO junior flyweight king, Giovani Segura, of Bell Gardens, Calif., and the man he dethroned, 35-year-old southpaw ex-titlist, Ivan Calderon, of Puerto Rico.

In August, Segura ventured into Coliseo Mario 'Quijote' in Guaynabo, the Puerto Rican hometown of the previously unbeaten Calderon, and reprised of one of the longest and most contentious rivalries between two of boxing's premiere countries in the sport - Mexico and Puerto Rico.

Segura scored an eight-round stoppage for his seventh consecutive knockout over the course of as many straight wins at 1 minute, 34 seconds of the final round.

Segura employed a left to the body that was followed by a right to the body from which Calderon failed to rise as referee Jose Hiram Rivera reached the count of 10.

With that, Segura unified the WBA and WBO belts, improved to 25-1-1 with his 21st knockout, and dropped Calderon to 34-1-1 overall, and a remarkable 18-1-1 in championship bouts.

Segura is now 26-1-1, with 22 stoppages and eight straight knockouts after finishing off super flyweight Manuel Vargas (29-7-1, 14 KOs) in the seventh round of their November match up.

This time, Segura will face Calderon at Auditorio del Estado, Mexicali, Baja California, Mex., before what should be a crowd partisan to Segura.

Below are the result of BoxingScene.com's poll of boxing writers.

Steve Farhood, Showtime Boxing Analyst

Giovani Segura KO 6 Ivan Calderon: The result of the first fight gives me no choice but to predict the same result - Giovani Segura by knockout.

I have to believe that Ivan Calderon gave whatever was left in the first few rounds of the first fight. It might be easier this time. Segura by kayo in six.

Doug Fischer, Ring TV.com

Giovani Segura KO rounds 8-10 over Ivan Calderon: Giovani Segura by late stoppage. The younger, bigger, stronger and much more harder-hitting man had a better camp than he did for the first fight, i.e., he has his weight more under control.

Ivan Calderon will still be competitive and pose stylistic problems for Segura, but the gutsy champ will dictate an inspired fight in front of his countrymen and gradually wear down the proud Puerto Rican.

Norm Frauenheim, 15rounds.com

Giovani Segura late-round TKO Ivan Calderon: I'm picking Giovani Segura by late-round TKO. It's hard to see how Ivan Calderon can avenge his only loss.

Segura has all the advantages, the biggest of which might be his loyal Mexican fans in the rematch Saturday at Mexicali. Segura is bigger and more powerful, both of which combined for his stoppage of Calderon in August, 2010.

Calderon is a terrific technician. His best chance is to win by decision. In 36 fights, he has only six knockouts. But in Segura's home country, he needs a stoppage. Any way that you add it up, that's unlikely.

Thomas Gerbasi, BoxingScene.com

Giovani Segura TKO8 Ivan Calderon: I think that Giovani Segura will stop Ivan Calderon inside of eight rounds. This one will probably be more one-sided than the first one.

I just don't think Calderon has the legs to keep Segura off him.

Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

Ivan Calderon W 12 Giovani Segura: I like Giovani Segura very much as a fighter, but Ivan Calderon is an all-timer in this division.

Calderon is on the decline, but I think he's motivated by the outcome of the first fight and will be able to bring back some of the old magic for the rematch.

There will be some hairy moments, but I like Calderon by, what else, a decision.

Steve Kim, MaxBoxing.com

Giovani Segura by late-round KO over Ivan Calderon: I think history will repeat itself. Ivan Calderon has not gotten any younger, and Giovani Segura still is essentially the same guy that wore him down last summer.

And, now, the fight is in Segura's backyard. Segura by late-round KO.

Kieran Mulvaney, ESPN Boxing and Reuters

Giovani Segura KO 10 Ivan Calderon: I love Ivan Calderon. Always have. For so long, he has been the epitome of a pure boxer, a perfect practitioner of the sweet science.

But in his last couple of fights prior to his initial clash with Giovani Segura, there were signs he was slowing down and becoming easier to hit.

Given that he doesn't punch hard enough to deter his foes, that presaged trouble, and so it proved against Segura.

I just don't think that Calderon has enough in the tank to outbox Segura.

So I expect more of the same -- Segura taking it to Calderon and quite possibly stopping him late again.

Rick Reeno, BoxingScene.com

Giovani Segura early round KO Ivan Calderon: I see the same end result as the first fight, except this time I expect Giovani Segura to stop Ivan Calderon a lot faster.

The only factor that might benefit Calderon is if Segura's performance is affected by his physical struggle to make

weight.

Michael Rosenthal, Ring TV.com

Ivan Calderon W 12 Giovani Segura: I think that Ivan Calderon reaches into the past and pulls out one more excellent performance.

Calverton will carefully outbox Giovani Segura and win a unanimous decision by about eight rounds to four, thus avenging his loss.

Joseph Santiliquito, Ring Magazine Editor

Giovani Segura KO 9 Ivan Calderon: The first fight was exciting, and there's no reason to think this fight won't be, either.

But I'm looking for Giovani Segura to defend the Ring junior flyweight world championship in another Fight of the Year candidate, stopping Ivan Calderon late.

Bob Velin, USA Today

Giovani Segura KO 10 Ivan Calderon. I'm picking Giovani Segura in a 10th-round stoppage. Ivan Calderon took punishment to the body in the first fight -- a great fight.

But Calderon will be on the move more in this fight and make Giovani Segura work harder to dole out that punishment.

But Segura is a relentless attacker and will wear Calderon down by the 10th round. That's when the fight will be stopped. Having the fight in his native Mexico helps the champion, too.

You know Segura will never quit, and I don't think Calderon has enough left in the tank to overcome Segura's size and strength.

They've asked some pretty knowledgeable boxing experts and the majority seem to favour a Segura KO win.

I can't say i disagree. I'm going for a very similar KO win to the first. Somewhere around the mid-late rounds: Round 7 or 8 possibly.

I'd love Calderon to get a weight-drained Segura and box his way to a victory, but the signs were there vs Mares that he was starting to fade, so I think he's left with nowhere to go. Credit to him for taking the rematch but he's got a mountain to climb.

I've just watched the first fight again and I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Calderon's going to win - maybe even by KO. He had Segura hurt a couple of times, which is ludicrous when you consider how little power he has, so I think Segura's dead at the weight. Calderon needs to stay off the ropes though, and stop trying to engage early on.