Will Boxing give us a Unified Light-Heavyweight King?

RINGNEWS24

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/65d27c06628b6173c6450e3b647d9334_S.jpg

The boxing purist has been cynical of the modern boxing system that has four major sanctioning bodies and an additional lineal champion.* At times, this means we have a WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO, and even a fifth Ring/Lineal champion.* For example, back in 2009 when Manny Pacquiao defeated Ricky Hatton he was given credit for earning a sixth divisional title.* This was because Hatton despite not owning one of the major sanctioning titles was still regarded as the Ring/Lineal champion.* Although the sport of boxing has plethora of major and minor titles there have been modern attempts to try to coronate one unified champion in a division.* Old school boxing fans harp back to the day when there were only eight lineal champions in eight divisions.

More...

Re: Will Boxing give us a Unified Light-Heavyweight King?

For more years than I care to remember, we have had a tiresome LH division. After RJJ we had the likes of Tarver, Dawson and Woods - awful.

The division now has some excitement and match-ups that fans want to see. It's crazy to think that Bhop is still a major player but he is.

Stevenson vs Kovalev is what the networks want to build to and on past form, I'm not sure they want to involve Bhop to spoil the party. Hopkins vs Shumenov makes sense, Shumenov is not a major player. I think Stevenson and Kovalev beat Bhop - Sergey probably more convincingly.

I think this year is a case of the networks building the fights up. Be plenty of good KO's on the way.

BHop (God blessim') is only still a factor because he's avoiding the most dangerous guys in the division. He's more of a circus act these days.

I'm not sure Shumenov is a player, and Pascal is a joke, but Kovalev, Stevenson, and Cloud are all rather serious.

Then you have the EXTREMELY good propsects / contenders all coming up: Fonfara, Beterbiev, Damian Hooper, Egor Mekhontsen (eventually) and Marcus Browne. These guys aren't just good, they're all INSANELY good. Every one a potential challenger to the throne.

Browne has a fight this coming weekend. Can't wait....

Good comments both of ya, Bhop really SHOULD go and I dunno what he hopes to achieve with guys like Sergey and Adonis around. While they weren't, it was another story. But he'd get totally destroyed by both. I can see him going maybe 8-9 rounds with Adonis and even less with Sergey. He'd only get himself stopped and ruin that record.