Ricky Burns vows to retain world title

The_budweiser

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/airdrieadv/oct2010/2/9/ricky-burns-image-1-439398488.jpg

HE was the hunter and now Ricky Burns is the hunted.

But Coatbridge’s world super-featherweight boxing champion says he will use the fact that he’s a global target as extra motivation in the ring.

The 27-year-old will defend the title he won in sensational fashion last month for the first time when he takes on Andreas Evensen at Braehead Arena on Saturday, December 4.

But Burns has warned his Colombian-born Norwegian opponent that he will be leaving Scotland empty-handed as he bids to avoid becoming a prize scalp.

“I know that when I step into that ring, I will do whatever I can to keep hold of that belt,” said Burns, who was crowned world champ after beating Puerto Rico’s Roman Martinez in a thrilling 12-rounder.

“Knowing that fighters will be desperate to beat me is going to spur me on and give me that extra edge during my training.

“The Martinez win still hasn’t sunk in but that could be a good thing. People say that it’s harder to keep hold of a title than it is to win it.

“The title is what I’ve been working towards during my career. No one is taking this belt off me.”

Evensen’s career to date has seen him win 13 of 14 fights with his last four victories coming by way of knockout.

The 24-year-old, who was born in Bogota but now lives in Melhus, is an unknown quantity, but Burns says plenty of homework will be done.

“We will try and get a couple of DVDs of this guy in action and then we will be able to judge him better,” added Burns, who has a record of 29 wins and two defeats from 31 contests.

“My team will put together the gameplan and I will go out and do the business.

“I always train as a challenger. I don’t feel any different having won the title and in my eyes, that was just another fight. I don’t treat any fight differently.

“I’ve always said the better the guy is in front of me, the better I will perform.

“I’ve got a good chin and I’m willing to fight anybody. I’m sure my team will get me the right fights at the right time.”

Burns has been in demand since beating Martinez and becoming Scotland’s 16th world boxing champion but the Kirkshaws puncher is keeping his feet on the ground and declines the opportunity to revel in the attention.

He said: “I’ve been trying to keep a low profile. I love the boxing side of it all but I like things to go back to normal after a fight.

“I didn’t think the reaction was going to be so intense. Things have quietened down just now but that will only be until the next fight comes around.

“It’s going to be something that I will have to get used to.

“The only night out I’ve had since the fight is when I went fishing with some of my friends! But I’d rather do that than go to nightclubs.”

The announcement of the Evensen bout, made at the Hilton Hotel in Glasgow, means Burns is already back in the gym having postponed a dream trip to Las Vegas with girlfriend Amanda Storrie.

“We had three weeks off after the Martinez fight,” he added. “My girlfriend and I were planning on going on holiday but that’s been put off again because of this fight.

“She’s brilliant with it, though. She understands and knows this is my job.”

l FOR ticket information, call the Braehead Arena on 0844 449 1700. Briefs are priced from £40.

http://www.acadvertiser.co.uk/coatbridge-airdrie-sport/lanarkshire-boxing/2010/10/13/ricky-burns-vows-to-retain-world-title-65864-27455037/