Roach Rips Alexander Over Khan Jab: He Won't Get To Us

grapevine241

Roach Rips Alexander Over Khan Jab: He Won't Get To Us

By Chris LaBate

Freddie Roach has fired back at WBC junior welterweight champion Devon Alexander over his critical comments about WBA king Amir Khan. Alexander is not buying the hype that surrounds Khan and his accomplishments. He said Khan an "okay" fighter but not much more than that.

"Khan is an okay fighter, but he's no big deal," Alexander said. "People are making a big hype about him but I don't know what all the hype is about. He has a little power behind him but people think he is more than what I think he is. The winner of Alexander v Bradley doesn't have to go after Amir Khan. The winner of this fight is going to be No. 1 in the division. [Juan Manuel] Marquez is a bigger fight than Khan so it's about chasing him. Khan is not the cash cow at 140-pounds."

Roach, who took over the training duties for Khan in 2009, is not impressed with Alexander. He doesn't seem to care about the critical comments because the trainer is fully behind Timothy Bradley beating Alexander on January 29 in Pontiac, Michigan.

"Who has Devon Alexander fought?" Roach said to BoxingScene.com. "I mean, I've never seen him fight, to be honest with you. That's how popular he is with me. We won't get a chance to fight him because he can't beat Bradley."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34835

Alexander's Trainer Fires Back: "Who is Amir Khan?&quot

Alexander's Trainer Fires Back: "Who is Amir Khan?"

By Ryan Burton

Kevin Cunningham, who trains and manages undefeated WBC junior welterweight champion Devon Alexander "The Great" (21-0) reached out to BoxingScene.com to respond to an article by BoxingScene's Robert Morales.

Within the article, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said that he plans to match his fighter Amir Khan versus the Tim Bradley-Devon Alexander winner. The story says that Schaefer is shooting for the fight to take place on July 30th. Schaefer goes on to say that he wants to match the Bradley-Alexander loser with another one of his fighters, Marcos Maidana.

Cunningham told BoxingScene, "Who is Amir Khan? What has he ever done? Bradley and Alexander have both been unified champions and are both putting their undefeated records on the line on January 29th."

Cunningham feels the Bradley-Alexander winner should get the biggest fight out there. He feels a clash with 3 division champion Juan Manuel Marquez is a clearly a bigger fight than one versus Khan. It is also a fight that could possibly be on pay-per-view.

"If the Bradley-Alexander winner can't get Pacquiao or Mayweather then they should get another big name like (Juan Manuel) Marquez. Marquez wants to try to get a belt at 140. His resume is a lot bigger than Khan's. That's a bigger fight than versus Khan."

The St. Louis based manager and trainer doesn't feel that Khan is on Bradley or Alexander's level.

"Khan has been knocked out before and was out on his feet versus Maidana."

An animated Cunningham continued, "Bradley and Alexander don't need to fight for the right to fight Khan. The winner should get a bigger fight and that is Marquez. The Bradley-Alexander loser can fight Khan."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34839

id say maidana, malignaggi, and kotelnik's scalps are worth quite a bit more than chop chop and urango's (and a witter that quit for no reason and kotelnik who got robbed)

bradley has slightly better than khan with peterson, holt, and witter (that didnt quit for no reason)

1. bradley

2. khan

3. maidana

4. alexander

which is why bradley-alexander should not be for the lineal title

id say maidana, malignaggi, and kotelnik's scalps are worth quite a bit more than chop chop and urango's (and a witter that quit for no reason and kotelnik who got robbed)

bradley has slightly better than khan with peterson, holt, and witter (that didnt quit for no reason)

1. bradley

2. khan

3. maidana

4. alexander

You can balance that out with Khan's loss to Alexander's unbeaten record though.

I will be the first to admit that Khan's record makes for better reading than Alexander's, but I would still put them 1 and 2 when the fight was signed (prior to Khan vs Maidana).

1. bradley

2. khan

3. maidana

4. alexander

You can balance that out with Khan's loss to Alexander's unbeaten record though.

I will be the first to admit that Khan's record makes for better reading than Alexander's, but I would still put them 1 and 2 when the fight was signed (prior to Khan vs Maidana).

fair enough, but khan's loss was also at a lighter weight. the thing that really puts khan ahead of alexander to me is how each did against kotelnik. khan was dominant and alexander got a gift. throw maidana in as well --- maidana lost a very close fight to kotelnik and beat ortiz (and unbeaten but untested cayo). im just not that high on alexander, never have been tbh...

I dont think this is that much of an issue to be honest because I see Bradley dealing with Alexander quite handsomely. Then it doesn't matter a shit what his trainer has to say about Khan, he won't be in the scope for any big money fight until he has re-established himself.

Besides, with ticket sales in the 100s or perhaps low 1000s, it really is a case of "Alexander, who?". Hardly a draw is he? If Marquez does want a fight at 140 then he'd evidenlty be better coming across to the UK and fight infront of 20,000 in the MEN or some similar venue. No question it would sell.

I agree with Grapevine's top 4 at 140lbs.

As for Roach, he HAS seen Davon Alexander fight, that's guaranteed. No top class trainer hasn't watched fight videos of all of his own fighters' potential contenders. He's just talking trash to wind Alexander and his team up.