Rances Barthelemy the new champion - or is he?

RINGNEWS24

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/850c03aee75ee085c721dedabddf8600_S.jpg

Boxing started the new year with something which seems to go hand in hand with the sport - controversy. *At the Target Center in Minneapolis on Friday night, the IBF super-featherweight championship changed hands when mandatory contender, Cuba's Rances Barthelemy, 20-0 (13), knocked out the defending champion Argenis Mendez, 21-3-1 (11), of the Dominican Republic at the end of the second round. *The first televised show of the new year in the US was, overall, very entertaining and full of incident.

More...

Re: Rances Barthelemy the new champion - or is he?

Boxing started the new year with something which seems to go hand in hand with the sport - controversy. *At the Target Center in Minneapolis on Friday night, the IBF super-featherweight championship changed hands when mandatory contender, Cuba's Rances Barthelemy, 20-0 (13), knocked out the defending champion Argenis Mendez, 21-3-1 (11), of the Dominican Republic at the end of the second round. *The first televised show of the new year in the US was, overall, very entertaining and full of incident.

More...

--- It's only controversial because boxing is full of con artists and idjits who conspire to keep the sport in a such a state of stink that any decision they make or verdict they rule goes and is quickly forgotten by the next week and next worst decision in the history of boxing.

Either Barthemely hit Mendez blatantly after the bell or he didn't. Landing a punch already started or in the middle of a ferocious exchange when the bell sounds is not a foul by intent within the realm of physiological capabilities. A judicious referee is supposed to be adjudicating the match, judicious being the inoperative word here since the average ref is nearest to shabby end of the general public spectrum from whence he springs forth with bulging pockets.

Good performance by Rances Barthelemy. True the final blows were slightly after the bell but he was in the process of combination punching, so difficult to stop. Can blame ref but tbh I don't think the result of this fight would have changed. Mendez was just not coping when Barthelemy landed hard.

Good performance by Rances Barthelemy. True the final blows were slightly after the bell but he was in the process of combination punching, so difficult to stop. Can blame ref but tbh I don't think the result of this fight would have changed. Mendez was just not coping when Barthelemy landed hard.

--- Must say, this video pretty much proves the anti-social misanthropes at boxrec, fightnews, and ring are pure stink by claiming a low blow in the final combo.

First KD was a combo where one shot hit the belt that wasn't the KD punch, a debatable foul. The final KD that was a pure KO that Mendez never recovered was well above the beltline. Since my computer is fouled up and I disabled my sound, I can't tell when the bell sounds, but it only took a spare 2 seconds to deliver the final KD, so if the bell sounded as it started, there is almost nothing that could be done to stop it, and apparently the bell malfunctioned because it reportedly sounded twice.

Dunno, I'll see about correcting my sound, but the sheer stupidity creating a controversy our of thin air is what I see. Mendez was on weak legs from the first round. Bears a strong resemblance to Zab Judah in looks and reaction after getting knocked down and remember how many thought Nady prematurely pulled the plug on Judah, sheer idiocy. Nady did some idiotic things in the ring, but nobody was ever more demonstrably knocked out than Judah....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFFHYuqyKYY

Pete Podgorski, who's one of the better Refs on the Midwest Circuit has had better nights, he really should've gotten in there quicker especially given that it was the end of the round, when he should've been ready to step in.

I agree with Rob that it likely didn't change the outcome, Barthelemy was simply the stronger fighter and he had Mendez in trouble from the opening bell. The title changing hands was inevitable, but technically still a foul.

I was disappointed in announcer Todd Grisham, a poor substitute for Joe Tessitore (who was off doing a college football bowl game) mentioning that it's up to the fighter to "protect himself at all times" was kind of a stupid comment. While that might be the case, it doesn't mean punches after the bell (or should I say "bells" as there was more than one) are permissible.

I don't expect the IBF to strip Barthelemy of the title, that would just be a case of two wrongs not making a right. He deserves the title, he performed well and IMO displayed his superiority, but I do think that a immediate rematch should be ordered, and that's what I expect the IBF to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't expect the IBF to strip Barthelemy of the title, that would just be a case of two wrongs not making a right. He deserves the title, he performed well and IMO displayed his superiority, but I do think that a immediate rematch should be ordered, and that's what I expect the IBF to do.

--- Well, the quasi Minnesota commission ruled the punch was illegal and changed the result to no decision.

Don't know what the IBF is gonna do, mum's the word, but you'd think the rematch would invite double or triple the revenues of the first. Rance record here for reference:

Rances Barthelemy - Boxer

--- Well, the quasi Minnesota commission ruled the punch was illegal and changed the result to no decision.

Don't know what the IBF is gonna do, mum's the word, but you'd think the rematch would invite double or triple the revenues of the first. Rance record here for reference:

Rances Barthelemy - Boxer

Yeah, it's not really what Minnesota decided anyway. As long as a rematch happens, everyone will be happy. Let's face it, it'll bring in a purse far bigger than either one of these guys could hope to see against anyone else.

Just can't see this fight happening. Mendez can't make that weight any more and if he tries he will be in danger of doing himself some serious damage. Clearly not himself in the first fight due to losing so much weight. See Lee Beard's comments on Argy's weight-making efforts for confirmation.

Just can't see this fight happening. Mendez can't make that weight any more and if he tries he will be in danger of doing himself some serious damage. Clearly not himself in the first fight due to losing so much weight. See Lee Beard's comments on Argy's weight-making efforts for confirmation.

You make a good point, I didn't think he was going to make weight last time, it'll likely be even a bigger struggle this time.