Welsh boxer McGoldrick may earn late Commonwealth gold

WelshDevilRob

Welsh boxer McGoldrick may earn late Commonwealth gold

Welsh boxer Sean McGoldrick could be in line for a belated Commonwealth Games gold medal after champion Manju Wanniarachchi failed a drugs test.

McGoldrick, 18, lost the bantamweight final on countback but the Sri Lankan has tested positive for nandrolone.

He has 14 days in which to request a 'B' sample and has reportedly pulled out of the Asian Games, citing injury.

"I thought Sean did enough to win gold on the day. He'd be a very deserving gold winner," said coach Tony Williams.

At the time Newport-born McGoldrick, who was the youngest of Wales' nine-man boxing team at the Games in Dehli, said he was "a little disappointed" to lose the final but "I tried my best and I'm over the moon with silver".

Wanniarachchi's gold medal was his country's first in boxing in 72 years, and he was hailed as a national hero when he returned home.

Three Nigerian athletes have already produced positive drugs tests from the Games.

Osayemi Oludamola was stripped of her 100m gold medal, Sade Abugan lost two silver medals and Samuel Okon, who was sixth in the men's 110m hurdles, also tested positive.

Source:

www.bbc.co.uk