Cotto-Margarito II picking up speed!

RAZZ-MCFC

Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum, is already working on the planned July 16 rematch between WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (36-2, 29KOs) of Puerto Rico, and his Mexican rival Antonio Margartio (38-7, 27KOs). In 2008, Margarito handed Cotto the first loss of his career with a stoppage victory in the eleventh round.

Two locations are being considered, but it appears that Las Vegas is slightly ahead of the pack to land the fight. Arum was impressed with the thousands of Puerto Rican fans who crowded the MGM Grand for Cotto's recent victory over Ricardo Mayorga.

"Right now, we're thinking of two places for the Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito fight. One is in Las Vegas, and the other is in the Meadowlands. But right now, we feel that Las Vegas might be the better fit because we had a considerable number of Puerto Ricans at the fight on last Saturday," Arum told BoxingScene.com.

"And when you add to them, the Mexicans, who are heavily supportive and represented both in Nevada and California and Arizona, then it should be a full house. We're looking at July 16."

Margarito has yet to be licensed in the state of Nevada. Arum doesn't expect any issues with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Since the 2009 hand-wrapping scandal, Margarito has only been licensed in the state of Texas.

"No, I think that we've talked to some of the commissioners, and we feel that we'll be alright. And we'll get their assurances before we settle on Las Vegas as a site," Arum said.

As far as the pay-per-view undercard, one of Top Rank's newest signees - Kermit Cintron (32-3, 28KOs) - is going to appear in a major fight. Another strong possibility is former three division champion Marco Antonio Barrera (67-7, 44KOs).

"We're planning to do another great show to do another great show on July 16. We're expecting to have Kermit Cintron on the show in a major fight. Maybe Marco Antonio Barrera on the card as well. So it will be a real fiesta," Arum said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=37192

Interested in this fight especially with all the rumors that Margarito used loaded gloves in the first fight. I want cotto to beat the dog crap out of this cheater.

this basically!

at one point i wanted Cotto to absolutely murder Margarito, but the beating Pac gave Toni gave me huge satisfaction!

i think once Cotto serves him some punishment then everyone can safely say things are even!

Interested in this fight especially with all the rumors that Margarito used loaded gloves in the first fight. I want cotto to beat the dog crap out of this cheater.

this basically!

at one point i wanted Cotto to absolutely murder Margarito, but the beating Pac gave Toni gave me huge satisfaction!

i think once Cotto serves him some punishment then everyone can safely say things are even!

What would you say, Ryan, if Margarito beats Cotto again?

this basically!

What would you say, Ryan, if Margarito beats Cotto again?

I think that's probably what would happen, Skav. Both guys are damaged goods, and often in those cases I think it favors the guy who's less reliant on his technical skill, in this case I believe that to be Margarito. Even with Margo's beatings by Mosley/Pac and his being "unwrapped" for the rematch, I still think that mentally he would have a huge edge, especially when the fight got down to the nitty gritty. I'd LOVE to see Cotto get revenge and beat the stuffing out of Margo, but I think a test of wills goes Margarito's way everytime angry//

Say what you like about Bob Arum, he's got a real generosity of spirit:

When Cotto doesn't renew his contract as quickly as he might, he gets a weight-restricted fight against Pacquiao.

Mosley admits having used steroids and Arum takes pity on him and offers him a Margarito fight and then later a fight with Pacuiao.

When Margarito is found using loaded gloves for the Mosley fight, he is supported through is ban and given an easy comeback followed by two successive multi-million dollar fights with P4P fighters.

It's just too bad Arum doesn't manage any of the big-name heavyweights or he could further demonstrate his charitable nature by offering a fight to Ike Ibeabuchi.

According to BoxingScene, Cintron might be facing K-9 Bunderage on this card, and possibly eying his own Cotto fight later on in the Fall or Spring. It's easy to make since K-9 fights for Don King, who's one of the few promoters that Top Rank will actually work in conjunction with.