David Price to fight John McDermott in British Eliminator

WelshDevilRob

DAVID PRICE’S patience has finally been rewarded.

Having waded through a sea of inadequate heavyweight opponents, the 6ft 8in city boxer has been handed the chance to show off his skills in far more legitimate company.

Former British title challenger John McDermott awaits Price after the British Boxing Board of Control ordered them to fight in an eliminator for the Lonsdale Belt.

Unbeaten Price (9-0) will have a preparation bout, on the undercard of Stephen Smith’s British featherweight title fight on April 27 in Liverpool, before meeting McDermott in the summer.

Victory will make Price mandatory contender for the strap held by Dereck Chisora - though the Londoner must defend against Tyson Fury first.

The Beijing bronze medallist is confident of defeating Essex man McDermott but has respect for the 31-year-old, a boxer who is often far more effective than he appears.

A deadline for purse bids of April 13 has been set by the BBBofC though with the pair both promoted by the same man, Price does not see there being any stumbling block to the fight happening.

“Because we are both promoted by Frank Maloney there should not be a problem in getting this fight sorted,” he explained.

“We tried to get McDermott a couple of fights ago but it didn’t happen. But we were ready for this type of opponent back then. Fortunately the fight has now been ordered by the Board and I’m excited and looking forward to the fight, this is a step up in class.

“I’ve still got my fight in April at The Olympia and then hopefully in the summer we’ll fight McDermott and by the end of the year I’ll be fighting for the British title.

“Things are starting to unravel nicely now.

“McDermott is a well respected heavyweight and tough. He does come in not looking in the best of shape but is always in decent condition and most importantly is experienced. This is a step up in class but one I’m confident can have a successful outcome for me.

“I watched his last fight against Larry Olubamiwo but it didn’t prove anything to me. I always expected him to win the fight, though didn’t think it would be that early. It was a bit of a crash, bang, wallop fight, finished in one round.

“I’ve sparred with John quite a bit so we know each other well, and know what to expect.”

Source:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk

Good domestic showdown. If Fury and Chisora can sort out their differences and then the winner fight the winner here, we should see some good British fights at HW. Throw in Dallas, Sexton, Towers and even Olubamiwo and we have a interesting few years ahead.