Jump to content

Butcher slaughters Molnar for WBO European flyweight title


Recommended Posts

Iain “Baby” Butcher (8st) made a successful return to the ring since his British flyweight title loss to Kevin Satchell in February, stopping Hungarian Gabor Molnar (7st 11lbs) at the end of the first round at The Ravenscraig Regional Sports Facility in Motherwell.

The local fighter was matched againstMolnar (7st 11lbs) over ten-threes for the vacant WBO European flyweight title. Butcher started cautiously and was respectful of the Hungarians power, evidenced by a 13-3 (nine early) record going in. Butcher was patient and in control of the opener, picking his shots well.

Right at the end of the round Butcher unloaded with a booming right hook that sent Molnar to the canvas. The Hungarian did well to get to his feet, but as the count was nearing ten, he turned his back and held on to the ropes. Referee Kenny Pringle had no option other than to call it off at 3 minutes 6 seconds into round 1.

Prospect Boxing supremo Paul Graham was understandably delighted with Butchers performance and leapt into the ring to hold his man aloft on his shoulders with his new belt. Speaking afterwards Butcher commented:

“I came out in the first round and I thought it was going to be a long night. I saw that he was walking round to my right side and I’m a sensible guy and I prepared for what side he was going to work on. My right side is my strong side and just by luck that’s the side he was walking on to when he walked on to a big punch.

"We took the fight knowing he was a big puncher and we were cautious going in and not overcommitting in case I got caught with a big stupid shot, so I’m glad it went that way as it makes a statement and puts me up the rankings. It’s one of the best punches I have thrown in my career. It was right on the button and I couldn’t have timed it any better.”

Butcher is due to become a Dad within the next few days, and he didn't let the distraction of his heavily pregnant girlfriend ringside distract him from the job in hand. He is hoping to be out again in January or February and, as expected, Butcher and his team are keen for a rematch with Kevin Satchell.

Butcher said “If he is man enough to give me a rematch, well, not Kevin, his management team, if they are man enough to give me a rematch. I am sure Kevin is a boxer like me and would be man enough to go out there and do it again. I’m after the British title and if Kevin wants a re-match I am 100 per cent willing to go for that. Or if he vacates, I will box whoever in the division. I am ready for anybody.”

The fight of the night was a four-threes contest between “Iron” Mike Towell (10st 12lbs) from Dundee and Billy Campbell (10st 10lbs) from New Cumnock. The opening round was a very exciting one for the fans and the large travelling support from Dundee were treated to some great action from their man, with Towell throwing lots of punches to the body of his taller opponent. Both men had success in the opener although the constant body assaults and constant aggression from Towell saw him take the round on the cards.

Campbell threw a cracking left hand at the start of the second round before a great right hand from Towell rocked the man from Ayrshire. Campbell was trapped in the neutral corner as Towell unloaded a barrage of punches. Referee Kenny Pringle rescued Campbell while he was still on his feet at 49 seconds into round 2.

The closest contest of the evening was the show opener between Rhys Pagan (10st 13lbs) from Sanquhar, Scotland and Chris Jenkinson (11st 3lbs) from Bolton. Pagan entered the ring with a piper playing “Scotland the Brave” and he was soon showing his bravery as the fight began. Pagan started brightly using the jab well, although the punch of the round was a big right hook from the Englishman. Pagan’s punches were not having much effect on Jenkinson and it was the Bolton man that started brighter in the second round throwing a lovely body shot followed by an accurate backhand. Pagan threw plenty, however they were landing mainly on Jenkinson’s gloves.

Both men unloaded at the start of round three and Pagan took the round throwing good combinations. There was a lot of action in a close and competitive fourth round - there was not much to split them, but the more accurate punches from Pagan edged the round. The Scotsman started round five with a great uppercut and he was the busier man with the left hand working well for the home fighter. I gave the last to Jenkinson although there was little to split them. Triallist referee Gerry O’Neill officiated inside the ring with Kenny Pringle scoring from ringside 58-56 to Pagan which matched my card.

Ronnie “The Shark” Clark from Dundee was disappointed when his opponent pulled out earlier in the day and despite a lot of effort from the promoters, a suitable opponent couldn’t be found. Clark didn’t want to let down the large travelling support and he boxed a four-twos exhibition with former Commonwealth Light-Welterweight challenger Eddie Doyle. It was a great shame for promoters Prospect Boxing who were also dealt a blow when JP McGuiness had to be withdrawn from the card after failing his medical.

Making up the card was a six-threes contest with former Commonwealth light welterweight challenger Mitch Prince (10st 3lbs) from Cumbernauld taking on Slovakian Ivan Godor (10st 3lbs). It was a fast start from Prince in the opening round as he mixed up his shots throwing a lot to both the head and body. There was little coming back from Godor in the opener. Prince started to use the jab more in the second as it looked even this early on that a points victory might be on the cards. The pace slowed in round three and a clash of heads worried Prince although there was no cut caused. It didn’t take long in round four for a head clash as Godor pilled straight forward with the head and opened a cut above Prince’s left eye. The cut spurred Prince into action as he upped the pace to take the round.

There was a flurry of action at the start of round five as both men stood and traded. Prince landed a nice uppercut and was getting the better of the exchanges. It was a busy night for cuts man Benny King in Prince’s corner, and another clash of heads in round six opened up another cut on the home fighters head. Godor threw plenty late on, however many of his shots were slaps and were thrown with little power. The better work came from Prince who ran out a 60-54 winner for referee Kenny Pringle.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...