Warrington stops Mouneimne in 12; wants British title fight in Leeds

boxrec

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/e/e3/Joshwarrington600commonwealth.jpgLeeds featherweight Josh Warrington (16-0) put in a career-best performance last night to claim the vacant Commonwealth title after an epic 12th round stoppage win against Hull’s Samir Mouneimne (12-1-1) at the Hull Ice Arena.

The fight was dubbed a 50/50 fight by lots of the boxing fraternity, as both fighters went into the showdown with unbeaten records. Hull favourite Mouneimne will have been extremely confident beforehand because he appeared to have a slight size advantage over Warrington, and he started the fight well, much to the delight of the home crowd.

Warrington settled down a bit in the second round after some stern words from his father and trainer Sean O’Hagan at the end of the opening session.

“I got a bit giddy and caught up in the moment and I wanted to go in there and take his head off, so my dad told me to slow down and take my time, and go back to the game plan.”

“He was trying to bomb me out of there with single shots, and I knew all I had to do was box cleanly. I rocked him in one of the later rounds with a massive right hook half-way through the fight and I thought I’d have got him out of there but it didn't happen. Then I seemed to fall back to sleep for a bit after that.”

A dental technician by trade, 22-year-old Josh’s punching accuracy and work-rate took over the fight completely after the midway point and he noticed that his opponent was tiring and feeling the effects of his attacks.

“There was a time in the fight between rounds, towards the end of the fight, when Samir looked worriedly into our corner and he was blowing, and my dad told me to jump all over him. It was part of the game plan to tire him out, and I knew my fitness would stand me in good stead.”

The stoppage came in the twelfth round when Josh’s constant pressure finally took it’s toll on the 26-year-old home fighter.

“It feels amazing to be Commonwealth champion and it was always the plan to take him into the later rounds. We knew we’d have a tough fight for the first six rounds but we knew it would be our fight after that.”

Josh is now in good company. Nicky Cook, Scott Harrison, Paul Ingle and Colin McMillan have all won this belt on their way to world title glory. The Leeds United fan now targets a British title fight in Leeds in front of his home fans.

“Yeah I’d love a British title fight at home. The rumour is that (current British champion) Lee Selby is going to vacate it and I should be next in line to fight for it after winning this (the Commonwealth title).”

Some boxing critics had suggested that Josh lacked the power to compete at title level but last night he made some of those critics eat their words with his first professional stoppage victory.

“It’s been a long time coming (a stoppage victory) but I always knew that I had the power to take someone out. I started putting more weight behind by punches in the later rounds and I could hear him wincing in pain.”

Josh, who trains at Batley’s Central Boxing Club went on to thank his fans and his team.

“My fans were terrific. I only sold 60 tickets because the fight was arranged in a bit of a rush. I’d like to thank my manager Steve Wood, my Dad (and trainer Sean O'Hagan) and my other corner men John Tallent and Frank Hopkins. Can you also give a shout out to my strength coach Mark Hurley whose work paid off in the last few rounds, and one of my other coaches, Julian McGowan, who couldn't make it tonight.”

More...