Guillermo Jones moves up to HW on Dec 17

WelshDevilRob

Guillermo Jones moves up to HW on Dec 17

By Crispin Chavarria

As previously reported, the Panamanian WBA cruiserweight champion, Guillermo "El Felino" Jones, will be traveling to Miami, Florida to begin training for his next match. It takes place on December 17 at the American Airlines Arena. The main event will feature a WBC fianl eliminator between Odlanior Solis and Ray Austin. IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud is also slated for the card.

Jones returned on October 2 to defend his crown for the first time in two years and stopped mandatory challenger Valery Brudov of Ukraine. The next opponent has not been confirmed but Jones says that he will likely move up to heavyweight. In recent interviews, Jones has confirmed his desire to fight the likes of WBA champion David Haye. Being a the WBA's champion at cruiser and now moving up, he is almost sure to get a good position in the rankings.

I'm not sure, but can anyone else think of a guy who was a 154 pound champion and fought for the HW title? Roy Jones and James Toney were MW's, but I don't recall anyone from JMW ending up in the HW Division and fighting for a HW title, I think Guillermo Jones would be the first since JMW was created. That's if he gets a shot, which I hope to hell HE DOESN'T. Another guy wasting his time at HW, maybe He and Tarver should fight each other on an Island somewhere and they can both see how little we care.

I wonder what happened to Jones that he took nearly two years off after beating Firat Arslan.

Either way, I wish him good luck. Good fighter.

Heehoo-

A variety of issues were given us, "personal problems" at one point, and then a few physical maladies were mentioned, but mostly it was because he fights for Don King and King could rig it so sitting on the Belt for two years was acceptable to the WBA. Finally when the media and fans started raising a fuss, then WBA President Mendoza said he would be stripped and magically Jones signed for this Brudov defense a couple days later.