Frank Warren Wins Purse bid for sexton-williams

gemmell100

warren// warren// warren//

Promoter Frank Warren today won the purse bids to stage the British Heavyweight title clash between the title holder Danny Williams and challenger Sam Sexton. The Norwich puncher is looking forward to his showdown with the 'Old Guard' of the domestic scene and relieving him of his position. Sexton stopped Martin Rogan in Belfast last month to retain his Commonwealth crown and now wants to add the prestigious Lonsdale belt to his collection. Williams was last in action in October in the Prizefighter tournament when he lost to Carl Baker, but was allowed to keep hold of the British title..

Sexton said, "Danny has been at the top of the British scene for years so I'm looking forward to testing myself against him,"

"He first won the British Heavyweight title in a memorable fight against Mark Potter with a dislocated shoulder - and that was while I was still in secondary school!"

"I have to admit that Danny was a boxer I admired when I was an amateur so it's going to be hard getting in their and beating him up to get the British title, but it's something I have to do,"

Even though Sexton is the younger and fresher man, he is still wary of Willams' power.

He added, "Danny still carries a bang and can take you out with either hand so it's something I am going to have to watch out for,"

"My trainer Graham Everett did a great job planning the strategy to beat Rogan and he is already working on the plan to beat Williams."

A date and venue for the fight will be announced shortly.