Wales' Nathan Cleverly wins writers' young boxer award

The_budweiser

European light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly has won the Boxing Writers' Young Boxer of the Year award.

Welshman Cleverly, 23, was beaten to the title by Sheffield's Kell Brook last year but has impressed in 2010.

The Cefn Fforest fighter defeated Karo Murat in Birmingham last month in a final eliminator for the WBO title.

"I am delighted and honoured to have won," said undefeated Cleverly, who also passed his maths degree at Cardiff University earlier this year.

Having defeated Murat in Birmingham last month, Cleverly is now on the verge of fighting for the full WBO crown.

But that title could become vacant if champion Juergen Braehmer fails in his appeal against a 16-month prison sentence for assault and insulting behaviour.

His 10th-round stoppage over Murat saw Cleverly become unbeaten in 20 fights, with 10 finishing inside the scheduled finish. He is only the ninth Welshman to have picked up the honour.

"Britain has some of the most knowledgeable journalists in the world when it comes to boxing, and their backing is a terrific boost," said Cleverly.

"Now I have to repay their faith by winning a world title."

His promoter Frank Warren added: "This award reflects the hard work that Nathan has put in over the last 12 months, and I cannot think of a more deserving recipient.

"I said after his last fight that he will be remembered alongside the likes of Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton, and I am expecting big things of him over the next year or so."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/9053290.stm