Juan Manuel Lopez and Yuriorkis Gamboa On a Collision Course

Faulks

Juan Manuel Lopez and Yuriorkis Gamboa On a Collision Course In 2011

By Laz Izada (Contributor) on January 12, 2011

JUAN MANUEL (JUANMA) LOPEZ

The much anticipated featherweight showdown between Puerto Rican Juan Manual Lopez and Cuban Yuriorkis Gamboa should take place this year, 2011, late summer or fall.

If you recall, both fighters, which are promoted by Bob Arum's Top Rank, were suppose to tangle in 2010.

On January 23 of 2010 at Madison Square Garden, Juanma Lopez (30-0, 27 KO's) picked up the WBO World featherweight title by defeating Steven Luevano (37-1-1) by TKO in the seventh round. On the undercard the same night, Yuriorkis Gamboa (19-0,15 KO's) defended his WBA World featherweight title by second round TKO over Rogers Mtagwa (26-13-2).

Arum had mentioned that after there respected separate bouts in New York that night they would meet by the end of the year 2010. It never happened.

This fight needs to happen soon, as both fighters are at there prime—Juanma is 27 while Gamboa is 29. They are exceptionally talented and exciting as they can be knocked down and come back to knock out there opponent.

These two fighters are presently the best in the featherweight division, which Puerto Rico and Cuba have to offer.

Juanma started boxing when he was 10 years old, had an amateur record of 126-24 and competed in the 2004 Olympics for Puerto Rico. As a pro, he has taken on all comers, most recently stopping Mexican legend Rafael Marquez (39-5-0) in the eight round (didn't answer bell) on November 6, 2010.

YURIORKIS GAMBOA

Prior to that, he defeated by TKO in the second round Filipino Bernabe Concepcion (28-3-1) on July 10, 2010.

Bob Arum already has a scheduled date of April 16, 2011 in Puerto Rico for Juanma to defend his WBO World featherweight title—unfortunately, it won't be against Gamboa.

Rumor has it that it will be the former WBA super bantamweight interim champion, Panamanian Ricardo Cordoba (37-3-2), on Showtime.

Gamboa, the IBF/WBA featherweight world champion, which could be said has the quickest hands in boxing, has had over 250 amateur bouts and won the Gold Medal at the 2004 Olympics at flyweight representing Cuba.

Since his defection from Cuba in December, 2006, he has impressed by defeating top veterans like Orlando Salido (34-10-2) in his last bout on September 11, 2010 and other formidable opponents such as Rogers Mtagwa, mentioned earlier, and Al Seeger, Johnnie Edwards and Adailton De Jesus.

Rumors out there have it that HBO has agreed on a fight between Gamboa and Jason Litzau (28-2, 21 KO's) in a date to be determined later. I reached out to Gamboa and Litzau via facebook. Litzau responded that that it was "just rumors," nothing concrete, while Gamboa has not responded yet.

A Gamboa-Litzau matchup might put a Juanma-Gamboa showdown in jeopardy, as "The American Boy," Litzau, is capable of pulling an upset like he did to Celestino Caballero (34-2-0) back on November 27, 2010.

Whatever happens, I feel Bob Arum of Top Rank must make this fight between Juanma and Gamboa happen soon, or we might not see it at all.

Let's keep our fingers crossed—hopefully it will happen in summer or fall of 2011.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/570163-juan-manual-lopez-and-yuriorkis-gamboa-on-a-collision-course-in-2011?

I shall be supporting Gambao if and when this fight happens.

Ive seen them both live and Gamboa excites me a little more than Lopez. That being said its a win win situation as Lopez is up there in my personal top ten

Absolutely Gamboa is a little more exciting with his talents. I was very impressed with how fast he dispatched Matwaga compared to JuanMa.

Despite his talents he seems a little raw.

I know that the Cubans definitely have a better amateur record but amateur fights or very different that prof fights.

Either way I too am thoroughly impressed with him and love to watch him.

The fight could go either way at any time.

JuanMa for me for obvious reasons but mainly because he;'s similar to Wilfredo Gomez.

He literally hangs his chin out having all the confidence in the world that his power will prevail. His fights are always intense as he always has the chance to be knock down but also it could very well and it for certainly does go the other way.

I get anxiety watching his fights and its great. Spectacular match up and I can't wait for it. Win lose of draw.

This is one of those fights where i won't be "supporting" either guy as i like them both. I'll just be hoping the best man wins and enjoy the action.

Same here, I like both fighters, and the best outcome is for both guys to just go for it and provide some entertainment until one of them comes out on top.

It needs to be done this year or very early next year at the latest.

I still fancy one of them to see defeat before it even happens, but the interest will have turned into frustration if it goes on much longer like Wlad vs Haye and Floyd vs Manny.

It's barely worth mentioning either of those fights, it's been such a joke trying to make them...

Fight of the year written all over it (if and when it happens).

Both guys are amongst the most exciting fighters in world boxing. Both of em' are "chin or be chinned" type of guys.

For a prediction, I like Gamboa. I feel he is the more gifted, quicker, more fluid boxer.

Lets hope it gets made.

This is one of those fights where i won't be "supporting" either guy as i like them both. I'll just be hoping the best man wins and enjoy the action.

Same here, I like both fighters, and the best outcome is for both guys to just go for it and provide some entertainment until one of them comes out on top.

I still fancy one of them to see defeat before it even happens, but the interest will have turned into frustration if it goes on much longer like Wlad vs Haye and Floyd vs Manny.

It's barely worth mentioning either of those fights, it's been such a joke trying to make them...

No excuse with this though as Bob owns them both. The blame falls squarely on him if it doesn't get made

No excuse with this though as Bob owns them both. The blame falls squarely on him if it doesn't get made

Aye, he's already said he's just letting them both build up, and they're coping with everyone thrown at them pretty well...

I guess it's fair enough, if they ultimately are going to face each other as #1 and #2 in the division, which they can't be too far off of already?

Fight of the year written all over it (if and when it happens).

Both guys are amongst the most exciting fighters in world boxing. Both of em' are "chin or be chinned" type of guys.

For a prediction, I like Gamboa. I feel he is the more gifted, quicker, more fluid boxer.

Lets hope it gets made.

I couldn't have said it better myself!