Roman Martinez Eyes 2011 Return After Cruz Falls Through

Faulks

By Rey Colon

Roman "Rocky" Martinez, who two months ago left England without his undefeated record and title of the WBO at 130-pounds, claims that he hasn't gotten paid for the September 4 unanimous decision loss to Ricky Burns.

"I have not been able to collect the funds from my fight and it's been two months. Frank Warren, the promoter there, has not paid PR Best Boxing and I'm waiting. We're almost two months since the fight and this is my job," said Martinez.

Martinez, after dropping Burns in the first round, got outboxed for the majority of the next eleven and lost a unanimous twelve round decision in a big upset.

"I spoke with Puerto Rico Best Boxing a couple of times and tell me that Warren has not deposited the money. They're waiting for that. Normally I get paid in a week, maybe two. But this time it's been a long time. I hope you something in the coming days. I did my part," Martinez explained.

On the other hand, Martinez said he will not fight until 2011 after PRBBP was unsuccessful in trying to get him a fight in December against undefeated Luis "El Artesano" Cruz, the top company prospect at Miguel Cotto Promotions.

“He said he needed two or three more fights before going against with me and I respect his decision. I will not fight for the remainder of the year. I want to return to the top and be champion but first I want to get paid for my work. Christmas is getting close," Martinez said.